Scale Astrobee-D semi-scratch made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix1583

Reaction score
Hey folks.

I'm building the Astrobee-D scale HPR that I've been wanting to do for a while now. Using all bluetube for the body and motor mount. I'm using fins from the Aerotech kit to preserve the detail that they've got.

I've been getting the parts over the last few weeks a little bit at a time and I'm now got everything I need to get building. I'm new to this so any feedback is most welcome. (and before you mention it, yes, I know CO2 is excessive. :neener: )

Anyway, the images below are the basic design on openrocket (all parts have been massed and are represented in the design file.) The rocket will stand at 68.2" with a diameter of 2.68" and ~4.9lbs in total loaded. Additionally, the engine will not have an ejection charge in it and the bottom boost section is sealed with the chute coming from the payload section.

ebay2.jpg

Parts.jpg

astrobeedesign.jpg

Smallish update. Motor mount designed, constructed, and inserted. Rail buttons in place and set. Next comes fins. I'll be using Aerotech Astrobee-D fins with some minor modifications since I don't have the tools to make proper scale fins that are anything but flat.

motormountCGI.jpg

Motorsection.jpg

Motorsection2.jpg

Is your MMT just a Cumputer Rendering???

Mhm. I've been doing CG as a hobby for about a decade. Not quite a rendering though, it's just a viewport screenshot that I cropped. I like to design the parts before I make them so that I have everything laid out in my head prior to actually making anything. It's good for tweaking design elements in real-time. I then take the designs that I like and move them into OpenRocket to tweak further to ensure stability.

Basically, I'm applying my existing methods for low and mid-power to high power. So far so good. :)

Mhm. I've been doing CG as a hobby for about a decade. Not quite a rendering though, it's just a viewport screenshot that I cropped. I like to design the parts before I make them so that I have everything laid out in my head prior to actually making anything. It's good for tweaking design elements in real-time. I then take the designs that I like and move them into OpenRocket to tweak further to ensure stability.

Basically, I'm applying my existing methods for low and mid-power to high power. So far so good. :)

I was just curious, and hoping that it was not a 3D Printed part.

Looking good! Interesting idea of using the AT fins for the detail. When I built my scratch Astrobee-D, I just used flat fins, and concentrated on other scale design elements. I got the CD from Aerojet which has a lot of interesting information, photos, and drawings.

Looking good! Interesting idea of using the AT fins for the detail. When I built my scratch Astrobee-D, I just used flat fins, and concentrated on other scale design elements. I got the CD from Aerojet which has a lot of interesting information, photos, and drawings.

you wouldn't happen to be willing to share those files would you?

It's a CD full of stuff. PM me your address and I'll mail you a copy.

Here is my build thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?35465-First-scale-scratch-build-the-Astrobee-D

And here are some teasers. My favorite is the igniter drawing, which lists a Sweetheart Drinking Straw as a component. I was disappointed that there are no pocket protectors in any of the photos. LOL

LOL....... those initiators are almost identical to the ones I make for drag racing & I also use straws.Plastic now...paper straws are very hard to find. Fill it with BPN [Boron] ignition powder and that starts the BKNO3 pellets surrounding the straw inside a second tube.

Back to your build..................:grin:

LOL....... those initiators are almost identical to the ones I make for drag racing & I also use straws.Plastic now...paper straws are very hard to find. Fill it with BPN [Boron] ignition powder and that starts the BKNO3 pellets surrounding the straw inside a second tube.

Back to your build..................:grin:

Just get yourself some thick kraft cardstock, dip it in bee's wax and form it into a straw, glue together with more wax. Paraffin was would work just as well. You'd be surprised how much modern military technology relies on paper and wax - I learned that during my six years of service in the USAF. :facepalm:

p.s., due to my school and work schedule, I've only got time to work on this a little on Mondays and Fridays so the next update can be expected on Monday night. I'll be setting up the payload section.

Got a little break from my coursework at university. I was able to set up the second part of the body tube for cutting and drilling.

As you can see in the following photo: I'm keeping true to the Astrobee-D scale and using 12 screws to hold the payload section together and to connect the booster and nose cone to it.

I'll be cutting this tonight after work and I'll post an update photo tomorrow or Tuesday, time permitting.

payloadprecut.jpg

Back