Testing Fly away rail guides at QCRS launch January 24,2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been testing versions of the "Fly away rail guides" that are printed on a 3D Printer out of PLA. The guides are used around a 38MM airframe (thin wall tubing) and have been successfully flown using F and G motors. I'll have several at the QCRS launch on Saturday January 24th, for anyone that wants to try them out on a 38mm airframe.

View attachment 252671 View attachment 252672
View attachment 252676 IMG_20150116_152028_867.jpg

Cool!! I will definitely check that out. Looks like we are going to have good weather for the lunch.

Cool!! I will definitely check that out. Looks like we are going to have good weather for the lunch.

Cripes!!! Gotta do the dad thing and be with my kid at his Boy Scouts Pinewood Derby races... And now it looks like I'm gonna miss lunch!!!!! :tongue: :neener:
I'm going to load up a rocket just in case I can slip away early, ya never know...

Adrian

I flew these last weekend and they are really quite nice.
In cut corn fields I recommend the orange (yellow tends to blend in a little too well)!!
If I recall the guides were never more than 15 feet or so from the rail so they were always easy to retrieve (unlike my mini vindicator).
See you all at the lunch! :grin:

Thanks, Jarhead, I appreciate your comments. I had the same experience with yellow last weekend in a cut corn field and rest assured that won't be a color I make them out of in the future.

I am really looking forward to seeing the results with the rockets tomorrow, and I hope your lunch is delicious!

If anyone has one of those GoPro cameras with the 120 frame/second video capability, I'd sure love some footage of the separation...

Last edited:
BIll,

I have one of those camera's with 240 FPS... I'll see if my boss will let me make the trek down.

Alex

Unfortunately I won't make it, but please get with rockdoc, that would be very very awesome

I flew these last weekend and they are really quite nice.
In cut corn fields I recommend the orange (yellow tends to blend in a little too well)!!

You could make them easier to find by tying them to the pad with a piece of kevlar cord. Maybe use a spool, so that after the launch, you could just wind them back.

Back