Dumb BAR Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As I mentioned in my intro post, I've been away for a couple of decades. I've never actually launched in a big club environment.

How does it work?

Yes, I've seen many YouTube videos, and I'm already investigating clubs near me; looks like ROC is the closest, but TRG, DART and Tripoli San Diego are all reasonably close, so I intend to attend a launch as soon as I can, I was just hoping for an overview of what it's like flying on a controlled line. It seems like it's pretty similar to being on a rifle shooting line in terms of the range safety (though, obviously, only the LCO gets to push the button instead of everyone pulling their own triggers :y:).

Ultimately, I'm interested in getting in to high-power, once I've built and flown a few low- and mid-power rockets. Does Tripoli also do low/mid or is it strictly a high-power endeavor when you're flying with a Tripoli club?

Thanks

All, of course, depends on the club. Our club in MD is neither TRA nor NAR affiliated, but all the members are members of one, the other or both.

NAR and TRA HPR regulations require greater and greater distances from the launch pad to the LCO/spectators as the power goes up, so the big, bad L3 pads are parked way out there. Closer are the 1515 rails, then the 1010 rails, and then the LPR/MPR rods.

You fill out a flight card for each flight. On it, you put all the vital info about you and your rocket. You walk it up to the RSO desk, where it is examined for safety. Once passed, your flight card is stamped, and then you can launch it whenever you like (same day).

Once the pads are deactivated, you can go out and pick a launch pad that suits you; come back and clip your flight card to the associated place on the LCO board. The racks are labeled A (LPR), B (next set of rails), C (next set of rails), D, etc. and 1, 2, 3, 4 ... left to right.

Once you rocket is loaded on the pad, walk back to the spectator area and wait for the LCO to call your rocket. Don't go out and retrieve until the racks are once again turned off.

For bigger launches, there will often be two or more launch areas, so that one set of pads can be loading, while another is launching, and that way there is no down time. Some clubs may establish their grid as 1, 2, 3 ... for racks, and A, B, C ... for rails/rods. But all the same idea.

Oh, and if I wasn't clear, although TRA is a high-power club, they understand that parents will bring kids, and kids fly LPR, and I'm guessing that most clubs have the full spectrum of pads. But check with your local club first, to be sure.

Oh, and if I wasn't clear, although TRA is a high-power club, they understand that parents will bring kids, and kids fly LPR, and I'm guessing that most clubs have the full spectrum of pads. But check with your local club first, to be sure.
Awesome, thanks.

Yeah, I realize the honest answer to 95% of life's questions is "it depends", (seriously, I work in IT :D) but, in this case, what you've described is pretty much what I was expecting.

I don't think you'll find too much variation in range ops within the NAR and Tripoli rules. The Cali folks here can speak to some additional weight and impulse rules y'all have to deal with. Our club charges a nominal fee at high power (class 2) launches; mostly to defray the expense of the porta-potty rental. And kids and pretty girls always get to press their own button on my watch. :wink:

I am a NAR member and a member to both a NAR and a TRA club. Bat-Mite's description is similar to how both my clubs run things, but at my clubs, the LCO assigns you your pad, you don't pick it. At my TRA club, we have an 8 rod LPR rack, 2 MPR rods/rails, and 6-8 HPR rails/rods. They have both kids and adults who fly LPR (myself included).

When range is closed, they start launching. Once done, they open the range. Both clubs have a P.A. system that the LCO uses to communicate with and an airhorn to alert of potential danger. One of my clubs also has a sign with green "Open" on one side and red "Closed" on the other right, located at the "gate" to enter the range. It helps people know what the range status is.

Every club runs slightly differently, and if you visit the clubs in your area, you will probably notice a few slight differences, but probably not a lot. Within a region, the clubs tend to have overlapping memberships, and thus the practices of one club filter into the other nearby clubs.

That's the only payment the LCO gets, so they usually take advantage of it. :cool:
At ROC the LCO keeps things churning and gets an amazing amount of flights up in a weekend. At SDTRA, you essentially push your own button, unless you designate someone else due to photography or what ever. Visit SDTRA and come fly with us at Holtville-we only have a 10k waiver but a lot of fun. DART is great for LPR but be advised we have a huge salt water hazard (hint: Fiesta Island!)

