Estes Saturn V - Motor cluster kit - where to get?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad4hws

Reaction score
I saw these all over ebay several months ago, but not anymore. Does anyone know where I might get these? I think it was a cluster of 5 motors. Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, Commonwealth has gone the way of the Dodo. Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack might have something you can cobble together...

Cheers,
Michael

UMRS has them:
https://www.unclemikesrocketshack.com/Motor_Mounts_Accs/Quad_Beyond_MM.html
24mm 4x18mm BT101 Plywood mounting rings

Nice price too and they have other BT101 sized motor mounts as well. Just use the 24mm centering ring for the top that comes with the kit. I am sure that there are other people on here who can fashion some on their CNC, laser or 3d printing machine but I doubt any of those will be as inexpensive as UMRS.

Just as a follow on, having launched a SatV a few times - more power is necessary - the D12 recommendation is crazy to me but I understand why. At a minimum I'd make sure that you can fit an longer "E" size 24mm motor in there. In fact, I'd recommend putting a 29mm motor mount in there with 4x18 for clustering. The new PSII black powder 29mm motors are a good match for the SatV - not so thrusty that the fins will rip off but powerful enough to give it a decent ride.

Of course the fins will likely need some reinforcement and there are some other structural changes which might be a good idea, but just some food for thought.

Back