first fiberglass project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I have a pair of Wildman kits out in the garage, and a LOC Nuke Pro that I want to give a single sheet fiberglass wrap to.

For my first project I imagine that the pre fab kits will make more sense, right? Heck they might even be separate enough activities to be unrelated. Any reason to do either Dark Star or Punisher first?

Also I gather that despite safety recommendations most do not use a full respirator for either pre fab or lay up work. I will probably try a cotton face mask. Do many people simply risk it uncovered and try to be smart about the particles and vapors?

I always use a mask and gloves when cutting/sanding FB, as well as working with epoxy. I already have enough lung issues, I don't need to risk the irritation.

I recommend always wearing PPE when working with fiberglass or carbon fiber. My first build I didn't wear a mask the first day and ended up blowing fiberglass dust our of my sinuses for a week. A cotton mask and safety glasses are usually sufficient. I tend to wear gloves when working with epoxy to avoid getting it stuck on my hands for weeks at a time. Just be careful about sanding and try to stay in a ventilated area... particles tend to hang in the air for a while otherwise.

Also fiberglass dust is really irritating. You might want to take a shower after working, and use a neti pot to flush out anything that got stuck in your sinus as well.

If it's a 3in or 4in DarkStar I would go with that, simply because detailed instruction manual it right at the top of page under a "sticky". I gather it will be your first glass DD kit?

If it's a 3in or 4in DarkStar I would go with that, simply because detailed instruction manual it right at the top of page under a "sticky". I gather it will be your first glass DD kit?

Yes, 3 inch. It will be my first fiberglass dual deploy, but not my first dual deploy as I have done one traditional and a few designs of my own especially with single separation and cable cutters.

At first I was thinking of the Punisher with the traditional fins and being little smaller to work with, but split fins look like no big deal and it probably does not hurt to try a traditional Wildman deployment kit before the head end version.

I should definitely put off my strengthening project, working with manufactured fiberglass has to be easier than making my own. Maybe I can convice tfish to have me up when the time comes, hah!

Back