Lepus - the hare constellation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
This is project that I'm currently working on. I call it Lepus, named for the rabbit-like constellation just below Orion. I wanted to use a few spare odds and ends and give it a sort of sci-fi look. Here's what I've got so far:
IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2840.JPG

From RocSim:
Lepus.jpg
Lepus is 13.5 inches tall, with a BT5/50 tube combination. 13mm engine mount, 9" nylon parachute. I have yet to fill and final sand the wood, so it'll be a few days before I get to painting. RocSim file is attached.

Attachments

• Lepus.rkt
    91 KB · Views: 132
Here's the story I wrote for it:
[FONT=&quot]In the late 21st century, breakthroughs in spacecraft propulsion allowed mankind to push out into a number of star systems containing suitable exoplanets for colonization. Many of these systems allied under the Red Star of the Solar Federation, promoting equality for all sentient beings and emphasizing technical advancement. Many of the craft developed to support further exploration were part of the so-called "Constellation Series' of designs, derived from Solar Federation Constellation Specification Manual (SFCSM).
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Named for the constellation of the Hare, Lepus was designed as fast, light scout ship with moderate range and would virtually leap out of Space Gantry Platform launch bays. Normally fully automated (but a 2-person crew could supplement), a single Nuclear Thrust Drive core combined with a Compact Space Compression motivator could send the automated craft on mid-deep space missions with awe-inspiring speed. Mission parameters range from Star Patrol to identifying smugglers to locating worlds with new resources or potential colony sites could be handled with quick-change sensory packs, located just above the craft's drive core.[/FONT]

Cool! I like Sci-fi style rockets and anything with pods or other details on the fin edges. I also like that you have a narrative for your rocket, like the classic catalogs used to have!

My only thought is that the upper tube above the transition could be longer, and you could add some micro fin details to that section too if you wanted. Just throwing out ideas. The design is already very cool as is!

"Equality, our stock in trade. Come & join the Brotherhood of Man. Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand!"

...right before the uprising.​

Nice! Will there be a Rocinante or Cygnus X-1? :)

Last edited:
"Equality, our stock in trade. Come & join the Brotherhood of Man. Hold the Red Star proudly high in hand!"
...right before the uprising.​

Nice! Will there be a Rocinante or Cygnus X-1? :)

This doesn't happen for another 97 years!

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
We have assumed control
We have assumed control
We have assumed control

Thanks! Nice that someone gets it.

There is a Cygnus-class exploration starship that I've designed but haven't yet built. I was thinking of naming the prototype Rocinante, a small script aft of the cockpit or something. The design uses a BT50 Honest John nose cone, a pair of V-2 boat tails and a lot of strake fins. One of these days, but it isn't high on my priority list. I've already got builds planned through June... :D

Regarding Lepus, I like the proportions as they are. In fact, the forward section is already extended somewhat over the original layout, which was much more service module/capsule like. This, to me is sort of like a lift vehicle with a small diameter payload fairing, but with a bit of a sci-fi twist. The strakes that are on the main body were already something of an afterthought, as were the fin tip pods. The strakes were difficult enough to cut out consistently that I don't really want to make anything smaller, so I think I'll leave well enough alone on that one.

This doesn't happen for another 97 years!

We have assumed control
We have assumed control
We have assumed control

True though I think Lepus is flying around in the late 21st century. :)

Thanks! Nice that someone gets it.

There is a Cygnus-class exploration starship that I've designed but haven't yet built. I was thinking of naming the prototype Rocinante, a small script aft of the cockpit or something. The design uses a BT50 Honest John nose cone, a pair of V-2 boat tails and a lot of strake fins. One of these days, but it isn't high on my priority list. I've already got builds planned through June... :D
Cool! A swan-constellation class! The reference was pretty obvious and adding equality & technology confirmed it. So, does this rocket home in on guitars when launched? ;)
Great finishes on your other rockets too!

Not to go all off-topic, but here's a RockSim image of the Cygus-class ship:
Cygnus.jpg
I've got most of the parts to build it already, just a matter of when. I don't want to Rush into anything here... ;)

Made a little progress with this last night. I finished all of the filling & sanding, so now it should be ready for a coat of primer. It hadn't previously occurred to me how difficult it could be to sand very small balsa fins...
IMG_2894.jpg

I primered Lepus this weekend. Actually, I started the paint work too, but I don't have pictures of that at this time.
IMG_2928.jpgIMG_2930.JPG

The final color scheme is similar to the illustration above, but with a roll pattern added to the top of the main tube. I'd like to add some decals as well, but am not sure what yet...

Nice. But somehow it seems like it should have some sort of cool Hare logo--here's one I just found by dumb luck in a Google search:lbLogo-facebook.jpg

That's a neat logo, but it appears to be copyrighted. Still, I think you're right - I ought to find some sort of rabbit to put on it, either on a fin or maybe the payload fairing...

I figured I could find a public domain illustration by googling "lepus old star chart," but the artwork was pretty awful. and Albrecht Durer's classic hare isn't much good for a logo...

Alas my own rabbit logo artwork isn't on my flash drive.

I'd looked for the star chart artwork already. I agree that it isn't very appealing as a logo:
hevelius_lep_col.jpg
He's kind of an ugly little spud. I did also find this, though:
lepus-art.jpg, which sort of serves the purpose. OTOH, I thought it might also be neat to use some form of the March Hare, with his pocket watch in his hand/paw.
il_fullxfull.194625995.jpg

In any case, I spent some time today wet sanding the rocket to get rid of the masking ridges. I was a little too aggressive in a few spots and wound up having to do a bit touch up here and there. But it looks good now, just needs a clear coat to even it out. I also weighed it at work the other day (we have a scale that is accurate to 1/1000th of a gram). Its about .62 onces without parachute, a little heavier than I predicted. I guess all that paint adds up...

Of all the Hare brained puns... You know, they are only going to start multiplying

Hop To It... :wink:
Jim

Ooo, that's pretty bad... :D

But while we're on the topic, here are some new photos, now with the decals on (thanks to sandman):
IMG_3022.jpgIMG_3021.JPGIMG_3020.jpgIMG_3019.jpg

There's also an identification number on the back side of the "payload" fairing, opposite the "LEPUS" name - DSP0320. I just didn't photograph it. It stills needs a top coat over everything, since I wet sanded some rough spots out, then did some touch up. But its otherwise finished.

Last edited:
Lepus made its first flight on an A3-4T yesterday. According to the sim, that's good for about 400', but your guess is as good as mine. What I can say is that it was up quick enough that I didn't get any shots as it left the pad, I only caught up to when it was getting hard to see. But it flew well and recovered intact (I was worried about the pod dowels either breaking or catching the chute).
IMG_3330.jpgIMG_3331.jpgIMG_3334c.jpgIMG_3335.JPG

Back