water launch and recovery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew

Reaction score
So I've got some medium powered rockets, but there isn't much in the way of desert or even open land around here in the Pacific North West. There is, however, large swaths of open water. The only thing I could come up with was a launch from the beach, towards the water, and someone in a small fast boat with a fish-net on a long pole to grab the parachute rocket before it hits the water.

How about dipping the whole rocket in varnish to make it semi-waterproof? I imagine the boat is the most difficult part of the proposition...

How about a recover system that's an inflatable ball that inflates around the rocket? Maybe I'd need a single use co2 can with some complicated activation thing... sure would be funny looking though huh?!

Naw... Use an RC version of the sky hook and keep your rocket dry.

MC-130-thumb.jpg

[video=youtube;UsTIeZ03Hk8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTIeZ03Hk8[/video]

Catching a rocket coming down seems pretty fraught, even if you are using a net on a pole. Getting under it would be a challenge as well, but probably possible with a decent boat. Coordinating launch and recovery crews will also be a challenge.

If you'd rather stay dry, there are a few fields in Western WA where you can launch mid-power rockets:

60 Acres in Redmond is the legal spot for all of King County. It's a challenge to get on the field April-October because of soccer games, but ti's pretty free all winter. Look for a calm-ish day and it's probably better not to launch over 1000-1500 feet or so. There tends to be a wind shear above 750-1000 feet where the wind really picks up with increasing altitude. Washington Aerospace Club has a few launches a year there.

I understand that Puget Sound Rocketry has a monthly launch in the Everett area, but I have never been. The one time I was scheduled, they canceled due to cows on the field. Last summer, I heard that they were setting up a relationship with a 4-H club out near Sequim, so there might be regular launches out that way if you're on that side of the water.

takes a little practice maneuvering both a dinghy and a launch controller (or have a partner) :).
Rex

saucer 003.jpg

saucer 002.jpg

I was realy hoping K'Tesh would post that hilarious Video of the Phoenix doing the Cruise Missile of an RC Barge, but I guess I'll have to go find it!!!!

[video=youtube;58RdTBpLCGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RdTBpLCGo[/video]

Last edited:
Drew, I grew up in Oak Harbor, on Whidbey Island, with over 2,000 feet of mud flats to launch my rockets over. Of course my family owned the mud flats, so I didn't have to worry about trespassing or anything like that. I know that many things have changed in the 50 years since I left and the family still owns the property, but maybe you can find some tidal mud flats to fly over. (Check with the local authorities) I now reside here in Ilwaco along the Columbia River and again I have thoughts of flying over the state owned tides lands which boarded my property, but all of my rockets are cardboard. I am seriously considering light weight fiberglass rockets and with the prevelant winds from the northwest this is ideal for flying over water or the mud flats. Hopefully you find a spot to fly:)

Or come on over to Tri-Cities area the Tri-Cities Rocketeers have a great launch facility and we usually hold a monthly launch. January got cancelled due to weather, but the Feb 28th launch date is looking good so far. We have an area of 4 crop cirles (about 4 square miles) of sod farm to launch from and usually a 10k waiver is in place.

https://www.tricitiesrocketeers.org/

I was realy hoping K'Tesh would post that hilarious Video of the Phoenix doing the Cruise Missile of an RC Barge, but I guess I'll have to go find it!!!!

[video=youtube;58RdTBpLCGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58RdTBpLCGo[/video]

That was cool...

Back