Videography

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onebadhawk

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hey guys,,
You have just got to check this out..
We have a young man on this forum that you all know as "RocketHunter"...
His name is Coleman and we are so fortunate to have him as a member of "The Radical Rocketeers" in Great Meadows New Jersey...
He got a "GoPro" camera a while ago,, I don't even think it's a year yet..
He was smart enough to get the camera with the fast frame rate,, I think it's 240 FPS...
The videos he makes of our launches are just insane...
His skills with camera placement,, his editing and switching back and forth between views
of the Tri pod mounted Go Pro and his iphone are just beyond compare.....
( Yes by the way,, the flight line views you see he takes with his cell phone !!!! )

I have one link here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym4Am88ka8Y&feature=youtu.be

Here's another one...

[video=youtube;wlAzX-zlqXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlAzX-zlqXU[/video]

One more....

[video=youtube;Bscl1EAQMM8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bscl1EAQMM8[/video]

Oh,,, and his choice of music------ unfreakinbelievable...
Takes me back to the days when I was doing things I generally deny now....lol....lol...

If you do a search on You Tube -- Radical Rocketeers you'll fine his videos of our launches....

My greatest compliments Coleman..........
What a future you have..........
You should be very proud of your self..........

Teddy

Very nicely done. Here's wishing him all the best if visual arts is where he wants to go for a day job (it ain't easy - I have two kids who are trying). But Coleman sure has the skills already.

I've just begun experimenting with the new 240 FPS video option on the iPhone 6 Plus and got about half of the BEMRC January launch that way. All shot handheld from right behind the LCO table and edited on the phone itself while on an airliner. Nowhere nearly as nicely done or polished as Coleman's work but at least a taste of slow motion LPR launches. Note the Mosquito (second launch) gets out of the frame pretty durn fast even at 240 FPS.

[video=youtube_share;bzG5DLyYiMM]https://youtu.be/bzG5DLyYiMM[/video]

Last edited:
These video's he makes are very useful as well..
On a maiden flight I had my latest rock "SteamPunk" make a right turn as it left the rail..
On second by second inspection of the video we found it was because the rocket kicked the pad so hard on ignition...
If it weren't for that video I wouldn't have known why that happened...

Teddy

Love them video's, I get a kick out of it every time I see one of mine LOL
To bad Ted you couldn't hook up one of your servo's from your RC days to the tripod and follow the rockets on up!
Mmmm do I have an idea there??
I bet Coleman could figure it out :wink:

Nice vids... Gotta say I enjoyed 'em more with the music muted...

Just prefer the native sound over whatever someone else's favorite music happens to be... (usually not the same as mine).

Later! OL JR :)

Really well done! Excellent videography and also great editing. Very fun to watch, and like you said Teddy, you can see some of the gotchas happening. There's one where you see the pad flex toward the ground and then actually bounce a bit into the air! That's probably not ideal!

The sparky motors are really cool in slo-mo, the way they kind of sputter as they go.

I'm planning on getting an iPhone 6 soon. My old phone is just limping along after about 4 or 5 years, and I'm not even able to update the OS or get any new apps anymore, so it is time. As much as any other features it might have, I'm really looking forward to the camera most of all!

Thanks for posting these!

Great job, Coleman!

Really well done! Excellent videography and also great editing. Very fun to watch, and like you said Teddy, you can see some of the gotchas happening. There's one where you see the pad flex toward the ground and then actually bounce a bit into the air! That's probably not ideal!

The sparky motors are really cool in slo-mo, the way they kind of sputter as they go.

I'm planning on getting an iPhone 6 soon. My old phone is just limping along after about 4 or 5 years, and I'm not even able to update the OS or get any new apps anymore, so it is time. As much as any other features it might have, I'm really looking forward to the camera most of all!

Thanks for posting these!

Great job, Coleman!

Erik the vid your referring to..
the yellow pad,, it got hit by the impulse of ignition so hard it jumped off the ground..
That rocket is my last build "SteamPunk",, it's 25 lbs as your lookin at it..
I think it was at about 46 seconds into the video,, the exhaust of the motor bent the 1010 rail like a wet noodle...
when the first rail guide cleared the rail the rail yanked the bottom of the rocket to the right,, pointing the rocket to go off to the left...
That vid was very helpful in determining that the rocket was fine and didn't hook off the pad of it's own accord....

Teddy

Erik the vid your referring to..
the yellow pad,, it got hit by the impulse of ignition so hard it jumped off the ground..
That rocket is my last build "SteamPunk",, it's 25 lbs as your lookin at it..
I think it was at about 46 seconds into the video,, the exhaust of the motor bent the 1010 rail like a wet noodle...
when the first rail guide cleared the rail the rail yanked the bottom of the rocket to the right,, pointing the rocket to go off to the left...
That vid was very helpful in determining that the rocket was fine and didn't hook off the pad of it's own accord....

Teddy

That's exactly the one I was talking about, the yellow pad. You can really see the rocket get whipped off the rail by all the motion of the pad! It definitely takes off at a serious angle. How are you launching it now?

