F-102 The Deuce!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJRick

Saturn 1b nut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys....hope its OK to post a couple pictures of my latest plastic model....The F-102 in 1/72 scale....kit is made by a company called Meng. Always loved the look of the F-102. Hope you guys like her!

000_1331a.jpg 000_1333a.jpg 000_1335a.jpg 000_1326a.jpg

Attachments

• 000_1332a.jpg
    000_1332a.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 000_1336a.jpg
    000_1336a.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 103
WOW, and in 1/72. First glance I thought 1/48. Just beautiful !! If I had any suggestions--the few ADC birds I saw growing up--106's was the most recent while in service and 101's as a kid were darn near flawless---no panel lines visible--at least minimal. There was bluing on the burner cans. That said, if I had built it , I would have done it exactly the way you did--just gives it life and depth.Nice job. ---H

Thanks Hornet...you are probably right....I probably should not have done the panel lines..but it does give some depth to it. what I never realized with the 102 was just how big it was...it was bigger than the F-4
000_1339a.jpg

WOW, and in 1/72. First glance I thought 1/48. Just beautiful !! If I had any suggestions--the few ADC birds I saw growing up--106's was the most recent while in service and 101's as a kid were darn near flawless---no panel lines visible--at least minimal. There was bluing on the burner cans. That said, if I had built it , I would have done it exactly the way you did--just gives it life and depth.Nice job. ---H

Back in the Day it seems, Americans took great PRIDE in flying cool Planes/Jets, and blowing stuff up in style!

Proud to fly 001.jpg

Thanks Hornet...you are probably right....I probably should not have done the panel lines..but it does give some depth to it. what I never realized with the 102 was just how big it was...it was bigger than the F-4
View attachment 252697

The 102 carried it's payload internally as did the 106. That single design parameter made it/them large.The upside was they had a long distance dash speed--the 106 really hauled the mail-- to target and had large fuel loads by comparison to their counterparts.The next generation of fighters F-4,F-14,F-15 used semi recessed missiles but evolved into multi-role fighters as well. Funny, now we have come full circle. The F-22 and F-35 are large--bulkier might be a better term--- compared to the aircraft they were designed to replace. They store their payloads inside for stealth reasons. I wonder what the next gen fighters will look like in 30 or 40 years !!

In doing some reading on the F-102 for this build was interesting. The plane was designed as a "weapons system" not just a fighter. They had some real technical difficulties to overcome since the plane would not go supersonic which was a mission requirement. Couple of bulges on the aft, a little slimming of the mid fuselage and she was supersonic....a sizzling mach 1.2. But if you look at the aircraft it replaced, the F-86D and the F-89 etc, it was a technical leap. Internal missile bay, good radar, data link, true supersonic all weather capability.

When you look at the F-106, its amazing what another year or two meant in those days in terms of performance. A better engine in the J-75 becomes available...The 106, as Hornet put it, could really haul the mail. It had a top speed of Mach 2.3....over 1500 mph. Literally twice as fast as the 102. You can see that the Convair engineers had another chance to work over their design...and a much cleaner airplane in the 106 was the result.

Hornet, did you ever talk to any of the 106 guys? I hear these delta planes, while no dog fighters, were more maneuverable than they looked. The 102, from what I read, had no visibility out of the cockpit.

The 102 carried it's payload internally as did the 106. That single design parameter made it/them large.The upside was they had a long distance dash speed--the 106 really hauled the mail-- to target and had large fuel loads by comparison to their counterparts.The next generation of fighters F-4,F-14,F-15 used semi recessed missiles but evolved into multi-role fighters as well. Funny, now we have come full circle. The F-22 and F-35 are large--bulkier might be a better term--- compared to the aircraft they were designed to replace. They store their payloads inside for stealth reasons. I wonder what the next gen fighters will look like in 30 or 40 years !!

Hey guys....hope its OK to post a couple pictures of my latest plastic model....The F-102 in 1/72 scale....kit is made by a company called Meng. Always loved the look of the F-102. Hope you guys like her!

View attachment 252673 View attachment 252675 View attachment 252678 View attachment 252680

Nice work Rick! Besides rockets I like to build scale aircraft as well. Have you been to the aircraft sites? Some I like are: cybermodeler.com, hyperscale.com, aircraftresourcecenter.com, modelingmadness.com and ipmsusa.com.

Back