Estes Pro Series II Launch Style

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I'm starting to do a considerable amount more in the MPR. My previous limited excursions we used a rail and buttons. The Pro Series II used a 1/4" launch rod.

So my question is, which is better in the long run? Is it worth investing in the rail and modifying the estes rockets?

I like rails alot. I'm starting to put rail guides on all my MPR and above. For MPR I put both the rail guide and the 1/4" launch lugs, so I have options. For HPR, rail guides only. I haven't gone back to retrofit my Leviathan, but if I were building it again, I'd have rail guides on one side and lugs on another.

That's a nice idea. Hadn't considered doing both. Now I need to consider what size rail and buttons to use. As I understand it, there's 3 sizes of rails and buttons. And I suppose I should consider whether I want to use a standard rail base or a custom build.

Also guess I should get involved with the local rocket groups again. Otherwise you guys are going to get tired of my stupid questions.

I only launch at the club events and they have rails. I've retro fitted all of my MPR with rail buttons and anything built in the last 5 years had the lugs left off.

If you are going to launch on your own and have a pad that used 1/8" to 1/4" rods, then use the lugs. If you are also going to launch at club events that have rails, then put buttons or guides opposite of the lugs and get the best of both worlds.

Back