Estes Alpha II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTRockets

Reaction score
I have very fond memories of the very first rocket kit I ever built. I was around 10 years old and my sister and her boyfriend took me to her College where they were having a rocketry workshop for kids. Well the kit that we all built was the Alpha II. Was this just a bulk pack educator kit? a repackaged Alpha? Either way I have fond memories of this kit and have been looking on ebay for quite some time in order to track one down. If not to build but to just have in my collection.

So what exactly is the difference between the Astron Alpha and the Astron Alpha II? They both carry the same K-25 number but the Mark and Mark II do also. The instructions don't have the fin pattern so I'm wondering if they have slightly different patterns.

As is noted over on the YORF thread there are some internal differences and at least in the case of the kit I have it also had a blow-molded nose cone very similar to the one in current Alpha (not Alpha III) kits.

Don't get me started on Alpha fin shapes......but then, I already am: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?15600-vintage-astron-alpha-fin-pattern

As for whether the fins on the II are different - the kit I have (as mentioned in that 2010 YORF thread linked to above) is still unopened. So I haven't compared the die cut fins in there with any others yet.

Last edited:
Just realized that a BT-50 Alpha II would really be sweet on an E20 or an F44!!!
Gonna' go do some Simming!!!:D

I am extremely tempted to beg you to open it and scan the fins at a 1:1 ratio with a ruler. But at the same time, I respect the sanctity of the MIP ideals.

Back