Der V-3 clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
One more story about stuff I built over the Christmas/New Year break (I had three weeks off to use up my leftover vacation time). I built this one evening while bored, since I'd been meaning to for a while and had the parts needed on hand.

Der V-3 was interesting to me. When both my cousin & I were about 15, we went into a local hobby shop to buy rockets that used those big "D" engines (I'm pretty sure we'd both only built 18mm rockets to that point). I bought the AIM-54 Phoenix, he bought the V-3. We started building them that evening. I wanted my Phoenix to look scale-like, so I spent the time sanding all the fins in the relatively correct pattern, while Mike plunged ahead with the Der V-3. I'm pretty sure we had it painted that day. I remember cracking up over decals like "Der Fin Wiggler", etc. Anyway, the next day, my Phoenix was only half done, but the V-3 was ready for launch. And launch it we did - and never saw it again. Thus ended my cousin Mike's adventure of the Der V-3. I hope that my clone has a better fate than that, but we'll have to wait until spring to find out, I suppose...

IMG_2614.JPGIMG_2613.JPGIMG_2611.jpgIMG_2615.JPG

Last edited:
That was one of my favorite flyers when I was a kid. I painted mine with a dark blue automotive paint that had sparkles in it.
Yours looks great!

Very nice. I wasn't even aware of the Der V-3 until I had a Der V-1.5 kit. Gallery material.

My daughter and I built Der V-3's back in the day. Mine Standard Red, Hers Blue.
Still have and fly both occasionally.

You did an Outstanding job on the model and decals.

Thanks guys. I'm putting together a kit for another now, but this will be sent (unbuilt) to my nephew so he can enjoy a design that predates him by close to 2 decades. However, I also acquired a nose cone that is nearly ideal for a 4" upscale V-3. Not sure yet, but that might be a Level-1 project for me...

Latest posts

Back