• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

38mm Plugged & Tapped Forward Closure

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm looking for an AT compatible 38mm forward closure that is plugged and tapped. I believe Rouse Tech was the only maker, but I could easily be wrong. Doesn't have to look pretty, but obviously needs to be functional.

If you have one available, please PM me an offer. For ease please include shipping (no rush needed) to 75040 in price.

Thanks
Chris

I got one from Wildman 45.00 if you can't find one.

But long before they came out I took a standard closure and modified it for recovery attachment.
Just drill through the knurled knob and used a #6 machine screw/bolt & some 1/4 kevlar.
The plus is, you can remove the bolt and use it as motor eject if need be.

Very simple mod that will save you money. Knowing what I do now, i wouldn't have bought one.
It's 1.5 inches shorter, than the tapped/eyebolt if room is a concern. The darn tapped one uses a 5/16 eyebolt which is huge and weighs a ton.

DSCN3818.jpg DSCN3820.jpg DSCN3822.jpgDSCN3823.jpg

edit; blue is just a section of plastic straw I placed over the threads so they could not cut into the Kevlar.

Last edited:
Used when i see the plugged and extended closures for 38 and 54mm they are almost always just plugged..not tapped.

Kenny

Or you could use the end burning forward closure which is tapped, and go without tracking smoke since there is no delay well.

Or you could use the end burning forward closure which is tapped, and go without tracking smoke since there is no delay well.

Is it still considered a certified motor at that point for NAR purposes? In other words, can I leave stuff out and it still be certified? Also, is what CJ suggested considered motor modification? I'm not trying to start a war over what should be allowed, but I'm trying to understand where the line is.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I have the end burn style closure so if that is Kosher I'm already set.

I think there was a thread on this before and someone here posed the question to Aerotech about using the EBFC, and they ok'd it. I think as far as being a certified motor, Aerotech blessing the use of it is good enough for NAR and TRA. If someone knows better please chime in. I've used it several times in regular bates grain 38mm motors.

edit: scroll down to post 19 in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?21185

Last edited:
Wow,,,
Very cool CJ...
Dats a great idea...
Much easier then having your buddy weld on a short piece of aluminum bar stock and drillin an tappin it..........

Very cool agin..........

Teddy

Back