What's The Frequency Computer???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
My Computer sucks, and before it dies for the final time, I wanted to ask what it means when the screen suddenly goes to this "Frequency Out Of Range" message???
What the heck stupid computer???!!!

What's The Frequency 003.jpg

:confused:

That's just one of its many problems. Thankfully, there is a place nearby that sells refurbished Computers, and I'll be rid of this thing tomorrow.

I just googled it and found out that it is some computery thing about refresh rates and other things I'll never understand.
Perhaps I'll make a video of me Bump-firing my AR into this Computer Tower after I get my new one, then post it in this Thread.
The only shame is that all the Pics I have stored in this one will be gone, but it would'nt be the first time I've lost years worth of Pics' in one fell swoop, so I guess I'll get over it and continue looking forward and never back.

If you haven't changed anything on your computer recently... (if you have, try changing it back the way it was)

Then possibly a bad video card.

Try rebooting the computer and hold down the F8 key - to boot into windows safe mode. That uses basic video settings and and may let you get back into the PC.

At any rate - save/remove the hard drive before you "shoot-em-up". No reason you can't still get all the pictures and stuff you want to save off the drive - by connecting up to the new PC.

There's a good chance the files in your hard drive are just fine. Before you blow the old one away, take the hard drive out. You can get an enclosure for $25 or $30 that you can put the drive in and then plug it into a USB port and read the files. The refurb computer place may even be able to do this for you.

The monitor has a given frequency range at a particular resolution. Your video card is likely running at too high of a frequency. Assuming Windows boot into safe mode, which will load basic video drivers and will allow you past it.

My Computer sucks, and before it dies for the final time, I wanted to ask what it means when the screen suddenly goes to this "Frequency Out Of Range" message???
What the heck stupid computer???!!!

View attachment 253440

:confused:

That's just one of its many problems. Thankfully, there is a place nearby that sells refurbished Computers, and I'll be rid of this thing tomorrow.

Monitors have something called an "EDID" extended display identification data. Simply put a monitor tells your computer what resolution, refresh/scan rate it should be set to, etc. So the message at a high level is simply your monitor saying I can't handle what you're trying to do. This can occur for many reasons, if your have a bad or the incorrect monitor or graphics driver, problem with the hardware, or some other issue with your system, etc...the point being there are many causes and it's not always just about selecting the right settings to resolve the issue, you may have to try a few things or replace hardware.

Quick easy things to do would be if there is a reset to defaults option on the monitor then reset it, look-up the latest driver for the graphics card, look for an optimal driver for the monitor. One thing to keep in mind, although MS update may download some drivers these are not always the latest, just the latest certified drivers...so go to the manufactures site. Also when installing drivers deselect all the garbage they come bundled with, if you don't use the features then don't install them, just install the basic driver for the device. Graphics cards are brutal for this.

A note on monitor drivers. One mistake most people make, sadly including poorly trained technicians, is they simply use the generic monitor driver and don't give it a second thought. This is because in most cases it will work. However it may not be optimal in some cases so you should take 5 min to look to see if the monitor manufacturer has created drivers for the specific monitor you have, if so use them.

TVs will do this as well, something causes the TV and device providing the signal to the TV to get out of sync. Your video card is probably giving up the ghost...I doubt anything is wrong with your hard drive.

FC

I hope you read this before you go to get your new computer. You can take the hard drive out of your old computer, and have it installed in your new computer as a "slave" drive. *Hopefully* your new computer will have a DVD burner in it. You can copy all your pictures and other important files onto a DVD and put it somewhere safe.

You might also want to invest in one of these:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/285941/EZ-Connect_USB_to_SATA-IDE_Adapter

it will allow you to connect just about any kind of hard drive to a computer through the USB port. It's cheap insurance just to have on hand.

Several computers ago, I had one that wad just a lemon from the get-go.
One of my greatest pleasures in life [next to destroying a 280Z that had boxed in my truck by parking 1in from my bumper] was the day I had "enough".

No more time or money, or those long call to India on hold..................opened the upstairs window & pitched the damn thing out onto the street.
Watching it shatter into a zillion pieces on impact just felt so good it was obscene...............

looking forward to the day you post pics of your new range target full of bullet holes! [and free yourself of misery]

After you remove and back up your hard drive, you could take the computer out for a beat down...

[video=youtube;fjsSr3z5nVk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjsSr3z5nVk[/video]

[video=youtube;jWkMhCLkVOg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWkMhCLkVOg[/video]

s6

Top, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Did you pull the trigger on some new technology or did the refurb shop hook you up with another Vista machine ? :wink: :)

That's what happens after you let the folks from "Microsoft", who call and tell you there's a problem with your computer and always seem to have an East Indian accent, walk you through the "fix" on the phone.

Just kidding, if that had happened they'd also try and sell you the solution after they screwed it up.

Definitely an issue with the video card and the refresh rate.

That's what happens after you let the folks from "Microsoft", who call and tell you there's a problem with your computer and always seem to have an East Indian accent, walk you through the "fix" on the phone.

Just kidding, if that had happened they'd also try and sell you the solution after they screwed it up.

Definitely an issue with the video card and the refresh rate.

When I get those kind of calls I simply tell them I don't own a Computer and hang up. They wait a month or so, then call again.:confused2:

Anyhow, the Computer Store only had one refurb, but it was beyond my means today, so I came home and put this one back into service.
It runs, and after being unplugged overnight and sitting next to the front door, it seems to have gotten the message, and allowed me to do a restore successfully.
They said that they are moving away from Vista Refurbs because of the problems, and that I should check back with them about something with atleast Windows 7. The one refurb they had had 7.
I will heed the advice here, and have the Computer Store do whatever they do to save my Drive when I can finally get a new one.
Thanks for the explanations of the "Frequency Thing".