Cool rocket, by the way!

That's exactly the one I was talking about, the yellow pad. You can really see the rocket get whipped off the rail by all the motion of the pad! It definitely takes off at a serious angle. How are you launching it now?

Cool rocket, by the way!

Thank you Erik,, it's a 75 mm mount,, so it's a pretty big rocket to me,,,,

On a heavier pad with a flat blast deflector plate..
That yellow pad has it's blast deflector plat at a 45 degree angle..
So on ignition the blast from the motor kicked the pad to the side....
The rail tried to follow it but the rocket was just too much mass to allow that..
Look at that launch second by second,,, extremely informative...
With a flat blast deflector plate the energy directed into the pad is pushing it down,, not off to the side...

Teddy

Thank you Erik,, it's a 75 mm mount,, so it's a pretty big rocket to me,,,,

On a heavier pad with a flat blast deflector plate..
That yellow pad has it's blast deflector plat at a 45 degree angle..
So on ignition the blast from the motor kicked the pad to the side....
The rail tried to follow it but the rocket was just too much mass to allow that..
Look at that launch second by second,,, extremely informative...
With a flat blast deflector plate the energy directed into the pad is pushing it down,, not off to the side...

Teddy

Looked to me like it lifted one leg off the ground as it pushed sideways, as well as "winding up" the rail... Once the rocket was at the top of the rail, the thing shifted back and the rail "straightened out" and shoved the rocket around a bit... "rail tip-off" I guess...

We had a G motor flight at the club launch out here one time off a Mantis pad that ended up popping a not-quite-fully-seated leg out as well as popping the "angle screw" adjustment or whatever loose and allowing the rocket to "fall over" basically as it lifted off... the sudden blast at ignition popped the leg off and popped the adjuster loose and the rocket left the rod as it was falling over. Ended up flying off at about a 45 degree angle and it was a butt-clenching moment watching the flight, because it looked to be headed for a mobile home on the other side of the creek, which it thankfully overflew and landed safely in a sorghum field beyond... but it was a close one and one which led to the retirement of the Mantis pad at our launches AFAIK...

Looked to me like it lifted one leg off the ground as it pushed sideways, as well as "winding up" the rail... Once the rocket was at the top of the rail, the thing shifted back and the rail "straightened out" and shoved the rocket around a bit... "rail tip-off" I guess...

We had a G motor flight at the club launch out here one time off a Mantis pad that ended up popping a not-quite-fully-seated leg out as well as popping the "angle screw" adjustment or whatever loose and allowing the rocket to "fall over" basically as it lifted off... the sudden blast at ignition popped the leg off and popped the adjuster loose and the rocket left the rod as it was falling over. Ended up flying off at about a 45 degree angle and it was a butt-clenching moment watching the flight, because it looked to be headed for a mobile home on the other side of the creek, which it thankfully overflew and landed safely in a sorghum field beyond... but it was a close one and one which led to the retirement of the Mantis pad at our launches AFAIK...

lol...lol...
I'm sorry JR,,,,
Dat was a funny one...
Isn't it ironic that you can laugh at something today that clenched you up yesterday....

Yes,, you're right,, that pad took such a hit on ignition that it jumped one leg off the ground....
That one flight was the greatest reason I've ever seen to have those high speed slow mo videos....

Teddy

lol...lol...
I'm sorry JR,,,,
Dat was a funny one...
Isn't it ironic that you can laugh at something today that clenched you up yesterday....

Yes,, you're right,, that pad took such a hit on ignition that it jumped one leg off the ground....
That one flight was the greatest reason I've ever seen to have those high speed slow mo videos....

Teddy

LOL:) I understand completely...

It's funny now because nothing bad happened, but while it's in flight-- it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion and knowing you can't do anything about it. Not a good feeling...

I've since read that the Mantis certainly wasn't the most durable of pads... :)

Very cool videos! Nice placement to get many launches, and good editing. I'll be looking at others tonight.

That K1100 kicked that pad's ass!

Great videos! Nice job shooting, editing, and putting everything together w/the soundtrack! Really love the slow-motion effects! Kudos!

Very cool videos! Nice placement to get many launches, and good editing. I'll be looking at others tonight.

That K1100 kicked that pad's ass!

Did you see that rail Dave ?????
That K 1100 made that rail look like a cooked strand of spaghetti....lol...lol..
I couldn't believe it..

Teddy

Did you see that rail Dave ?????
That K 1100 made that rail look like a cooked strand of spaghetti....lol...lol..
I couldn't believe it..

Teddy

When I said earlier that I'd seen the video before, it was your rocket and the Bouncin' Betty launch pad that stood out.

Didn't realize your Steam Punk was that big...hard to tell from the video with nothing to compare size to.

I have one of the newer Samsung "Smart" TVs and I browse youtube videos at night. My usual search topics are "LUNAR Snow Ranch" and "Rocketry".

