German Secret Weapons Models Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astro-Baby

Reaction score
Not been around for some time as I have been a bit busy with other things.......today my partner and I sat down and finally put the video together of all of the German Secret Weapons I built last year which includes the Rheintochter and Fire Lily scratch builds.

Hope you enjoy the video - hugs to my partner for spending so much of their time on this today.

[video=youtube;8KoWiCqCMu4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KoWiCqCMu4[/video]

Well done!
icon14.png

Great job, wunderbar!. For a minute there I thought I was watching newly discovered colour film of the secret weapons projects directly from the Ministry of Propaganda. With clever editing even some of the not so good test flights can still make for great propaganda footage. Great sound track for the short programme. Maybe for the next schmetterling one you can use the 1940 hit "England Ist Kaput!"

Leni would have been proud!

LR 2.jpg

Excellent work on the video montage - my congratulations to the editor!

Fine taste in music, too. And it means you probably recognise my signature line. ;)

Thanks guys - I haven't been around much as I have been pretty busy with other stuff and also have some health problems that at last seem to be at an end. Been having heart problems which have eluded the quacks and pill rollers - but it seems to have gone away.

Yodamcfly - Did you document these builds anywhere? - Yes - they are all on this forum if you do a search for Fire Lily you will find them all but here are the links.
FIRELILY - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...re-Lily-F25-Scratch-Build&highlight=fire+lily
RHINE MAIDEN - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62727-Rheintochter-Rhine-Maiden&highlight=fire+lily
NATTER - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...atter-Build-Thread-Review&highlight=fire+lily

Of the three the Natter was the toughest to build because you are constantly having to second guess the designer and wonder if you are right or he is tight at each step - Rhine Maiden was a longer more complex build but at least I wasn't having to second guess anyone and although it was complicated in terms of number of parts it was relatively straightforward to build but very time consuming. It only made 6 flights in total (the video uses two shots from each launch at times - the launches where the rocket has a yellow nose band are from the second group of launches. Natter on the other hand was a very awkward build, you need a lot of filler and the patience of Job doing it and even with all that there are still faults in the final build.

Adrian - but of course I would recognise you sig :) I am of an age where films like Battle of Britain, The Yangtse Incident and the Dambusters form part of the cultural iconography of my youth....my favourite is probably Ice Cold in Alex because its more personal but I have seen Battle of Britain probably a hundred times......
"Where the hell are you Simon"
"You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters"
"Give me a staffel of Spitfires"
"We dont need a big wing, or a small wing, we need pilots"

My other half will always make fun of me because I get a lump in my throat when I hear a Merlin engine or see a Spitfire and its always prone to open a discussion of where we would all be without RJ Mitchell.

Battle of Britain )the film) - its a bit duff in places but ahhhhhh the aerial photography and the sound of a Merlin - sighs - Partner always complains mightily and makes snide comments from the other room when its on but what do they know (apart from how to edit video ) :)

Glad the video was fun to watch.

Last edited:
Dadyisabar - I think I burnt myself out last year with these three - I sort of ran out of go juice and enthusiasm but its coming back and this year should see me get going with Scmetterling, Rheintochter R1 (Mk2 with a full two stage build) and maybe even Enzian which will be tough given its almost cube like dimensions - but ve haff ze WILL to make it so :)

I am toying around at the moment with Rheintochter number 2 which will look slightly different to the Mk1 version, different profile and this time will have something to strength those large rear fins.

Dadyisabar - I think I burnt myself out last year with these three - I sort of ran out of go juice and enthusiasm but its coming back and this year should see me get going with Scmetterling, Rheintochter R1 (Mk2 with a full two stage build) and maybe even Enzian which will be tough given its almost cube like dimensions - but ve haff ze WILL to make it so :)

I am toying around at the moment with Rheintochter number 2 which will look slightly different to the Mk1 version, different profile and this time will have something to strength those large rear fins.

Triumph des Willens! OL JR :)

AWESOME video of some awesome build Astro!
Battle of Britain is a GREAT movie.....my son (who is now 18) have watched the movie probably 25 times...we bought the DVD and we randomly send text messages to each other with clips of this movie..in fact, I am going to send him one right now, he is at the University....it will be short and sweet "TWO SECTION SCRAMBLE!!!" and I will get a reply shortly..LOL lots of great parts to that movie...I love it where the flight leader is yelling at the poles who were in the process of bouncing the Luftwaffe "SILENCE....in Polish..." "repeat please.." or, BEHIND you Andy...BEHIND!!! great movie!

PS...and its nice to have you back on the board!

Rick

Thanks guys - I haven't been around much as I have been pretty busy with other stuff and also have some health problems that at last seem to be at an end. Been having heart problems which have eluded the quacks and pill rollers - but it seems to have gone away.

