Weird Jolly Logic readings...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
Flew an AT Arreaux on a G78-10G today at QCRS and got some interesting readings on the Jolly Logic Altimeter 2:
Apogeee 2636 ft
Top Speed 377 mph
Thrust Time 1.37 sec
Peak Acceleration 14.6 Gs
Average Acceleration 12.6 Gs
Coast to Apogee 10.2 sec
Apogee to Eject -10.1 sec
Ejection 22 ft
Descent 0mph
Duration 108.4 sec

So... The Apogee to Eject and Ejection ( and therefore Descent) are clearly wrong. We know the rocket separated at apogee, not at 22 feet.
Anyone know why that might be? We had it dangling inside the payload section with nothing else. Is this a mounting problem? A venting problem?

I get the same kind of bug with the altimeter zip tied to a bulkhead, and in a sled. I think it's a bug in the software that the next update fixes.

I get the same kind of bug with the altimeter zip tied to a bulkhead, and in a sled. I think it's a bug in the software that the next update fixes.

It's a known behavior we're working to filter out. It's due to a substantial deceleration at burnout fooling AltimeterTwo into thinking it's an ejection. Thus the times. We're working on an algorithm that compensates. We'll update your unit for free once we have a fix.

Version 4.0 seems to fix it in most cases.
If you have a lower version AltimeterTwo,
mail it to us with your return address and we'll load new firmware.

Jolly Logic
231 Daylight Place
Danville, CA 94526

John, how do we stand with updates in the UK? Turn around times if you guys do it? Cheers.

Version 4.0 seems to fix it in most cases.
If you have a lower version AltimeterTwo,
mail it to us with your return address and we'll load new firmware.

Jolly Logic
231 Daylight Place
Danville, CA 94526

John,

I will be sending back my A2 because I have the same erroneous reading described by the OP. I have a question, I have a latest generation A1 with firmware version 2.4. Is that the latest firmware for the A1?

If there is an update, I can send it back with the A2.

Let me know.

I believe that I am affected by this problem as well. Any way to do the update locally? I do not need it back on any timeline, but it would be nice to skip the shipping.

I believe that I am affected by this problem as well. Any way to do the update locally? I do not need it back on any timeline, but it would be nice to skip the shipping.

Alas, no. You need to send it in. Shipping is a pain, but you can just throw it in an envelope. In the US it costs about $2.42.

With AltimeterThree we moved to a system where you can update the firmware using just your mobile phone (we actually push the update out and you get it automatically). But AltimeterTwo requires an update in our labs.

Back