The really crappy part is that now that I got the thing running, I don't dare play the built in Mahjong Game, as it was crashing during that sometimes. I love Mahjong Titans!!!
Maybe I'll try it???? I can make the Settings so that it does'nt do anything fancy when I get a match. No "Animations".

Must...play...Mahjong...Titans... Matching... game!!! My Brain needs its Fix!!!

Several computers ago, I had one that wad just a lemon from the get-go.
One of my greatest pleasures in life [next to destroying a 280Z that had boxed in my truck by parking 1in from my bumper] was the day I had "enough".

No more time or money, or those long call to India on hold..................opened the upstairs window & pitched the damn thing out onto the street.
Watching it shatter into a zillion pieces on impact just felt so good it was obscene...............

looking forward to the day you post pics of your new range target full of bullet holes! [and free yourself of misery]

Know that feeling well... had an engine governor go out on the combine and took it off and brought it into the shop and spent about 3 hours trying to dismantle the thing to rebuild it... nothing would come apart no matter how hard I tried...

It finally came apart quite well after about six licks with a 6 pound sledge hammer... at least I felt better!

Went in the house, had a glass of iced tea, and started looking through aftermarket parts catalogs to order a replacement. Had it in a couple days or so...

Sometimes when you've done all you can do and your frustration level is at about 940%, it's just good to smash unfixable stuff to smithereens... :)

Later! OL JR :)

PS. get your pics off the drive first, or have someone do it for you... My computer melted down suddenly a few years ago and the drive was unretrievable... lost several years worth of research and about a gazillion photos... Now I keep 2 forms of backup...

The really crappy part is that now that I got the thing running, I don't dare play the built in Mahjong Game, as it was crashing during that sometimes. I love Mahjong Titans!!!
Maybe I'll try it???? I can make the Settings so that it does'nt do anything fancy when I get a match. No "Animations".

Must...play...Mahjong...Titans... Matching... game!!! My Brain needs its Fix!!!

I don't know what your budget is but you might want to take a look at Newegg. I picked up a reburb from them a couple of years ago at a reasonable price.

+1 on Newegg and refurbished computers. When I started looking at upgrading my main home computer from XP to Windows 7 when
Microsoft announced the end of support for XP, I found that I could buy a refurbished Lenovo desktop with all the bells and whistles I
wanted and Windows 7 already loaded for little more than the price of an OEM Windows 7 license. It has served me well.

Newegg for the refurb. I prefer desktops as my main computer. I also do not buy home grade computer- only business class. Better hardware, better driver support.

I recommend the HP Business class. Check this out
https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIA42J1UY8680

This not going to be a world beating gaming system, but for the vast majority of people would be a very adequate system.

I'm logged in now as "Guest", and that seems to keep the computer from crashing. Problem free since last night.
Thanks for all the Tips. I'll check out the Newegg thing.
The good thing about Computer Barn is that they are nearby, and they warranty their used computers, so if you ever have an issue you can just bring it in and they'll take a look at it and usually fix it free of charge.
I got my son a Computer there last year, and once he screwed it up and messed up the "Drivers" or some computer jargon stuff that I don't understand. We brought it back, expecting to pay them to fix it, but they said that while repairing it they discovered that there was a problem with the Hard Drive, so they put a brand new one in, and the only one they had to install was slightly better than the one they took out. They said that since it was still under warranty it was free of charge! Not bad for a used Computer that I only paid $179 for.
If I can afford a new one next month, my Budget for it will be about $170ish.

Thanks for the Replies and help.

If I can afford a new one next month, my Budget for it will be about $170ish.

Microcenter has an off-lease refurb for $170. Looks like a pretty sweet deal:

HP Elite 6000 Desktop Computer

• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.9GHz
  • 4GB DDR3 RAM
  • 160GB Hard Drive
  • DVD-ROM Drive
90 day parts/labor warranty.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/441654/Elite_6000_Desktop_Computer_Off_Lease_Refurbished

Doesn't say, but I assume its got some version of Windows 7 installed. They also have less expensive refurb computers for sale.

I'm logged in now as "Guest", and that seems to keep the computer from crashing. Problem free since last night.

This may sound obvious but generally if you log into a system with another account and the computer does not exhibit the same symptoms, then that is a good indicator that your problem is software/settings related, specifically something about your profile...but not always.

If you want to short track it vs. continuing to try to figure out what the issue is, then you're heading down the right road. Continue to use the PC for a bit more, or until you're satisfied the issue is gone then you can do the following. If the name of the old user account was important to you, then rename the old account, create a new one using with the same name then do a clean manual file move. Common user files being documents, some application data, internet browser shortcuts, etc. Once done you can go back and disable the "Guest" account and delete the old user profile. There is a bit more to it than that so if you decide to do this you should ask about best practices.

Keep in mind that you may end up with the same issue, assuming it's not hardware or system related but user related, if you create the same config you had before which caused it. Just make sure that you make changes incrementally so if a problem shows up you have a short list to go back over.

The most important thing is to back up to external media or a cloud service. Something tells me you aren't likely to favor the cloud, so get a couple USB sticks or whatever works for you and copy your pictures, documents, etc. to them for safe keeping. Cheap and easy insurance!

Back