Yodamcfly - Did you document these builds anywhere? - Yes - they are all on this forum if you do a search for Fire Lily you will find them all but here are the links.
FIRELILY - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...re-Lily-F25-Scratch-Build&highlight=fire+lily
RHINE MAIDEN - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?62727-Rheintochter-Rhine-Maiden&highlight=fire+lily
NATTER - https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...atter-Build-Thread-Review&highlight=fire+lily

Of the three the Natter was the toughest to build because you are constantly having to second guess the designer and wonder if you are right or he is tight at each step - Rhine Maiden was a longer more complex build but at least I wasn't having to second guess anyone and although it was complicated in terms of number of parts it was relatively straightforward to build but very time consuming. It only made 6 flights in total (the video uses two shots from each launch at times - the launches where the rocket has a yellow nose band are from the second group of launches. Natter on the other hand was a very awkward build, you need a lot of filler and the patience of Job doing it and even with all that there are still faults in the final build.

Adrian - but of course I would recognise you sig :) I am of an age where films like Battle of Britain, The Yangtse Incident and the Dambusters form part of the cultural iconography of my youth....my favourite is probably Ice Cold in Alex because its more personal but I have seen Battle of Britain probably a hundred times......
"Where the hell are you Simon"
"You'll be in a barrel if you don't watch out for the fighters"
"Give me a staffel of Spitfires"
"We dont need a big wing, or a small wing, we need pilots"

My other half will always make fun of me because I get a lump in my throat when I hear a Merlin engine or see a Spitfire and its always prone to open a discussion of where we would all be without RJ Mitchell.

Can't wait to see your new builds! I too have lost a bit of model rocketry MoJo. Scratch building these wonder weapons can take its toll on mind and body so some time off is a good thing. Keep up your inspirational work!

My high power Sea Wolf kit sets in the box unopened and it seems hard to work up a passion to build it. Then I start thinking of a DO 335 night fighter with props in front and rear and landing gear down. Why do something smart when you can do something completely stupid and get by with it? Building such odd rocs is a hard habit to break and can be hazardous to your health. But the rush of pushing the button on their first flight just can't be beat.

AWESOME video of some awesome build Astro!
Battle of Britain is a GREAT movie.....my son (who is now 18) have watched the movie probably 25 times...we bought the DVD and we randomly send text messages to each other with clips of this movie..in fact, I am going to send him one right now, he is at the University....it will be short and sweet "TWO SECTION SCRAMBLE!!!" and I will get a reply shortly..LOL lots of great parts to that movie...I love it where the flight leader is yelling at the poles who were in the process of bouncing the Luftwaffe "SILENCE....in Polish..." "repeat please.." or, BEHIND you Andy...BEHIND!!! great movie!

PS...and its nice to have you back on the board!

Rick

Watching those 60's and 70's war movies like Battle of Britain, Operation Crossbow and Cross of Iron should get anyone's MoJo back in order!

dadyisabr - I built a Do335 once - it was a pretty big balsa kit...it was to show my eldest how airplanes get put together (sort of) and tech him some basic contrsuction skills. It was rubber band powered but about (from memory) 36" wingspan. It never flew very well at all and in the end one of the cats jumped on top of it and busted it for good. All credit to the cat for downing a wonder weapon :)

Sea Wolf - its on my back burner and likley to stay there for a bit - I wanted a scratch build two stager but I keep getting derailed to concentrate on WW2 weaponry.

Thanks as ever guys for all the positive comments - you may shame me into doing some more stuff very soon :)

ps heres the link for the Do335 I put together - found this just now https://www.marionvillemodels.com/r...5-121-scale-Balsa-Free-Flight-Kit_A_WW01.html

yes it will Daddy! heck, even listening to the music in Astro's video will get your Mojo back!! you listen to that music and you start looking for Ju-52s to land carrying Herman Goering...too much of it and you will begin to plan your blitzkrieg of your neighbor's back yard...formulating sweeping armored pincer movements covered by your Stukas...seeking to capture his gas grill in the back yard!

Watching those 60's and 70's war movies like Battle of Britain, Operation Crossbow and Cross of Iron should get anyone's MoJo back in order!

yes it will Daddy! heck, even listening to the music in Astro's video will get your Mojo back!! you listen to that music and you start looking for Ju-52s to land carrying Herman Goering...too much of it and you will begin to plan your blitzkrieg of your neighbor's back yard...formulating sweeping armored pincer movements covered by your Stukas...seeking to capture his gas grill in the back yard!

"Mit Pan-sers, und Shtukaas, und OOO-booats..." (in heavy German accent)...

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Oh man, that was cool! Amazing presentation of equally amazing rockets. Wish I had the patience and skill to build like that.

Back