To the Boise Rocketeer with "Explosive" License Plate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanfar

Reaction score
Saw your white GMC turn south onto Willow from State St. this evening.
Just had to drop a line to whomever it was that your license plate made me dredge up my chemistry education from long ago, and then when I put it together, I had a good chuckle.
I guess Boise is a smaller city than I assumed.

- Matt

Admins: I was sure I was posting in the Watering Hole. I now realize my mistake. Feel free to move... or not... whatever.

But NH4ClO4 isn't explosive... Depends on whom you ask I suppose...

Ammonium Perchlorate is...Ammonium Perchlorate composite propellant is not. Well, Ammonium Perchlorate is considered an explosive for particle size less than 15 micrometers...

There are rifle targets made with this stuff. Takes a high velocity round to set it off. Pretty good boom. Think they are two part. Totally safe until you mix them.

There are rifle targets made with this stuff. Takes a high velocity round to set it off. Pretty good boom. Think they are two part. Totally safe until you mix them.

Those targets are actually made of ammonium nitrate, no ammonium perchlorate. Ammonium nitrate and dark aluminum powder, to be specific.

Back