UKRA AGM Brief Update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick update on the UKRA AGM today.
The choice of location was excellent, I mean what could be better than the National Space Centre.
It was a very cordial atmosphere, and I believe everyone in the room contributed positively to the discussions on the proposed changes. I was particularly impressed with Phil from FOGs contribution, I didn't know he'd already done so much work on redefining the role of RSOs in the UKRA. He will be working with them to refine and implement his proposals.
There was much lively debate about whether or not there should be a UKRA National Event, most members were supportive of the idea, but the matter remains unresolved for now, although there is an agreement to put the idea up on the website to see if there would be a club willing to host it.
It was agreed almost unanimously that the current membership structure should continue as it is for at least the current year.
UKRA has a new membership secretary, yours truly :)
I will be working with Russ on the handover next week, so hopefully we'll start processing membership applications from the first week of February.
It was also agreed to make some attempt to update the UKRA website this year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I had hoped to be there but there were some last minute logistical hurdles...

Does this mean we still need to pay to join UKRA or is it free as per the proposal?

Hi amell,
It will continue as is. So yes, there will still be a charge of £10 for membership. It went to a vote, and most people in the room voted to keep the status quo for the current year. I personally voted to keep the charge as I believe that free membership devalues being an UKRA member, it could also skew the membership numbers because if it's free people might just apply for the sake of it.
It was also pointed out that the UKRA doesn't exist to make money, and the money it does receive actually belongs to all the members, the Council are just guardians of the coffers and will spend any money received through membership on things that the members would like to see, such as sponsoring a National Event.

Hi Simon

Just a quick message to wish you good luck in your role on the council. I was sat across the room from you ( with the wife). I thought the meeting went very well with constructive comments and healthy discussion throughout. I agree with your comments regarding choice of venue. Just wish we had got there much earlier to take advantage of the free admission to the centre...

Hopefully you will soon be up and running and in a position to accept membership renewals. Budgets permitting, I hope to upgrade from 'associate' member to 'full' and try and get more flying done this year!

Hi Starbug, many thanks for your support, it's arguable that UKRA should offer a reduced membership fee for this year as members won't get a full years membership. I will bring it up with the Council members and see what the consensus of opinion is. I too wish I'd got there earlier, but unfortunately I invited my wife and it took her 2 hours to get ready only to decide not to attend and go shopping instead.
It looks like we'll be processing membership from the second week of February.

Great that it all went well.

Was there anything radical decided? Changes and initiatives to promote model rocketry in the UK?

I understand your principle of no charge reduction but what about charge linkage to clubs and the BMFA? Isn't the challenge free membership and coverage for kids (albeit with adult supervision as a condition)?

Look forward to hearing about the positive things that the AGM has agreed.

SO.

I look forward to the final process and out come. Not surprised some things have not happened due to low numbers. Hoping that changes make others want too join.

A yearly meet in a practical location be cool! Best idea yet I think.
Membership yes good, be nice to be part of something to recall/log what we do and what you can achieve. Running costs for this as they are I think it fine.

I think all should have BMFA. Then be part of UKRA. Any UK rocket clubs should set-up BMFA making them recognized then

I look forward to the final process and out come. Not surprised some things have not happened due to low numbers. Hoping that changes make others want too join.

A yearly meet in a practical location be cool! Best idea yet I think.
Membership yes good, be nice to be part of something to recall/log what we do and what you can achieve. Running costs for this as they are I think it fine.

I think all should have BMFA. Then be part of UKRA. Any UK rocket clubs should set-up BMFA making them recognized then

Latest posts

Back