GPS Rocket Locator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantasiiio

Reaction score
Rocket Locator is a software to track your lost model rocket.
There is a GPS module in the rocket and It transmits the signal to the android phone via radio telemetry. I coded a functional and cool android software that use google maps api to track the rocket.

It’s basically google maps api with two gps positions: your position and the rocket position. Here is the main features:
•Current rocket distance from you.
•Rocket altitude (GPS altitude)
•Enable/disable follow me, for manually moving the map
•Can save the path of the rocket in a Google earth compatible
•Always record the last rocket position, in case you close accidentally the application, you can load the last position and continue your quest.
•In case you lost signal, it reconnects automatically when the rocket is back in the range.
•Rocket compass that rotate the map in the rocket direction (instead of north).

You can go to the website rocketlocator.com
You can also donate if you like it.

A useful development here would be if a portable, open source map solution could be integrated for off-grid/internet use like can be had for APRSDROID. True, the program is still very useful with a blank screen and two datum points. Folks launching way out west on the featureless launch ranges just need the "two points and a line" to find their projects. In other areas, it's sometimes helpful to be able to see where roads are in relation to a possible landing site to plan a recovery route. Being less dependent on the Internet increases the utility of a tracking program. There certainly isn't anything else out there with this much utility for the EggFinder or EggTimer TRS units period. Kurt

Is there a way to use the software without bluetooth?
Can one simply plug in the GPS coordinates of the rocket?

No, I don't believe so with GPSRL. The purpose built handheld GPS units can do it. You could invest in a simple used Garmin Legend for $40.00 or so and have that capability if you don't have a phone with a program that can do that. Kurt

Maybe you can attach your phone into your rocket with another software... but the purpose of the software is to find lost rocket. You can only comunicate with android via bluetooth or wifi.

I'm thinking of implementing Open street map instead of google map. The problem is there is no satellite view in OSM.

For ofline map, Google maps stores in cache visited map parts. So, you have to manually visit the map where you launch. I’m currently developing a ‘Auto scan map’ feature. It will move the camera on the area near your current camera position. But you can do it manually by sliding the map all around.

I'm thinking of implementing Open street map instead of google map. The problem is there is no satellite view in OSM.

For ofline map, Google maps stores in cache visited map parts. So, you have to manually visit the map where you launch. I’m currently developing a ‘Auto scan map’ feature. It will move the camera on the area near your current camera position. But you can do it manually by sliding the map all around.

That is so true. :D I believe the cache size is limited and gets over written eventually. I was searching on my Nexus 7 2013 for a cache size I could set with the prospect of being able to "store" more mapping information.
Many times, I've activated the program with the WiFi turned off and even though I recently downloaded the local map, I get the two datum points (me, the rocket) the navigation line and just the gray background.
Without an internet connection, the presentation is inconsistent. Also, I think Google gets a bit ticked off if someone uses "their" map information "offline". Correct me if I'm wrong on that but I believe that's why KJ4ERJ, the author of an APRS tracking program, uses "free" map servers with APRSIS32/APRSISCE. The aerial photos are a bit dated but very usable.

Satellite picture is nice but not absolutely necessary. OSM will get the roads in there which can be really helpful. With APRSDroid, the OSM mapfile of the entire USA is a manageable 2.3Gb. Individual areas can be downloaded if one doesn't want to use that much memory real estate. Don't get me wrong, I think your program is excellent for the simple NMEA extracted word trackers. In reality, these trackers have the potential to send the position 1/sec as opposed to once every 5 seconds that APRS has to run at to be reliable. (As long as the COCOM restrictions aren't exceeded. ie. <1000knots and > 60,000 feet) Technically if one is less than 1000knots and above 60k' the GPS can still work except some makers are too lazy to interpret it that way. The high-altitude balloon folks send stuff way up past 60k without any issue whatsoever with the appropriate chipsets. Balloons go at lazy speeds above 60k and report the GPS altitude back fine with the appropriate chipset. Kurt

Maybe you can attach your phone into your rocket with another software... but the purpose of the software is to find lost rocket. You can only comunicate with android via bluetooth or wifi.

Understood. I placed an order for a HC-06 today and already downloaded your app.
Looks good. Can't wait to see it in action.

