Flight of the1/5 scale Bell X-2 at the Balls 23 launch in Black Rock NV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a terrific project! I did a Google search on this topic and it looks like there is more information out there. It takes a lot of know-how to pull off a project like this. I wonder if it was one person or a team.

Last edited:
If I use a wing area=1680 sq.in. and a weight of 46.2 lbs or 739 oz., the wing loading is 2.27 sq.in. per oz. The model is very heavy compared to our ordinary much smaller rocket gliders. I am thinking that the model's air speed is high enough to create plenty of lift for the heavy wing loading.

If I use a wing area=1680 sq.in. and a weight of 46.2 lbs or 739 oz., the wing loading is 2.27 sq.in. per oz. The model is very heavy compared to our ordinary much smaller rocket gliders. I am thinking that the model's air speed is high enough to create plenty of lift for the heavy wing loading.

Wing loading effects are not linear to size. Better to figure the cube loading of a model to predict how it will fly at a given weight. I still think in wing loading terms, but have a sliding scale of model size that I apply to the aircraft under consideration. A larger model like the X-2 does fine at 64 oz/sq foot. The glide is not slow, but as the video shows, is perfectly manageable.

I know of several large turbine jet RC models with higher wing loadings up close 100 oz/sq ft and some large scale prop models approaching that wing loading as well.

Dave Schafer is not too far from me and I saw his model on display at a large model event, locally. One outstanding project with wonderful engineering and workmanship.

Back