Coming Soon - Fantastic Four

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read it is a re-boot. Looks like Hollywood is still out of ideas.

Stuart

I read it is a re-boot. Looks like Hollywood is still out of ideas.

Stuart

+1 to Hollywoods lack of creativity, at least the idea to re-boot the Princess Bride died early, but everything else they seem to think needs a rework every 10 years.

Yup. Now that American Sniper is a hit, we can expect a few dozen new war movies.

Actually, all of these re-boots and re-makes etc. have to do with their Marvel contracts. Long time ago Marvel sold the rights to most of their characters to other studios to make some $$$$. Within the contract it stated (to put it simply) that they must make a movie within a certain period of time or the rights to those characters go back to Marvel. That's how they got Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America etc. back and were able to create The Avengers. All those became Marvels again, among others. Fox owns a lot of the rights to Marvel characters such as Spider Man and X-Men and Fantastic 4. Their contract states (again, to put it simply) if they do make a movie that they must continue to make NEW movies with the character every few years or they loose the rights to that character and it goes back to Marvel. This is why they "re-boot" the franchise after the trilogy has been done or after a movie fails. Until the franchise is no longer profitable, the studios that own the rights do not want them to go back to Marvel. Hope all that make a little sense.

...Fudd

Is'nt this what they did with Spiderman? I think it is stupid to remake a movie that was only made recently, with different Actors.
It's dumb enough that there have been like 20 different actors playing Batman.

I'm not a huge fan of superhero movies. And the endless chain of reboots is getting so tired and old. The only Marvel movie I've really enjoyed in recent years was Guardians of the Galaxy, and to me that felt more like a Sci-fi space opera than a superhero movie.

And the endless chain of reboots is getting so tired and old.
Ditto. CGI attempts to make up for garbage scripts. Look at the very short credits for classic sci-fi films based upon great scripts and stories and compare them with the LONG credit rolls now and a hundred million spent on production.

If I can comment on the OP's post, I like the Fantastic Four ! The original Lee/Kirby stories blew my little 8 year old head clean off. Let's face facts: comic book movies are making a nickle and dime right now so that MUST be the reason we see so many. When that trend stops we'll see something else I'm sure.

Last edited:
They haven't made a good FF movie yet, and I've seen three of them. This one is supposed to be a real departure from the comic book source material, including an African-American Johnny Storm. This departure may save it or kill it; I'm guessing the latter.

They haven't made a good FF movie yet, and I've seen three of them. This one is supposed to be a real departure from the comic book source material, including an African-American Johnny Storm. This departure may save it or kill it; I'm guessing the latter.

Seen at a movie theater ? If so, didn't matter much to the producers what you thought of it. I'd imagine any Marvel property is in pretty high demand to get made into a movie right now. I just saw one FF movie on cable and it didn't make me go out of my way to see another, although I liked Michael Chiklis' Thing alot. For me, the casting is key and the other three were... Meh!

Last edited:
I saw both Fox FF movies in the theater. The earlier one from the 1990s was never intended to be released, and had to be bought as a bootleg at a con.

But there is a difference between going once, and going multiple times. There is a difference between telling your friends "It was great!" and "It was okay." And then do you buy the DVD or pass?

Unless critics and fans rave about the new one, I don't think I will see it. I'd like to see Marvel get the rights back and do it the right way.

Oh, and to me there is a big difference between "reboots" and "remakes." Marvel comics have been around for over 50 years, and many of the characters (Capt. America, Namor, Human Torch) longer than that. I see rebooting a comic book franchise with a long history as a very different thing than taking a 1970s TV show and "remaking it." I have avoided everyone of them (Starsky and Hutch, The Dukes of Hazzard, S.W.A.T., The A-Team, etc.). No interest.

But the new Planet of the Apes movies are "reboots." And think they are awesome, although not as ground-breaking as Heston's original.

Back