Fantasiiio, new member? Welcome to the forum.
I'll check out your website.
But I say this. I don't have, or have any interest in getting one of them "do all" phones.
So I'm not sure how your software will help me. But I don't shoot the big ones.
But I don't have a huge field either and over the years I've lost more rockets than I have now.
Probably more to trees than anything.
Thanks for bringing something new to the hobby.
Good Luck

Maybe I'm missing something. If this works off Bluetooth then what is its range? I don't see it staying connected through the entire flight. But like I said, maybe I don't understand exactly how it works.

I've tried many many time to get to your website, but it won't open.
Is it busy? Or do you have malitious intruders on your site?
Can't be too careflu these days.

Try waiting 10-12 seconds, maybe the server was full..

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something. If this works off Bluetooth then what is its range? I don't see it staying connected through the entire flight. But like I said, maybe I don't understand exactly how it works.

There is a radio telemetry in the rocket that transmit data to a receiver (can go 2-3 kilometer with a good antenna) then, the receiver transmit data to android via bluetooth.

You are right.

So, you think it's a good idea to replace google maps by OSM ?

Actually, I think it would be good to have an option for those who use devices that happen to have internet access at their launchsite. The satellite photos are all-inclusive. Being able to select and use OSM maps while off grid would be a nice option.
If you drop the Google photos, there will be those who might be disappointed. I say option as it would keep everyone happy if it was selectable. Kurt

I have the app and I think it would be great if you could somehow be able to input external coordinates and use the software to find the rocket. I have a couple trackers that can't have bluetooth incorporated and being able to input coordinates would be awesome. I dont know if it's possible but either way great software!

I have the app and I think it would be great if you could somehow be able to input external coordinates and use the software to find the rocket. I have a couple trackers that can't have bluetooth incorporated and being able to input coordinates would be awesome. I dont know if it's possible but either way great software!

That's what I was asking for in post #3. I hope the answer you get is better. ;)

Thanks for the info. You give some great details on what to search for it on ebay. I would like more details on the assembly part. You seem to have a good idea on how it fits but there are a few things like changing 10hz to 1hz that are new to me.

Price wise the EggTimer seems like a good bargain in comparison to the separate parts.

Thanks
Andrew

Thanks for the info. You give some great details on what to search for it on ebay. I would like more details on the assembly part. You seem to have a good idea on how it fits but there are a few things like changing 10hz to 1hz that are new to me.

Price wise the EggTimer seems like a good bargain in comparison to the separate parts.

Thanks
Andrew

Don't be obsessed with changing the update rate from 1hz to 10hz. Once the rocket hits or goes faster than 1000knots, a GPS unit will stop sending coordinates anyways until the speed drops back down. Plus there are other issues involved with a GPS obtaining an accurate fix under high G loads. Also, there has to be a reliable Rf link for the packets/information to be decoded in realtime on the ground. You gotta remember that a GPS tracker is to make it easier to get the rocket back. Some of the higher end
units can write the position data at 1hz per second to onboard memory that can be downloaded if desired. Kurt

Blutooth is the bridge between you phone and your telemetry system.
You base station receives the packets and decodes them into usable GPS coordinates.
The Blutooth transfers it to your phone's map app to point you in the right direction....

It's intended to work with the Eggfinder and TRS / LCD combo.

JD

I have found that most launch sites ( that I have attended) are remote enough that internet can be sporadic at best.
GPS, not as much of an issue....

JD

Actually, I think it would be good to have an option for those who use devices that happen to have internet access at their launchsite. The satellite photos are all-inclusive. Being able to select and use OSM maps while off grid would be a nice option.
If you drop the Google photos, there will be those who might be disappointed. I say option as it would keep everyone happy if it was selectable. Kurt

Blutooth is the bridge between you phone and your telemetry system.
You base station receives the packets and decodes them into usable GPS coordinates.
The Blutooth transfers it to your phone's map app to point you in the right direction....

It's intended to work with the Eggfinder and TRS / LCD combo.

JD

Yeah,

In a nutshell, the 900Mhz RF link gets the info from the rocket to the receiver. The Bluetooth passes it to the App in the phone or the Android device. The B/T range doesn't need to be that far. Kurt

I installed the HC-06 module into my Eggfinder LCD RX unit and tested out the Rocket Locator app. Looks good. I'm planning a live field test next weekend.

I played a bit more with this app over the weekend and it worked perfectly.
I am no longer able to access the website however.

Back