APE - Altimeter Bay System for Wildman/CTI 54mm Nose Cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAttebery

Reaction score
I designed a altimeter bay system for the new Wildman/CTI thin wall 54mm nose cones. It will accommodate altimeters up to 4" long and is pre-slotted to mount a 9V battery.

This kit includes all of the necessary hardware:
1/8" Black G10 Bulkhead
1/8" Black G10 Backing Ring
1/16" Black G10 Altimeter Tray
Machined 6061 Aluminum bracket
1/4" U-Bolt, screws, t-nuts, etc.

They are priced at $35 and are available now.

IMG_2682.jpg
IMG_2685.jpg
262769265.jpg
262850349.jpg
IMG_2679.jpg

Last edited:
I designed a altimeter bay system for the new Wildman/CTI thin wall 54mm nose cones. It will accommodate altimeters up to 4" long and is pre-slotted to mount a 9V battery.

This kit includes all of the necessary hardware:
1/8" Black G10 Bulkhead
1/8" Black G10 Backing Ring
1/16" Black G10 Altimeter Tray
Machined 6061 Aluminum bracket
1/4" U-Bolt, screws, t-nuts, etc.

They are priced at $35 and are available now.

Nice. Is the backing ring attached to nosecone with epoxy?

Just submitted my order for this assembly, it looks great!

My request was for a blank board, leaving only the two bolt holes that attach to the 90 degree aluminum bracket. The plan is to use a Telemetrum and it will need to be very close to the bulkhead to make room for the antenna to go into the tip of the cone. Looking forward to receiving the cone and altimeter bay assembly and put it all together and fly it at wicked velocities...for the East coast...

This looks Awesome!! Do you have any plans to offer these for the 3 inch kits as well?

Thanks! I could offer other sizes but I don't have one of my own to work with. All I really need is the ID and length of the coupler though. Send me a PM.

This looks Awesome!! Do you have any plans to offer these for the 3 inch kits as well?

Last edited:
Thanks Dan. I got your order. Anything is possible but I have a couple questions for you so I'll send you an email.

Just submitted my order for this assembly, it looks great!

My request was for a blank board, leaving only the two bolt holes that attach to the 90 degree aluminum bracket. The plan is to use a Telemetrum and it will need to be very close to the bulkhead to make room for the antenna to go into the tip of the cone. Looking forward to receiving the cone and altimeter bay assembly and put it all together and fly it at wicked velocities...for the East coast...

Wow Chris,,,
Sharp as a tack......
Really clean looking,, minimalist for sure,, but everything necessary...
Super clean and neat....
Very cool indeed......

Teddy

Thanks Teddy. That describes my design philosophy to a tee. Clean and minimalist.

I added another picture to the original post that shows the bulkhead, bracket and u-bolt in profile.

Thanks Teddy. That describes my design philosophy to a tee. Clean and minimalist.

That shows for sure Chris,,,
Tight,, clean,, and neat....
When I'm done with the 3" build I'm doing now
I was considering a 54 mm minimum D build.....

This aught to sway me for sure...lol...

Teddy

Thanks guys. I've really enjoyed putting this together.

I cut a custom tray for Dan P. so he can mount his Telemetrium in the nose without any metal to interfere with the GPS or telemetry downlink.

IMG_2706.JPG

I've made a running change to the hardware included with this system. You can mount a Missile Works screw switch onto the included standoffs. The edge of the switch with the solder pads needs to be sanded down about 1/16" to fit into the bulkhead.

Please excuse the crappy iPhone picture. I guess I need to use my good camera. :facepalm:

IMG_2823[1].jpg

Last edited:
I've made a running change to the hardware included with this system. You can mount a Missile Works screw switch onto the included standoffs. The edge of the switch with the solder pads needs to be sanded down about 1/16" to fit into the bulkhead.

Please excuse the crappy iPhone picture. I guess I need to get use my good camera. :facepalm:

View attachment 258480

Looks great!

I will be uploading some pictures of your sled to my project page this weekend. Between the birth of my son, the acquisition of my other "son" (South Bend 13" x 6' lathe), and life in general I have neglected it. I also received my Telemetrum back from being repaired, so it will be all set up for the pictures.

Thanks again for your customization, this will be great for my project!

No problem Dan. Those are decent excuses. :wink:

I'm expecting a box from Wildman today. I'll start my own builds this weekend in between oil changes and repairing the floor in my master bathroom.

Back