We have a fair number of pretty decent videographers here on TRF ( timro, woferry, robbdm). I spotted myself in Will Ferry's Bumble Bee launch video...I'm on the pad next to him wearing the fluoro green Bay Area Rocketry t-shirt and messing with my pink Crayon rocket.

When I said earlier that I'd seen the video before, it was your rocket and the Bouncin' Betty launch pad that stood out.

Didn't realize your Steam Punk was that big...hard to tell from the video with nothing to compare size to.

I have one of the newer Samsung "Smart" TVs and I browse youtube videos at night. My usual search topics are "LUNAR Snow Ranch" and "Rocketry".

We have a fair number of pretty decent videographers here on TRF ( timro, woferry, robbdm). I spotted myself in Will Ferry's Bumble Bee launch video...I'm on the pad next to him wearing the fluoro green Bay Area Rocketry t-shirt and messing with my pink Crayon rocket.

Kit we are so fortunate that Coleman decided to get into videoing the launches...
I used to take stills at the launches and the time it takes to process and butter up all the
worthwhile shots,, delete all the bad ones and post is just insane,, hours and hours....
Coleman got into this as a lark and it has blossomed,, he has become so good at it that it becomes helpful jiving out a rocket,, like "SteamPunk" for example...
I'm glad you saw that lift off too Kit,,, very useful,,, no more heavy rockets on any pad that has it's blast deflector held at a 45 instead of flat.........

I must say,,,, the flat blast plate make any type of sparky motor look all that much better toooo...
Did you see the K 456 DM go up,, it was John B's X-15,,,, what a lift off.........

Teddy

Our LUNAR club recently updated the HP pads with heavy inverted "V" plates that split the exhaust. Makes for a spectacular sparky launch.

Did you see the K 456 DM go up,, it was John B's X-15,,,, what a lift off.........

54mm X-15 mmmmmmmm..... got photos?

And that video makes me look at the K1100T I've got loaded up and drool. Gonna put it in the 3" Darkstar. :)

54mm X-15 mmmmmmmm..... got photos?

And that video makes me look at the K1100T I've got loaded up and drool. Gonna put it in the 3" Darkstar. :)

Awww comon Dave,,,
Have a heart man,,,,lol
Coleman took a video,,, I didn't take any pic's....lol

That K 1100 T ------------------
That you saw bend that rail,,,,,
The rocket was 24.5 lbs as you see it lifting off.....
That's a lota uummfffff....

Teddy

Our LUNAR club recently updated the HP pads with heavy inverted "V" plates that split the exhaust. Makes for a spectacular sparky launch.

Hey,,
That's a great idea Kit,,,
You had somebody weld em up for ya ???

Teddy

DS is 11 pounds :) What alt you get out of it?

Could also nail the legs of the pad down with rebar.

I think 2400 or so,,, if I'm correct, Dave,, I could connect the Marsa and tell you for sure....
You do mean on the K 1100 T right ??? I got 3300 on the Loki K 960 W and 3600 on the K 828 FJ,,,, yes ,, that 828FJ ,,lol,, and next flight is 4000 on the K 700 W or 3600 or 3800 on the K 1275 R if the wind is pickin up any...
Not right or wrong,,, I like to move forward slowly and methodically,, I have the next few flights lined up,,, then LDRS.............

You're right about you could nail the pad down,,
But I think your better off removing what's pushing it sideways rather then making it better able to withstand the push.....

Better to fix the problem then put a band-aid on it...

Teddy

I think 2400 or so,,, if I'm correct, Dave,, I could connect the Marsa and tell you for sure....
You do mean on the K 1100 T right ??? I got 3300 on the Loki K 960 W and 3600 on the K 828 FJ,,,, yes ,, that 828FJ ,,lol,, and next flight is 4000 on the K 700 W or 3600 or 3800 on the K 1275 R if the wind is pickin up any...
Not right or wrong,,, I like to move forward slowly and methodically,, I have the next few flights lined up,,, then LDRS.............

You're right about you could nail the pad down,,
But I think your better off removing what's pushing it sideways rather then making it better able to withstand the push.....

Better to fix the problem then put a band-aid on it...

Teddy

Speaking of LDRS, Teddy you need to convince Coleman to film at LDRS34. I have the stills covered between Dave and a member of our club whose wife attends the launches and she also takes great shots, but the videos from the cell phones never look that good, at least mine don't.

Speaking of LDRS, Teddy you need to convince Coleman to film at LDRS34. I have the stills covered between Dave and a member of our club whose wife attends the launches and she also takes great shots, but the videos from the cell phones never look that good, at least mine don't.

I'm going to forward this to Coleman right now....

Thank you Michael...

Teddy

As of now I plan on going. I will have a couple projects I'll be focusing on, but I can at the very least have the GoPro set up as with the remote all I have to do is press a button to turn it on before every countdown to record video. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get some video from the flight line as well, it really depends on how many flights I decide on trying to get it. It may end up being only 1 or 2, in which case I should have plenty of time to take videos.

Back