Class Certifications?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm aware of rocketry class certifications existing, but since I never built or fired over an "E" yet, I'm not familiar with them.

What is the largest motor I can launch without any certification? How do I get certified? And what motors can I use once certified?

Thanks all.

If you are under 18 years old, the largest motor you can purchase would be an "F" size single use motor.

Over 18 - you can fly a "G" motor as long as the average thrust is less than 80ns, and the ready-to-fly rocket weight is less than 1500 grams (3.3 lbs)

Level 1 certification allows you to buy and fly "H" and "I" motors. You need to pass a written test for level 2 (J, K and L motors)

Level 3 is M, N, and O motors.

All you need to know is at the link >>> https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/

And those stats above are only good in the USA...
Other countries have different levels to there high power, Canada is a bit different.

Thank you. I kept getting group sites in my searches with conflicting results. One site said that you can only fire BP motors without certification. One said to "E". And one said they weren't required except for NAR/TRA sanctioned launches. So I have up and came here.

Any primers on here about how to use RMS motors that I've missed? The search engine here seems temperamental about the exact string.

Best advice I can give is to find a club and hang out/launch there. I was nervous about my first MPR loads, and the people at the club I joined were EXTREMELY helpful in teaching me how to load and fire my 29/40-120 casing (the most valuable case for a mid power flyer...closely followed by the 24/40). If you're launching on your own, there are several videos you can find online that show people how to load those cases ([video=youtube;g0GsbQS7GKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0GsbQS7GKI[/video], for example)

Thank you. I kept getting group sites in my searches with conflicting results. One site said that you can only fire BP motors without certification. One said to "E". And one said they weren't required except for NAR/TRA sanctioned launches. So I have up and came here.

Any primers on here about how to use RMS motors that I've missed? The search engine here seems temperamental about the exact string.

Wow, that is a lot of misinformation... The NAR safety codes pretty well spell it out.

Actually, you can fly up to TWO G motors in a cluster and still be okay. The main thing is to observe the propellant weight limitations and the overall rocket mass limitations before you have to be certified HPR level 1. For instance, four "E" motors in a cluster will put you over the propellant mass limits and thus is considered a "HPR level 1" flight. Basically the limitations are spelled out between "class 1 rockets" (model rockets, considered to be from 1/8A (MicroMaxx) to C motors (so-called "Low Power Rocketry (LPR), AND "Mid Power Rocketry" (MPR) powered by EITHER black powder (BP) or composite propellant (APCP "reloads" or single use) in the D, E, F, and up to 2 "G" motor ranges) and "Class 2 rockets" which exceed the limitations on propellant mass and total rocket mass under the FAA regulations. (FAR part 101 IIRC, might have the number wrong). "Class 2" rockets require an FAA waiver and thus are considered "high power" (HPR) rocketry.

Best thing to do is visit some local clubs when they're out flying... you can get a better feel for what you'll have to do to get HPR certified and fly with them, since you have to fly under a waiver anyway...

Later! OL JR :)

You do not have to be certified to fly over 3.3 pounds. You do have to have a waiver, or fly at a waivered launch.

I think I need to play with LPR clusters before I do MPR clusters. I'm still trying to locate good sources for parts right now. I've found a few for LPR parts. I've ventured into one MPR rocket build that was for E but was econojet F compatible. 4 Estes PSII rockets got delivered today. Time to step it up!

A local group has a launch next weekend. I'm going to try to make it. Time to drop a dime on some PSII motors.

I think I need to play with LPR clusters before I do MPR clusters. I'm still trying to locate good sources for parts right now. I've found a few for LPR parts. I've ventured into one MPR rocket build that was for E but was econojet F compatible. 4 Estes PSII rockets got delivered today. Time to step it up!

A local group has a launch next weekend. I'm going to try to make it. Time to drop a dime on some PSII motors.

Yeah, as you said, "drop some dimes" is certainly right when it comes to bigger motors. Don't get it too big a rush to get into the 'biggest stuff you can' because that gets AWFULLY expensive, for basically just a bigger "whoosh, pop" than you can get the same joy out of a lot cheaper with smaller motors "whoosh, pop"... LOL:)

Whatever floats yer boat I guess...

You do not have to be certified to fly over 3.3 pounds. You do have to have a waiver, or fly at a waivered launch.

If you fly on private land, thats like avoiding a speeding ticket on the Freeway. 9 your fine, 10 your mine. No one cares.
Nothing flys over me, even out of Traverse City under 30k ft.
The only local traffic is the DNR, which you can hear 10 miles away coming in an old single engine loud wing over fussaloge plane.
And, there is a guy that flys on occasion a RC Jet at the old air port.

If you fly on private land, thats like avoiding a speeding ticket on the Freeway. 9 your fine, 10 your mine. No one cares.
Nothing flys over me, even out of Traverse City under 30k ft.
The only local traffic is the DNR, which you can hear 10 miles away coming in an old single engine loud wing over fussaloge plane.
And, there is a guy that flys on occasion a RC Jet at the old air port.

This has to be the worst advice I've seen given on this forum.

This has to be the worst advice I've seen given on this forum.

I don't even understand what he's saying... but then I usually don't... LOL:) "fussaloge"-- REALLY?? Is that anything like a fuselage??:facepalm:

Oh well... back to your regularly scheduled program...

Like Luke said, a 2 G-80 Cluster!
Go for it!!!

KICK IT!

8688134250_758a0b8d59_b.jpg

Last edited:
Too many planes. Too many helicopters. Too many cops in the air. Too many airports. Too many radar stations.

Big city here. Too many ways to get busted. Not flying without a waiver from the FAA.

Back