US Fast Food Restaurants as Rated by Customers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
CRM_Consumer_Reports_Taste_Champs2_08-14.jpg

My favorites are clustered right in the middle:

Freddy's (a Steak 'n Shake clone for areas without Steak 'n Shakes, but much more expensive than SnS)
Steak 'n Shake - huge large fries (in what I would call a bucket), good burgers, CHEAP since you can specifically order an already cheap combo "without drink" (hugely overpriced sugar water)
Hardees/Carl's Jr. - very tasty with a probably highly unhealthy menu with regular variation/additions

McDonalds is deservedly at the very bottom. McDonalds doesn't even bother to toast their buns any more because they claim customers no longer wanted them to do so which I say BS. "Here's your cold, stiff bun."

I bought an Egg McMuffin the other day for the first time in many years and couldn't believe it was $3.69 for it alone, not a combo. I said something about it and found a free fruit pie in my bag after I drove away. So, complain and you might get something free as I'll bet this is a policy and not a random act of kindness. The cashier was the only one I made the "I can't believe a single McMuffin costs this much," comment to, so there might either be some "customer complained" annotation on the fulfillment order or he just added the free pie himself, by policy.

By comparison to the McD buns, Carl's Jr. (aka Hardee's depending upon region) actually bakes their buns and biscuits on-site fresh each day.

For some reason, there's no decent fried (not baked) fish sandwiches at any large-chain fast food joint I can find (and, no, the McD's fish sandwich doesn't count as "decent").

Hmmm... I trend toward the bottom of the list... LOL:) Probably because I'm cheap... That, and seems like the most numerous joints are also the lowest rated ones, but are the easiest to find since they're *everywhere*...

McD's gets a lot of our business when we travel, if for no other sake than cheapness and convenience. They're not as good as they used to be, and that's saying something, because they were never that great to begin with. I do like Jack in the Box a lot better, but they're plentiful in our area and practically nonexistent in others. Same with Whataburger, though basically the only thing I like on their menu anymore is the BBQ chicken strip sandwich on Texas toast, and of course their breakfast burritos (taquitos). Having to eat Whataburger practically every Friday and Saturday night for nearly 2 years when I was driving the debate team on the schoolbus (since they were the ONLY fast-food chain that would actually keep their lobby UNLOCKED after 10 pm, and it's impossible to drive a school bus through a drive-through, therefore WB was our ONLY choice since the kids generally ate between 11pm and midnight or even later depending on when/where the debate was!) kind of ruined it for me!

I prefer KFC "original" over Church's most of the time, but will get Church's chicken on occasion for "something different". Never been that impressed with Popeye's... Don't care for Chik-Fil-A... too darn expensive for what you get! I can spend $8 bucks or more in Chik-Fil-A and what you get on your tray isn't enough to fill a hollow tooth. Screw that... If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather put a little more with it and go someplace else and get better food and more of it! I'm sorta the same way about Burger King-- they're too expensive for what you get... at least McD's is cheap... (for the most part).

Never been impressed with Carl's Junior either... just 'meh' food. I prefer Sonic truth be told. I tried a "Steak N Shake" up in Tennessee... okay but not that memorable. We've been to Culver's in Indiana and they ARE very good, worth the time and money... never heard of most of the others except White Castle (which Betty UTTERLY DESPISES, and I've found less than memorable) and "Fuddruckers" which we do have a few around our area, but again-- $9 dollar cheeseburger-- forget it... I'd rather spend $13 bucks and have a good seafood plate at Red Lobster or something... heck there's some local steakhouses and cafe's that serve a full plate lunch for less than that! No way am I spending THAT kind of money on a friggin' burger!

Don't care for subs-- again... spend all that money for a friggin' COLD SANDWICH?? Not me... If I want a flippin cold sandwich, i'll get a package of ham or turkey cold cuts, a loaf of wheat bread, a little jar of sandwich spread or mustard, and a pack of American cheese and have sandwiches for 3-4 days for the cost of ONE flipping cold sandwich from one of those "Subway" type joints... At least Quiznos are toasted, so I WILL eat one of those every once in a blue moon... otherwise, FORGET IT! I DO really like the Arby's "French Dip" sandwich and of course their "chocolate flip" dessert pastries...