Last edited:
Best thing I can suggest is just get out there and experience it. That's kinda how I had to do it. Found a local club, and just showed up one day. Didn't even have my rockets...lol...just talked to the powers that be, as it were, and learned what I need to know. One thing you'll find is that most people at the launches are the same way they are out here - SUPREMELY helpful and willing to help. One of the unique things about this hobby - everyone wants to help everyone else, and is supportive in whatever way they can be. I'll never forget my first flight with the club I had joined...they cleared the racks, and I'm just kinda standing there, and the club president just looks at me and says, "Don't stand on ceremony, man - go load your rocket!!!" lol

Come on out to the next TCC launch in Helm! It will be a drive for sure, but with any luck a few of us will be there too. I have not been yet myself but am looking forward to it.

And kids and pretty girls always get to press their own button on my watch. :wink:

That's the only payment the LCO gets, so they usually take advantage of it. :cool:

And what about the pretty boys? Or the just plain loooking folks? :eyeroll:

Our club launch controller has a secondary safety foot-switch that must also be depressed before the "big red button" will do anything. This means the LCO is still in control and ANYONE who wants to push their own button, can.

I get enjoyment out of helping get people's rockets in the air, no matter what job I'm doing. (Safety Check-in, Pad Mother, LCO - whatever) The smiles on everyone's faces are the payment for me. That, and getting so see some pretty cool rocket flights.

(Sorry - I don't mean to be an a--, but I'm going to be a bit of an a-- when I see "harmless" comments like those.)

The other small things to consider, When inspected you'll need to identify the CP on the rocket or have it marked. This is to be able to check stability (by comparing position of the center of pressure and center of gravity). Weight will be compared to thrust of the motor to make sure the ratio is sufficient. Nothing too crazy or accusatory, Typically this part of the inspection takes about 15 seconds.

generally, don't install ignitors for AP motors until you're on the rail and vertical. (and if using electronics to control ejection, arm those first, then install ignitors)

I've seen A powered LP rockets launch within minutes of O motor's.... They're all rockets and we all love 'em. Every time I've launched people were really cool and helpful when I didn't know what I was doing.

Different clubs are definitely different. I've been to a Tripoli affiliated launch where igniters had to be installed at the pad, while I've been to NAR affiliated launches where you can load the igniter before bringing the rocket to the RSO. At every launch I've attended, you fill out a flight card and then bring it and the rocket to the RSO who checks the rocket and card and assigns you to a pad -- you don't pick your pad, you are assigned. At the NAR club launches I attended, you can check a box indicating you want to press the button. I usually do it for the first flight, but after that I let the LCO do it. At some launches you can stand closer to the pads than the LCO, so letting the LCO launch the rocket allows you to stand closer to the launch.

The cool thing about club launches is being with all the fun rocketeers and seeing all their different rockets and interesting flights. You won't get in as many flights as you will doing your own launch. I've flown 9 rockets in about an hour on my own, and usually get in 3 flights at a club launch. But at a club launch, you can learn, and you can teach, so it's very rewarding.

and watching all the other rockets :). generally the dividing for motor starters is high power needs to be on the pad before installation...when in doubt ask the club you're flying with.
Rex

Different clubs are definitely different. I've been to a Tripoli affiliated launch where igniters had to be installed at the pad, while I've been to NAR affiliated launches where you can load the igniter before bringing the rocket to the RSO. At every launch I've attended, you fill out a flight card and then bring it and the rocket to the RSO who checks the rocket and card and assigns you to a pad -- you don't pick your pad, you are assigned. At the NAR club launches I attended, you can check a box indicating you want to press the button. I usually do it for the first flight, but after that I let the LCO do it. At some launches you can stand closer to the pads than the LCO, so letting the LCO launch the rocket allows you to stand closer to the launch.

The cool thing about club launches is being with all the fun rocketeers and seeing all their different rockets and interesting flights. You won't get in as many flights as you will doing your own launch. I've flown 9 rockets in about an hour on my own, and usually get in 3 flights at a club launch. But at a club launch, you can learn, and you can teach, so it's very rewarding.

LUNAR, an NAR club, used to allow igniters (HPR) to be inserted before going to the pad. But now you have to install the igniter at the pad. And I agree, flying at club launches makes rockets at least ten times more fun and exciting!

Back