Upsaced Centuri 300 3 stage f-15s

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wave a weight yet so it depends on that . if its over 19 oz then I will strap-on 2 D-12s and all will be well!

Looks pretty cool. It doesnt look to heavy but those F15's add a bit of weight. I would not be surprised though if you find that the 3 F's will work. For sure with the D boosters. I would opt for the composite first stage over the D's . Just my opinion to save propellant weight and ease of starting 1 VS 3 motors.
Great build and looking for launch pics and info.:cool:

Looks pretty cool. It doesnt look to heavy but those F15's add a bit of weight. I would not be surprised though if you find that the 3 F's will work. For sure with the D boosters. I would opt for the composite first stage over the D's . Just my opinion to save propellant weight and ease of starting 1 VS 3 motors.
Great build and looking for launch pics and info.:cool:

Yes, but then you need electronics to light the upper stage.
Maybe 2 E28Ts in parallel?

Awesome looking rocket!! That's gonna be a LOT of burn time!
Nate

According to the F15 data sheet from the NAR's S&T, you are going to have about 10.3 oz. of motors, and that is not taking into account the weight of the rest of the rocket.

Thanks For the weight on the motors! That is much needed info.
I will be taking it into work this week to get an official weight on it.

Those Estes F15 motors don’t have a lot of Umph!! off the pad. My F15 powered two stage rocket had a “Slow realistic takeoff “and didn’t stage all that high up.

"Think you used enough fins there Butch?"

FYI, 3 Estes F15 motors have 180g of propellant, making it high power, requiring certification and FAA waiver. Using 3 E16s would not, at 120g total.

FYI, 3 Estes F15 motors have 180g of propellant, making it high power, requiring certification and FAA waiver. Using 3 E16s would not, at 120g total.

I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to mention that.

I haven't staged composite engines, but wouldn't he need electronics to start all of the stages? And zero delay booster engines? Just checked thrustcurve and the F-15 is SU composite.

I haven't staged composite engines, but wouldn't he need electronics to start all of the stages? And zero delay booster engines? Just checked thrustcurve and the F-15 is SU composite.

Maybe there's more than 1 F15 then, estes makes a 29mm F15 BP motor.

He's clearly intending to use the 29mm Black Powder Motors. That is obvious from just reading/paying attention to the Thread.

I am going to use estes bp f-15s.....so I need a cert and waver? for black powder?.......

I am going to use estes bp f-15s.....so I need a cert and waver? for black powder?.......

Yes, due to propellent weight you need to be L1 and flying with a waiver. 2 F15s or 3 E16s would not require cert or waiver.

F15, not f-15. Numbers after the dash are the delay time.

Boosters would be F15-0.

Upper stage would be F15-6 or F15-8.

IF it goes straight up, the F15-8 would be the correct delay time for the upper stage. IF it does not go straight up, it could be a disaster impacting the ground at high speed or maybe it will be fine with an F15-6 if the final angle and speed are not too bad.

See graphic for info. Print it. Save a copy on your desktop or rocketry related folder on your hard drive.

https://www.doug79.com/stuff/HPR_metric9c.pdf

PLEASE use a 1/4" diameter x 6' long steel launch rod and only launch in no wind. And have a really, REALLY large launch and recovery area. Of course, if you are legally launching it as a High Power Rocket, then you will have a waiver and the proper launch and recovery area.

Very nice rocket! I'd love to get my hands on a Centuri Arrow 300 and an upscale is a cool idea.

What kind of wood are you using for those fins? I noticed in the pictures that the grain is running parallel to the body tube rather than to the leading edge. If they are balsa, the are about guaranteed to pop along the grain and break off with very little stress. Basswood is OK that way, though not the best arrangement, plywood is a different story entirely.

Got to see those BP Estes F motors over the weekend. Them's some big o motors!!

That's what's great about this forum, always learn something new!

Hoping for clear skies and calm winds!

See ya,
Rod

Very nice rocket! I'd love to get my hands on a Centuri Arrow 300 and an upscale is a cool idea.

What kind of wood are you using for those fins? I noticed in the pictures that the grain is running parallel to the body tube rather than to the leading edge. If they are balsa, the are about guaranteed to pop along the grain and break off with very little stress. Basswood is OK that way, though not the best arrangement, plywood is a different story entirely.

Judging by the Weight that he gave earlier in this Thread, 5.8oz., I'de say those are likely Balsa.

The fins are 2-ply balsa that I glued together with some VERY strong epoxy . I crossed the grains when I laminated them, so
grain direction is not an issue!
Glad to see some growing interest in my project. And thanks to all for all the input and feed back.

More to come!

Back