MJG Initiator end cap?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woferry

Reaction score
I received my box of MJG Firewire Initiators last week, and reading the notes on the box (okay, I guess I'll turn in my Man Card now) I was surprised to see the last one: "Do not remove cap from initiator head." This doesn't appear to be an implied 'until use' statement, as the note for the other end clearly says "Do not remove leg wire shunt until ready to make connections." Plus the way it's designed it would have to slide all the way down the wire to the exposed leads to come off, which further seems to suggest that it shouldn't.

So is one really expected to leave the cap on and put the capped head in with the black powder? It obviously takes more space, is there some other reason to keep this cap in place? I'm suddenly concerned that I should have gone with a larger charge well if I'm going to end up with two of these capped heads inside.

Thanks.

DSC02962.jpg

Don't worry about it. It's a safety cap designed to protect the pyro head from friction, impact and static discharges. While a pain, it's there for a reason until you use it. I assume you only arm on the pad, correct? Slide it down (or off and put it in your pocket for litter control). For ejection charges-keep the ends shunted until loading.

Had bought a few of these from onsite vendor without the cap. The pyrogen kinda flake away without the protection ..

Kenny

I always slide the cap down when I make up the charges. I leave the cap on the wire most times. It doesn't hurt anything and is there for disposal when you're done.

I haven't found a good use for the used caps... and don't think I haven't thought about it. :blush:

I keep them on and slid down to the base of the pyrogen. In my opinion, it helps prevent any kind of shorting possibilities with the exposed metal below the pyrogen coming in contact with the copper charge wells I use.

...Fudd

Which vendor did you order from? When I called MJG a few days ago, they were out of stock.

I ordered mine from MJG directly. I had actually placed the order back in early October, and it just shipped on the 8th of this month. They said something about having to make a change which required new approval from the ATF before they could ship it. To be honest I'd forgotten that I even placed the order, when I stumbled across the receipt I emailed them trying to find out what was going on and they shipped the next week. I guess I just happened to ask at the right time.

Common e match pyrogens are quite sensitive to shock and friction. The end cap is there to prevent you from accidentally setting it off by crushing it or stepping on it. Though the stuff that doesn't require ATF license isn't quite so sensitive but they are also not as reliable...

The fireworks industry just connects it to their fuse.
No need for them to remove the cap as, it actually helps them.....

JD

I received my box of MJG Firewire Initiators last week, and reading the notes on the box (okay, I guess I'll turn in my Man Card now) I was surprised to see the last one: "Do not remove cap from initiator head." This doesn't appear to be an implied 'until use' statement, as the note for the other end clearly says "Do not remove leg wire shunt until ready to make connections." Plus the way it's designed it would have to slide all the way down the wire to the exposed leads to come off, which further seems to suggest that it shouldn't.

So is one really expected to leave the cap on and put the capped head in with the black powder? It obviously takes more space, is there some other reason to keep this cap in place? I'm suddenly concerned that I should have gone with a larger charge well if I'm going to end up with two of these capped heads inside.

Thanks.

View attachment 252998

Back