Der Mean Max

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I recently finished this modified Mean Machine project:
IMG_2662.JPGIMG_2661.JPGIMG_2660.jpgIMG_2659.JPGIMG_2658.JPGIMG_2657.JPGIMG_2652.jpg

It is, not surprisingly, difficult to fit into a camera frame. I tried to imagine what you'd get if you cross-bred a Mean Machine with a Der Red Max, and this is what I came up with. Both rockets use BT60 tube and the same nose cone. To make the MM more Max-like, I went with three fins rather than four (I modeled it in Rocksim first to verify it wasn't a problem). I thought about actually using Red Max fins, but I didn't like how it looked. The other fin modification was the adoption of TTW tabs which, combined with thick expoy fillets, should help prevent shedding fins. Further playing on "Max" - as in maximum - I replaced the upper 18" section of tube with two 14" sections, the net change was 9" added length. I split it between those two upper sections and the rest so that recovery is two-piece, then nose with a 12" chute and the body with an 18" Der Red Max chute. Oh, and along the same lines, I replaced the 24mm mount with a 11" long 29mm mount, and added an Estes threaded motor retainer. And lastly, I painted like a Red Max, and combined decal sets from the two to give the final product you see here. It'll be some time in spring, unfortunately, before I get to fly it...

That looks pretty cool! What motor are you going to fly it on?

I don't know yet, I guess I have a few months to figure it out. I think that an E16 ought to lift it off the pad reasonably well for a first flight, but I'm not sure if I trust 29mm BP engines. I might start with a F27R (because it really ought to fly on a red engine), but I have to go back to the simulation to see. I don't recall off hand which ones worked best. I haven't yet bought into a reloadable system, so I'll probably stick with single-use engines at first.

My first MPR were single use motors. But once I went to reloadables, I wished I'd done it sooner.

I've flown my Mean Machine clone on E28s so far and its fitted with a 29mmMMT and estes retainer just like yours. To strengthen it I double tubed the airframe using full length couplers from BMS (Balsa Machining Service). The upper half of mine is a long narrow payload bay, it flies great, someday I will fly it on a G motor. Nice job on your Mean Machine Max

My first MPR were single use motors. But once I went to reloadables, I wished I'd done it sooner.
I'd imagine you're right, and I'd feel the same way. But at this point, mid-power is still pretty new to me and I still trying to navigate through the various manufacturers, sizes and styles of reloadable motors. At the moment, I have no idea which I want to buy into... :eyepop:

I have the idea that I'll be content to stay within 29mm for the foreseeable future, but I said the same thing before regarding LPR. We all know how that goes... In the short term, though, I've got this rocket, a PS2 Nike Smoke and a Mega Red Max (later not yet built) that will need maiden flights on something...

I don't know yet, I guess I have a few months to figure it out. I think that an E16 ought to lift it off the pad reasonably well for a first flight, but I'm not sure if I trust 29mm BP engines. I might start with a F27R (because it really ought to fly on a red engine), but I have to go back to the simulation to see. I don't recall off hand which ones worked best. I haven't yet bought into a reloadable system, so I'll probably stick with single-use engines at first.

The F27R is a nice motor, and all the Econojets are pretty nice and work well with most PSII kits. Only the Mega Der Red Max might need more than an Econojet, although maybe an F42 might work... But all the rest will fly great on Econojets. Once you get a feel for how your rockets perform with those motors, you'll be better prepared to branch out into larger single-use or reloads. I'm still using Econojet motors pretty often at Moffett field, because they have a 1,000 foot ceiling. Econojet F's keep the Leviathan below that limit.

Love the build and finish!

Do not be afraid to grab a few single use composite motors. Despite the huge pile of reload kits I have sitting literally under my chair, I am also a big fan of single use where appropriate. For example, there are a few cases that I have no need to buy, but I want to fly a random propellant mix or motor size once or twice. Also I believe they may end up lighter, for high altitude attempts.

Oh, and I fear large black powder motors. They explode more than I care for. I have never seen a 13mm or 18mm blow up.

The F27R is a nice motor, and all the Econojets are pretty nice and work well with most PSII kits. Only the Mega Der Red Max might need more than an Econojet, although maybe an F42 might work... But all the rest will fly great on Econojets. Once you get a feel for how your rockets perform with those motors, you'll be better prepared to branch out into larger single-use or reloads. I'm still using Econojet motors pretty often at Moffett field, because they have a 1,000 foot ceiling. Econojet F's keep the Leviathan below that limit.

