Supportive wife??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said this before, my wife used to complain about my hobbies, I miss her sometimes.

My wife (and partner) is ok with accompanying me to club launches now and then, and she's been fine with me dragging her out to the schoolyard on a Saturday morning just so I'm not "thay guy" flying rocket's alone on the soccer field. Thanks, Honey! Also, she has met a few people at launches and some of my TRF forum friends, and she thinks rocketeers are all nice friendly people. Way to represent, rocket people!

I think she'll like club launches even more once I introduce her to some of the "rocketry widows" that come to their husband's launches, but aren't really that into it. They'll be able to kick back in their lawn chairs and commiserate about laundry tables that have been permanently turned into rocket factories, or bathrooms and space heaters that are now drying ovens.

She's very supportive of the fact I've brought a lot of kids into rocketry and have helped them build and fly lots of rockets.

Sometimes she can't believe the amount of time I spend finishing and painting rockets! I can build them in a day or two, then spend weeks filling, priming, sanding, painting, clear coating, applying decals, etc. All that work on something that is going to fly into the air at hundreds of miles per hour and surely sustain some kind of damage! She thinks it's kind of ridiculous, but when it is all done, she's usually kind of amazed at how they turn out and impressed and appreciative of the result. So that's nice.

I built a rocket for her and came up with a nice design she liked. She really appreciated it. She likes to fly it, but worries about damaging it. She made me promise that if it ever gets destroyed, I'll make her another just like it.

This Christmas, she got me a Warlock, Aeropack retainer, motor adapter, and a CTI starter set, and she let me spend a lot at the Wildman BS sale for a year's worth of motors.

All in all, my sweetie pie is OK!!!

Last edited:
Of all of my hobby interests over the years, rocketry was by-far my wifes favorite... as long as I did not disclose some of the costs, she enjoyed the fact that I enjoyed the hobby. She has also built and flown her own rocket, if only to prove that she could. She is definitely a keeper!

My wife let me buy an Ultimate Wildman kit last Black Saturday sale.. then she turns around and buys me a Kenwood TH-D72A..

Boys, I thinks shes a keeper.

Lifetime Member
My wife (and partner) is ok with accompanying me to club launches now and then, and she's been fine with me dragging her out to the schoolyard on a Saturday morning just so I'm not "thay guy" flying rocket's alone on the soccer field. Thanks, Honey! Also, she has met a few people at launches and some of my TRF forum friends, and she thinks rocketeers are all nice friendly people. Way to represent, rocket people!

I think she'll like club launches even more once I introduce her to some of the "rocketry widows" that come to their husband's launches, but aren't really that into it. They'll be able to kick back in their lawn chairs and commiserate about laundry tables that have been permanently turned into rocket factories, or bathrooms and space heaters that are now drying ovens.

She's very supportive of the fact I've brought a lot of kids into rocketry and have helped them build and fly lots of rockets.

Sometimes she can't believe the amount of time I spend finishing and painting rockets! I can build them in a day or two, then spend weeks filling, priming, sanding, painting, clear coating, applying decals, etc. All that work on something that is going to fly into the air at hundreds of miles per hour and surely sustain some kind of damage! She thinks it's kind of ridiculous, but when it is all done, she's usually kind of amazed at how they turn out and impressed and appreciative of the result. So that's nice.

I built a rocket for her and came up with a nice design she liked. She really appreciated it. She likes to fly it, but worries about damaging it. She made me promise that if it ever gets destroyed, I'll make her another just like it.

This Christmas, she got me a Warlock, Aeropack retainer, motor adapter, and a CTI starter set, and she let me spend a lot at the Wildman BS sale for a year's worth of motors.

All in all, my sweetie pie is OK!!!

Hey,, that's fantastic Erik,,, good for you man....
Mine is great too,,
She never complains about my spending,,
but I try very hard to get her the things she likes and is into as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
... as long as I did not disclose some of the costs...
A hot rod friend of mine said his greatest fear is that when he dies his wife sells his car parts for what he said he paid for them ;^)

Now that's a good one Joe....
That's hysterical....lol..

Teddy

My wife (and partner) is ok with accompanying me to club launches now and then, and she's been fine with me dragging her out to the schoolyard on a Saturday morning just so I'm not "that guy" flying rocket's alone on the soccer field.
You should really appreciate that your wife is willing to do that. I have no choice but to be "that guy."

A hot rod friend of mine said his greatest fear is that when he dies his wife sells his car parts for what he said he paid for them ;^)

Maybe he can make a deathbed confession...

You should really appreciate that your wife is willing to do that. I have no choice but to be "that guy."

I do appreciate it quite a bit. She has a fun time too, but sometimes I know it wouldn't be her first choice.

Hey,, that's fantastic Erik,,, good for you man....
Mine is great too,,
She never complains about my spending,,
but I try very hard to get her the things she likes and is into as well.....

Teddy

Yep. It's definitely a 2-way street.