Burritos and Mexican... again, I trend to the cheapest... If I want "fast Mexican" food, it's pretty much Taco Bell here, for lack of alternatives. We DO enjoy Taco John when were up in Indiana and Kentucky, but we don't have them here. I'm not particularly fond of the "higher end" fast-food type Mexican/burrito joints on the list... We have "Freebirds" and "panera" joints here, but IMHO they're too expensive and again, if I'm going to spend THAT kind of money, I'll go to any number of GOOD local Mexican restaurants and have a FULL MEAL of REAL Mexican food for about the same money...

I notice no "fast seafood" joints were even ranked... We USED to have Captain D's and Long John Silvers... our LJS went broke and sat vacant a long time and now is a local mexican cafe, though we still have our Capt. D's. My folks used to LOVE eating there-- I was less impressed. It finally got to where I could count on having a case of the trots the next day after eating there, and a bad case of gas and gut pain that evening after eating there, probably because of the oil (not filtered or changed enough IMHO) so I quit eating there... haven't been in there in years. There's only TWO LJS's in the entire SW Houston region (within about 60 miles) and so we don't hardly ever have them either because they're both in Houston, and I DESPISE going into Houston if I can help it. We DO enjoy a good LJS when we're in Indiana or Kentucky though...

Later! OL JR :)

I too am a big 5 Guys fan. Also, I think the peppers that Potbelly puts on their sub is enough to push them into the top 3 alone.

Five Guys gets my vote... I'm surprised that Red Robin didn't make the list (perhaps wrong type of restaurant).
Chipotle... AWESOME! I love their burritos! :drool:

In my area, we've got a Popeye's that's about 17 miles away, the El Pollo Loco closed a couple of years ago.

Most of the sub joints I've never seen or heard of.

I've eaten at Micky D's, A&W, KFC, Burger King and Taco Bell stateside and the only one I'd try again is Taco Bell. The burgers at Micky D's taste like sawdust....nothing at all like the MacDonalds up here.

I like Five Guys for burgers and Firehouse subs.
We have a few Firehouse Subs here, so I'll have to give them a try. Love Five Guys, too, but they are definitely not cheap and their gut-busting large fries are fantastic, but are rated as the least healthy (by far) of any chain, so they aren't a regular stop for me. The general rule, unfortunately - less healthy foods taste best for most people.

If you haven't tried Smashburger, they're great, too, but not cheap.

Interesting to have this turn up here....

The highest ranking burger place on the list I've eaten at more than once is Burgerville (mostly Oregon with a few in Washington below Seattle a ways). They are quite good, especially when they have Walla Walla Sweet onion rings in season (and they make a bacon cheeseburger with Tillamook pepper jack cheese....yum). Otherwise it's Wendy's or Jack in the Box or if I really get a hankering for a Quarter Pounder I'll do McDs (not often). Oddly enough, there is a Five Guys place within walking distance of my desk at work and I've never tried 'em. I guess I need to. We did try In-n-Out when we took our son to school in San Diego. No idea why it's so high on the list....

Also within walking distance is a Jimmy John's (which I visit about once a week) and a Potbelly (which I've tried once). I guess you can see what my preference is there. For hot sandwiches and soup - Panera (and there's one of those I can walk to as well). Panera is a favorite when my wife and I want to go up a level from Wendy's.

No Chick-Fil-A in our area, but I managed to try it a couple of times when I drove to NARAM last year (obligatory rocket content! :D ). I was favorably impressed.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm gonna be that person that stands up for McD's since I am employed there and know the truth. While McDonald's is not by far the best or healthiest option, some of the statements made are false. Unless it is totally different in your area, all the buns are still toasted as the sandwiches are made as they used to be. Also to the guy that complained and got the pie, that is not usually policy but a way to try to satisfy the customer. While the job isn't the most luxurious, it's not all that bad especially as a teen making money....