Mine stays under 900 feet with the F25, and probably similar with its F26 and F50 brothers. Mine is certainly heavier than average, though.

Mine stays under 900 feet with the F25, and probably similar with its F26 and F50 brothers. Mine is certainly heavier than average, though.

Those work well too. They are a few bucks more, but they have a bit more impulse without breaking the ceiling.

I'm honestly thinking of adding a bit of weight to my leviathan so I can put G74Ws in it at moffett. I bet a large enough battery and Eggtimer would get it under 1K, especially since it has lugs and rail buttons now...

Alternately, I'm thinking of sanding it down, repainting, and adding another length of tubing to stretch it like K'tesh did to his.

Last edited:
Regarding whatever I've comfortable with - well, I've only flown motors from Uncle Vern at this point, so I have no experience with Aerotech, their EconoJet line, or any of the other competing brands. So comfort level isn't really a factor. It does seem like the Aerotech stuff is readily available at the LHS, so that definately is a factor, as is the issue regarding hazmat shipping (which really seems like a racket to an outsider). Altitude limits don't really concern me, since (unlike Moffett) our field isn't under the approach to a major airport. Someone said our field is waivered to 9000 feet.

I've actually already bought a couple of single-use Aerotech motors, but am waiting on warmer weather to use. I guess I'm leaning in that direction if/when I do go to reloadable. But even then, I'm still confused about the different enclosure models even for a given size. So, more research is in order. Kind of tangentially related, I just ordered a PS2 Leviathan at the sale price, and have several other 29 mm models on the drawing board. So, even if I don't go bigger yet, I still will have extensive use of something 29mm. I can totally foresee trying for a L1 certification before the year's up as well (can I do that on a 29?) which brings me round back to my original point - I'm trying to foretell my needs and choose a motor system accordingly. But it isn't as simple as it seems like it ought to be...

Regarding whatever I've comfortable with - well, I've only flown motors from Uncle Vern at this point, so I have no experience with Aerotech, their EconoJet line, or any of the other competing brands. So comfort level isn't really a factor. It does seem like the Aerotech stuff is readily available at the LHS, so that definately is a factor, as is the issue regarding hazmat shipping (which really seems like a racket to an outsider). Altitude limits don't really concern me, since (unlike Moffett) our field isn't under the approach to a major airport. Someone said our field is waivered to 9000 feet.

I've actually already bought a couple of single-use Aerotech motors, but am waiting on warmer weather to use. I guess I'm leaning in that direction if/when I do go to reloadable. But even then, I'm still confused about the different enclosure models even for a given size. So, more research is in order. Kind of tangentially related, I just ordered a PS2 Leviathan at the sale price, and have several other 29 mm models on the drawing board. So, even if I don't go bigger yet, I still will have extensive use of something 29mm. I can totally foresee trying for a L1 certification before the year's up as well (can I do that on a 29?) which brings me round back to my original point - I'm trying to foretell my needs and choose a motor system accordingly. But it isn't as simple as it seems like it ought to be...

29mm can definitely be used for L1, I used an adapter and 29mm motors for my L1. If you have a Mega Red Max, those do great on both small Aerotech and small Cesaroni H's for an L1 in the 1200-1500 foot range. I love to fly mine on the Cesaroni 29-3G H54 White-longburn which burns for 3 seconds. I've also flown it on Aerotech F50T's and a Cesaroni G80 Skid.
H54.jpg

I made two flights with Der Mean Max while at the URRG launch in Potter. Both flights were on Econojet F23-7FJ motors, which Rocksim claims to be good for about 1400 feet. The first flight was Saturday, which was windier. The hike to recover it was at least a 1/4 mile, but both segments landed 10-15 feet apart from each other. The second flight was Sunday morning before the wind got a little breezy, and this time, the rocket land just beyond the pads - easy to get to.

IMG_3269.jpgIMG_3273.jpgIMG_3277b.jpgIMG_3278b.jpgIMG_3279b.jpgIMG_3281b.jpgIMG_3288.jpgIMG_3289b.jpg

Last edited:
The Maxes are popular at our house, so the kids have been on at me for a while to take the last Mean Machine in the build pile and make 'Der Langen Max'

Back