StrataloggerCF common ground?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llrocketry

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Stratalogger CF uses a common ground for the drogue and main connections? If so do you know specifically which ones?

Wanted to connect them to a single switch to disable both charges with a single switch instead of using two switches (then a third to cut power to the altimeter itself).

I have tried emailing them, but getting a response from them sometimes is like pulling teeth. (sorry to say)

On my CF the grounds are independent as the power connection is common. Measuring the pins from the 'DROGUE' silk on the PCB (calling that closest pin pin 1, my CF is currently mounted so I can't check the pad shapes to confirm which pin is truly pin 1 on the screw terminals, apologies if I got it wrong), the first and third pins are shorted, and there's about 100kΩ impedance between pins 1-2 and 3-4, but my DMM reads open circuit between pins 2 and 4. Applying power, I see the battery voltage on pins 1 and 3, and pins 2 and 4 are open (low, though if an e-match was attached they should read high, and would be grounded by the CF when it fires each event). So the CF doesn't apply power to fire the charge, it connects the normally-floating ground, meaning the battery voltage is always present on two of the pins, pins 1 & 3 as I numbered them.

As a circuit designer for the past 16 years, I'll admit that this is generally the easier way to go, but it certainly seems more risky. Should anything accidentally ground either charge lead (relative to the battery's ground that is) it will either go off or short the battery depending on which lead it is. Granted in a rocket there's probably no more likely to be a common ground since things are usually made of wood (I'm more used to the world where everything's on the same PCB [or interconnected PCBs] with a common ground, with grounded cases, etc., so there's lots of risk in things coming in contact with ground), but my personal preference would be for a common ground and only applying a positive voltage to the charge the moment it's fired. It wouldn't really make testing the circuit any harder either, with common-power you have to deal with the battery voltages when comparing the leads to test resistance, if there was a ground reference you'd only have to apply a weak pull-up and see how the match reacts but the voltages would all be right around ground, should be easier for the IC to deal with. The P-FETs that would be required to do this generally aren't quite as low-resistance as the N-FETs (at the same size & cost) for the common-power approach, but personally I don't think the small trade-off here would be a big deal for a deployment circuit.

Last edited:
Will, that's likely what you would see with almost all DD computers. Typically, n-channel enhancement mode FETs are used for the output, so the +V side is common and the GROUND side is switched. Using a p-channel FET would be a problem because when you turn it on there may be a brief moment when the gate is held to ground by the MCU, so your igniter might fire as soon as you power up. Using an n-channel FET with a gate-ground resistor, you have to bring the gate high to switch on the FET, and that isn't gonna happen unless you tell the MCU to do it.

FYI, Eggtimers are a little different because I use bipolar output transistors... GROUND is common and +V is switched.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the terminal arrangement.

JD

Well page 6 doesn't say if there is a common ground to the two connections (drogue and main). Just because there are separate connections for each connection doesn't mean that one pin on each isn't tied to a common ground on the board. May have to run some tests to verify.

Back