These days, in a years time , I don't consume enough "FastFood" to make a good turd.
Back when I did eat that stuff, Wendys ,Taco Bell,DiaryQueen, worked for me.
The "first" shoe-string fast food style french-fries I had was in Brockton MA. I believe a place called "Henrys" in the early 60s.

Edit...https://www.henryshamburgers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64&Itemid=56
There was a Henry's Hamburgers in Dorchester on Dorchester Ave. ... When I was a teenager I worked at the store in Brockton, MA.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with McDonalds. I know that all the cool kids are supposed to hate McDonalds and Wal mart and so on. But I think the food is just fine. Fries are outstanding and breakfast sandwiches are better than average.

Same thing goes for Taco Bell. I don't think it actually belongs in the same category as most of the other choices there.

A lot of these places are limited in geographical availability as well. I would eat a lot of In-N-Out and Schlotzky's, for example, if they were anywhere around. Although for as good as the burgers are, In-N-Out's fries are pretty atrocious.

I pride myself on not eating that kind of stuff, but back when I did Popeyes Chicken was my favorite.
They don't have them up north here though.

This poll is proof positive drug use is still rampant in our society.

While I would never argue Mickey D's burgers are the ultimate in ground beef magnificence, I will say one thing: they beat the holy flaming Hades out of White Castle 27 ways from every Sunday.

I am not sure if White Castle burgers are what you would get if you left diseased horse flesh to rot in the sun for two weeks or to linger in the bowels of some other animal for about a month, but I am pretty sure it's one or the other.

Their chicken sandwiches and chicken rings are -- ohhh, I would say, only moderately below average -- but everything White Castle calls a "burger" should be launched atop a Delta IV Heavy to ultimate destruction in the nether regions of Uranus.

Five Guys is pretty decent, but pricey and more like a sit-down restaurant than a burger joint. Culver's is yummy but so rich my tummy can't take it.

-- but everything White Castle calls a "burger" should be launched atop a Delta IV Heavy to ultimate destruction in the nether regions of Uranus.

Isn't that where it ends up eventually anyway?? LOL:)

Maybe "burn up in the upper atmosphere and the ashes fall on Russia" or something might have been better... LOL:)

We have 5 Guys and Bobs Burgers and Brews here, but for a good burger made fresh I like a Washington state only place called Zips (actually might be a couple in N. Idaho), about the same as Wendy's price-wise, for chicken we only have KFC, Tacos are Taco Bell and Taco Time (we might have a Taco Johns), Jimmy Johns is here (haven't been there yet), Quiznos Subs ( I love em), Subway when I'm in the mood (worked at one while in college at Rexburg, ID), McD's well the BigMac is one of my faves, and my son wont eat any chicken nugget but a McD's (we know weve tried). Red Robin is a popular place around here, and there more Mexican and Chinese restraunts than you can shake a stick at and most are horrible especially the buffets, but we do have a few I think are very good too!

If you haven't had a Smashburger, try one. I liked 5 Guys best until I had a SB. Nothing beats a properly griddled burger with a griddle toasted bun, no cheese, with mustard light ketchup, pickles and onions. Otherwise known as an "All American Burger".

In And Out is good if you get a 4x4 and don't mind a mess...

Burgerville is good. Wish we had them here. Strangely, I think they have the best chicken strips.

Culver's is a nice treat sometimes. Good Juicy "Butter" burgers.

Portillo's is better in Chicago than Arizona.

Freddy's is starting to open stores here. I can get a good burger and hot dog together.

Interesting that the white castle in Nevada had to close for a few hours after selling 4,000 burgers an hour for the first 12 hours straight. I like them, but not likely to stand in line for them. They are not all that great... Unless you're drunk.

Del Taco probably has the best fries of all things.

Didn't we have a burger thread here a few years back? :D

Last edited:
If you haven't had a Smashburger, try one. I liked 5 Guys best until I had a SB. Nothing beats a properly griddled burger with a griddle toasted bun, no cheese, with mustard light ketchup, pickles and onions. Otherwise known as an "All American Burger".

