And yet further proof...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockyt

Reaction score
Well, for my first thread, I've decided to recap this past weekends activities, and those that led up to it.

For quite a while, I was working on a customized Estes Flutter-by. I got addicted to 'FatBoy's Acme Steampunk threads, and decided to try my hand at one; Using my favorite rocket, a cereal box, a manilla folder, some peel n stick wooden veneer, and some scrapbooking pearl stickers.

Spent around 13 hours getting it here (sorry for a lack of in process pics):
View attachment 253045

It then spent a while dormant over the month of December, but between the break and receiving a kit or two for Xmas... I spent another 3 hours or so getting it here:

DSCN6174.jpg
DSCN6176.jpg

My kids loved it...my son called it my 'rusty metal rocket.'

Before launching, I decided to do some research on what rocket motor to use...is came in at 1.4 oz. unloaded... and it is recommended to fly on an A8-3. Various reviews and threads on the rocket revealed a tendency to go really high, and get lost. There are also various reports of it lawn darting...I should have stopped here and displayed her (You probably see where this is going)....

But I was excited to see her fly and show her off at the club. I asked around a bit, and the consensus was that I needed to step up the motor a bit due to weight (probably preaching to the pastors club here, but...) since an A8-3 max is 3 oz and the rocket was 2.2 oz loaded...

...So, I loaded a B4-4 and added her to launch pad #2 and my newly minted Fusion X-25 on pad #3 (one for each of the kids to launch). . .
When our turn came, I stepped back like a proud little papa...and watched...

She had a beautiful flight, nice and (mostly) straight, but...pretty fast....
We all got to see the ejection charge smoke pop...then took cover as it was apparent (when visible), that the upper (nosecone) was coming in ballistic, lawn darting, just like the reviews said...

....The field was covered in melting snow, so it was slushy and muddy...so should have been an ok landing....but

Our launch site starts at the parking lot next to a baseball field...and my rocket arced over a bit and missed the grass by about 6 feet. here's what's left:

WP_20150124_11_10_06_Pro.jpg

Even during ejection, we never saw the rear (motor mount) section, even after searching the field for a good half hour, maybe more, before heading home....

So, getting back to the Fusion X-25, it launched as soon as the flutter-by ejection charge went off.... Had a lot better flight than I expected, good ejection... and landed softly....

at the top...

of the only tree on the field. Strangely, it even caught a branch inside the body tube and the chute a bit farther down.

Yes we had retrieval gear, but they were all a few feet short, so we called it a loss...

and went to find the Dragonite we lost earlier in the day...no luck here...

So 3 of 7 lost in one day, one hour really....

SO to finish the thread name:

And yet further proof, that the probability of a rocket getting lost is directly proportionate to the amount of time spent finishing it...

Good thing I have a long queue of bagged rockets to build...including (ok, bragging to make myself feel better :D)

a BSG Viper upscale from morerockets.com
a 25th Anniversary USS NCC 1701 Enterprise
and an Estes SR-71 Blackbird

None of which will see this field...

IN conclusion, the Flutter-by and X-25 are both fun rockets... and lots of fun to watch..but, as seen everywhere I looked, I would not fly it on anything but an A8-3 and I am considering getting the adapter kit for using mini motors (yes, ....I have another kit, and I am strongly considering trying the steampunk idea again...but as a desk model only....

Happy flight, happy life....

Last edited:
I regularly fly rockets on motors that are rated for less than what the Rocket weighs.
If your "Suggested Max Liftoff" weight was 3 oz., you would have been plenty safe at or slightly above 3oz.
Others will be along shortly to debate this with me, but I won't get into it with them, as it would be pointless.
Sorry about your loss. She was beautiful!!!

Ooooooouuuuuuucccchhhh!
Wow that was a nicely finished bird!
I had a similar experience but flew the bird first unpainted.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-flutter-by-estes-flutter-by-tom-markel.html
Agreed, fun rocket best launched on A8-3 (or A10-3T with adapter ) on soft grassy field!

Actually, yours was the posted I was referring to most...

I was also thinking about a chute/streamer recovery,and was wondering if it could be packed inside the nosecone given the short length of the rocket, by leaving the cap/bulkhead off and sealing off the clay weight.

You could use Teflon tape (plumber's tape) or crepe paper for the streamer. No worries about melting or burning. You'll need to replace it frequently, but they're cheap enough to do it on every flight.

I've been thinking about this a while, and think I can rebuild her to 'close to stock' but I am having some trouble id'ing the nosecone. I know it's part of the pnc 5pk from Estes, but part #072656 isn't on any of the reference sheets I could find. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Doesn't even look like an Estes part number. Maybe an email to the company is in order if it's an out of date number. Wouldn't be hard to get a suitable replacement by measuring the remnants you have. Nice looking steampunk.

That was the # referenced in the directions, so I thought I'd ask. I've emailed the company and we'll see what they say...I truly hope it isn't:
"It's an original piece, and isn't available by itself, requiring the purchase of the 5pk."

I'll keep everyone informed of the info, and the rebuild....she will fly again....
...if
...only across the room. :D

Latest:

I contacted Estes to inquiry about buying a nosecone and received, shall we say, a bag of spare parts for this particular style of rocket...More than generous...

So the rebuild is expected to begin Friday....I will snap pictures as I go this time....

"We can rebuild it, we have the technology" ...tune in to witness the (re)birth of the SA-1

Rockyt....

You really did a great job on finishing that rocket. I especially like how you did the wood. The nice thing about that finishing style is that repairs are easy to do since there is no need to try to match color and sheen. Nice work! Keep it up!

Don't worry. It all gets easier as you gain more launch experience. Even the best of us had higher that desired loss ratios in the beginning. Now save the rare cato or wind gust, maybe a fin might come off on a hard landing.

Jerome :)

Rebuilding will begin shortly, now that my 220swift 2x upscale is in primer...and it turns out that the steampunk flutter-by wouldn't have lasted another flight regardless...all of the glue joins in the nosecone were broken. This nose cone slid out of the body tube like it was a dry fit and the 'loop cap' came out the same way...so I have the main. Assembly in good condition and will rebuild the lower assembly from the nosecone will be brand new...and easier to paint....pics next post...

Last edited:
Remember that 4.5 Newtons is 1 pound of force, so even a 3 oz rocket will at least get off the launch pad with 1 Newton of thrust, let alone an A8. Probably best to use an altitude calculator to get the delay right, though.

That said I just got two FlutterBys for $3 each on the last clearance sale, so I may have to mod one of them like this...

My FlutterBy is primed and ready for paint; its going to be high gloss white and candy apple red so I can find it after it lands.

Back