Open Rocket Effect of Tail Cone on Stability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoShuGui

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In my Broken Arrow XP simulation the extended Barrowman method in Open Rocket moves the CP forward quite a bit when a tail cone is added. Is this realistic?

With the tail cone, stability is 0.159 cal:
View attachment 253234

Remove the tail cone leaving everything else unchanged, stability is 0.933 cal:
View attachment 253235

This difference is all due to the CP moving forward. That comes out to 19 additional ounces of nose weight (16 ounces already) just because there is a tail cone, so I am a little skeptical of what the simulation is saying.

Yep..... tailcone will do that.
I had my fins mounted 3in from rear of tube & my stability tanked.
I removed all but a 1/2in from rear to get it back on track.
I wanted to keep it due to adding 1000 ft per 10,000 and I was going for altitude.

Is this a motor retention tailcone [Aero-Pac] ? I have not had much problem with those. Or something else.
I used tailcone closures on motors for minimum diameter project where the problem was really pronounced.

Your stability seems off for that kit.
I would double check my weights and materials shown in the sim program against actually weighing the parts.

Is this a motor retention tailcone [Aero-Pac] ? I have not had much problem with those. Or something else.
I used tailcone closures on motors for minimum diameter project where the problem was really pronounced.

Your stability seems off for that kit.
I would double check my weights and materials shown in the sim program against actually weighing the parts.

Yes, this is an Aero-Pac tail cone. So... I finally got around to measuring and weighing everything to get a more exact simulation; but pretty much the same result. Per Open Rocket, it needs ~20 extra ounces of nose weight with the tail cone, so any altitude benefit is basically lost. Seems a waste of a nice tail cone, but I have already assembled the motor mount so there is no going back. Kind of has killed my enthusiasm for the project for the moment.

Edit: I went back and measured the actual taper on the Aero-Pac tail cone. Turns out I had it tapering down to 3" (the motor diameter) in the sim, but it actually tapers down to 3.625" which is much more gentle. Now the sim only requires ~8 extra ounces of nose weight with the tail cone.

Last edited:
I've seen that rocket with tail-cone fly, but don't know if any weight was added.

I would call RW and ask about your situation before going any further. Maybe someone there can shed some light on it for you.

Back