Burgerville is good. Wish we had them here. Strangely, I think they have the best chicken strips.

Culver's is a nice treat sometimes. Good Juicy "Butter" burgers.

Portillo's is better in Chicago than Arizona.

Freddy's is starting to open stores here. I can get a good burger and hot dog together.

Interesting that the white castle in Nevada had to close for a few hours after selling 4,000 burgers an hour for the first 12 hours straight. I like them, but not likely to stand in line for them. They are not all that great... Unless you're drunk.

Del Taco probably has the best fries of all things.

Didn't we have a burger thread here a few years back? :D

Del Taco... wow... didn't even know they still existed...

We ate at Del Taco's on vacation when I was a kid... liked them MUCH better than Taco Bell... never have seen another one though, and I'm not sure where were when we ate at the ones we ate at back then...

Wish we had one around here...

It’s amazing how many of these I have never heard of much less ever tried.

I don’t know about elsewhere in the U.S. of A. but here where I live the quality of all of the “Fast Food” franchises’ offerings has rapidly gone into the crapper.

Currently I can still get a decent pizza from my town’s “Pizza Hut” and a good sandwich from “Subways”.
Meanwhile I haven’t been to the local “Carl’s Jr”, “Arby’s”, “Mc Donald’s”, “Taco Bell”, “KFC”, “Sonic” etc in YEARS.

Even the quality in the “Sit Down” establishments has taken a serious dive not to mention the price increases over the past few years.

In the long run I suppose this saves me a bunch of money but dang I miss the convenience these establishments offered back when they were actually fit to eat at.

No In & Outs around here, but if they put mini versions in Kum & Go convenience stores, we might get some.

If they ever open Steak & Shakes in your area, try them out. Freddy's is a much more expensive clone (officially admitted) of Steak & Shake with significantly smaller portions. The only advantage they have on S&S is their frozen custard deserts.

Interesting mix of sit-down restaurants (like the Fuddruckers and Boston Market) and the quick-eat or drive-thru type restaurants.

For the record, the In-N-Out place not only has the best (overall) burgers, fries, and shakes, but even if they didn't, their staff are overall the politest and well-trained staff out there, which would jump them to the head of the line anyway.

I'm a vegetarian, but I will go through the In-N-Out drive through for my dogs on special occasions...they enjoy the double-meats with no onions.

For the record, the In-N-Out place not only has the best (overall) burgers, fries, and shakes, but even if they didn't, their staff are overall the politest and well-trained staff out there, which would jump them to the head of the line anyway.

I guess the one we tried in San Diego (Miramar area) was an aberration then. Will have to try again next time we're down there.

Wait a minute here...:surprised: -Subs and, Sandwiches- doesn't even list Penn Station Subs in their results but, they have Jimmie John's? Ohhhhh....that's bad...real bad.

"Here's your week old dried out bread and, beef jerky bacon sir!" *CLUNK!*

At least they listed Schlotzsky's up towards the top.
Ate at McAllisters once. Once... Been meaning to try Firehouse though as they are slowly popping up around here.

I guess i'm soooooo spoiled by all the G:D:DD Reuben Subs i've had over the years. There's just something about Corned Beef, Sauerkraut and, thousand island dressing on a roll for me. :p

Cleans out the body and, soul....especially the body. Still on the hunt for the perfect Reuben sandwich. Still l:cyclops::cyclops:king!

I guess I live in the "sticks", although this area has around 100,000 people here
We have 1 Sonic, 1 5 guys, 3 or 4 Wendy's, and a Bazillion BK & McD. I've heard of a few of the others, but probably not even half on the list.

One Jimmy John's subs and a few Arbys and several Subway

KFC and Taco Bell finish the list for this area

I do love the 5 Guys, but they are quite a distance away so I don't get there often

I actually love McD Double cheeseburger with extra onions and ketchup (no mustard or pickle)

Back