Mrs. A is about the same, especially about the port-a-potties.

Mrs. OD is pretty supportive overall and attends launches occasionally. She enjoys the outdoors and being part of a gathering of the faithful. Doesn't even mind the drives to the various launches...it's sightseeing in a way...and we often stop to eat at restaurants.

What she doesn't care for are the port-a-potties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. A is about the same, especially about the port-a-potties.

Mrs. Barbarian is not a big fan of port-a-potties either.

I've got a roll of regular TP in my range box. It's so I don't have to clean up my business with a $5 pack of Estes wadding when the supplied roll inevitably runs out.

I think Mrs. A and Mrs. Barbarian would get along well. Hopefully we'll all get to a launch together some day.

I've got a roll of regular TP in my range box. It's so I don't have to clean up my business with a $5 pack of Estes wadding when the supplied roll inevitably runs out.

I think Mrs. A and Mrs. Barbarian would get along well. Hopefully we'll all get to a launch together some day.

My 10 year old son LOVES porta-potties... :confused2: No idea why...

Our HPR launch site is 3.5 hours away. The wife and I take our Motorhome and make a 3 day weekend out of them.
So, we never need to use the porta-potties (something we both like).

Our HPR launch site is 3.5 hours away. The wife and I take our Motorhome and make a 3 day weekend out of them.
So, we never need to use the porta-potties (something we both like).

I'm working on convincing my wife a camper is a good idea for family vacations... Once we've got one, then I'll start planning our trips around launches

No wife yet... but a mother. Y'all have NO CLUE how difficult it is to pass rocketry by a mother.... :(

That's why I handle all of my own expenses. Also my electronics assembly service helps cover how many of my own packages are being delivered :)

That's why I handle all of my own expenses. Also my electronics assembly service helps cover how many of my own packages are being delivered :)

That's funny Connor,,,,
Mr. Slick himself...................lol...lol

Teddy

I feel quite lucky that my Father, and to a lesser extent mother, and a further lesser extent sister... are rather supportive of my rocketry. They're willing to work with me when Christmas comes, and when a launch rolls around, they're usually more than willing to come out and watch. (" but mom, you have to come, this is my first time flying [such and such motor] It'll be an awesome flight!")

Nate

I'm working on convincing my wife a camper is a good idea for family vacations... Once we've got one, then I'll start planning our trips around launches

I tried the "hey- it'd be kinda cool to have an RV".... didn't work.

Still trying to think up a better meaning for the acronym LDRS before I ask her if I can take the kids to it.

"uhh.. it stands for... Little Dinky Rocket Seminar"..

I already have an RV. Makes it nice when going to launches, along with a geneator. I dont have an old lady yet!

My wife not only supports it, she is taking an interest in it. I'm not sure if it's an interest of her own, a way to spend more time with me, or just something relaxing to keep her busy. Any or all is fine. I get to build and fly rockets. She spends time with me and the boys. And she lets me spend money on it. Win, win, win.

I am one of the fortunate ones. My wife is very supportive. She loves to quilt and now that my kids are starting to graduate college and move out we have begun to convert one of the bedrooms into a sewing room for her. I think she sees my interest in rockets and plastic models as a good thing. In fact, my Christmas present from her and the kids was a nifty glass display cabinet for my models. We are high school sweethearts so she remembers me building and flying when we were in high school....now that I am 51...its kinda come full circle and I am back to flying and building again.

In my sistuation "Supportive" can be labeled as contributing funds.
The answer is no.
But, she does like that I have a hobby that keeps me home and Doesn't cost her anything, or to be geleous over.
As for her hobbies, she's one of a kind chef. I fully support her.
She likes to cook, I love to eat.
BTW, I could stand a few weeks away from her to loose 50lbs.!
And make it to a few HP launches out West!!!

LOL! Funnest thing I have read all week. :rofl:

TA

My Wife is glad I have a hobby, and let's me do what I want as long as it fits our budget. I do not have a secret credit card or any such thing for rockets. I am cogniscent of of finances and stay within our means.

Mrs. Duck is cool with my myriad hobbies but doesn't participate. We are now parents of a brace of teenagers so there is lots of fodder for joint attention anyway. Four years from now when they are both in college I will probably have to endure another unBAR / reBAR cycle due to massive cash drain. :y:

My wife fully supports my rocket hobby. In fact she's the one that encouraged me to get back into it.

I already have an RV. Makes it nice when going to launches, along with a geneator. I dont have an old lady yet!

No old lady? Should try a partner you might like it!

As for me, my wife has the more expensive hobby, so rocketry is easy to pass by:
7443933554_83ae7f5967_n.jpg

No old lady? Should try a partner you might like it!

As for me, my wife has the more expensive hobby, so rocketry is easy to pass by:
7443933554_83ae7f5967_n.jpg

David,
As a mechanic by trade, the picture of your wife working on her bike is so hawt!!! :wink: :wink:

Adrian

Back