Tree recovery equipment - fiberglass poles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samb

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know there are many methods used to combat the voracious rocket eating tree but I would like to focus on telescoping fiberglass poles. Like this:

pole.gif

https://www.geodatasys.com/pole7.htm

Anybody have any experience with these ? Anyone have another source for something better (and/or cheaper) than the one I posted ? This would be a club investment, possibly using some NAR Safety Grant money.

Last edited:
My RC club has one. We were able to get an old one from Gulf Power. Check with your electric utility, you may be able to get a condemned one for free.

I agree. At the High School I mentored TARC with last year, the teacher had a De-Rated one from the electric company. It mechanically was good, but no longer considered safe for use on electrical equipment. If I remember correctly, it went about 25'.

My only concern with these, is if someone says "it's for electrical use, and it's the same thing the power company will use if I call them, so I'll just avoid the bill and get it out of the power lines myself". So if you get one, please do NOT use it for electrical use or let someone else do so.

But they work great, though they are heavy. Good tool to have and I recommend them.

Last edited:
I'm liking this idea of company surplus. De-rated sounds a little better than condemned :) . I imagine that the local cable/telecom installers might be a possible source for these as well. Thanks

Thanks for the warning CZ. Nobody will use this for powerline retrieval on my watch.

I've been tempted to use an Alaskan butterknife on more than one occasion... I haven't though (yet).

chainsaw2.jpg

K'Tesh you crazy Klingon, that don't look like no telescoping fiberglass pole to me ! :rolleyes: :bangpan: :wink:

why go to the bother of making a tree trimmer when you can buy one that is lighter and easier to use? my neighbor has one complete with telescoping FG pole :).

The one the OP posted a link to said it has very little latteral stregnth..
I've been looking at thes 2 poles but they are really expensive..

https://allflagscom.mybigcommerce.com/extension-pole-640pro/

https://www.geodatasys.com/pole3.htm#notes

The 2nd one seems better but is just crazy money..

You just gave me a fantastic idea about going to the local utility company and asking them.........
I have one close to me on Englishtown Road..........

Ima go talk to somebody........
Tank you.....

Teddy

I know there are many methods used to combat the voracious rocket eating tree but I would like to focus on telescoping fiberglass poles. Like this:

View attachment 252484

https://www.geodatasys.com/pole7.htm

Anybody have any experience with these ? Anyone have another source for something better (and/or cheaper) than the one I posted ? This would be a club investment, possibly using some NAR Safety Grant money.

If your getting NAR grant money then the geodatasys poles are the best way to go. Our club as one of the 40foots which require two people for anything higher then about 30feet. and THEY MEAN It! Two people required, it is also a very good Idea to purchase several of the hooks as they take a beating get broken and/or lost.
We've had ours in service for about 4 years now, it's one of the very best tree retrievel tools you'll find.
As others have mentioned Check with your local fire Departments, sometimes they can help with used or out-of-Service units.

One more cautionary note: DO NOT use your bare fingers to push the retractor buttons on these fiberglass poles, Much better to use a stick or rock as it will Bit you good without any notice. Love the Pole but Be Aware of the finger bitters.

For recoveries from Trees in the 30-35foot range I've used my 24foot 3 section Paint Roller extension pole with a 3' x1/4" stainless rod hook for about 25years. Over all length is about 27ft, Works great and has a Fibreglass covered bottom section, Still don't like using it around power lines but can if used with care.

Last line is actually a Fishing Line. Actually braided 130lb kevlar fishing line with an attached 12" double Hook bungie cord. I've used this recovery device on many occasions where the poles just will not reach. Takes a few tries some times but have saved a few scale models from 50-60foot trees this way:)

Attachments

• Narhams System-1a_40ft Tree Retrival Pole_08-16-14.jpg
    Narhams System-1a_40ft Tree Retrival Pole_08-16-14.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
SEVRA has a 40footer and a 20footer. The 40 gets real heavy real quick and takes a little longer to get accustomed. I think we got both from the power company - one of our members works for 'em.

Get swimming pool pole comercial length. You could link 2 together. You should not be getting anything out of a tree if power could be a factor. These poles should be 60 to 100 dollars each, any type of hook needed can be clipped or bolted to end.

we moded a snow roofing shovel.. took the shovel off and added a hook.

Get swimming pool pole comercial length. You could link 2 together. You should not be getting anything out of a tree if power could be a factor. These poles should be 60 to 100 dollars each, any type of hook needed can be clipped or bolted to end.

+1. A few old swimming pool poles, some 1'' EMT tubing, and some coupler material and I managed to make a 45' pole that you can put up by hand, and a 65' version that requires a pulley attached partway up to get it vertical. Worked like a charm to get my Black Hawk 38 that was stuck 50+ feet up a tree.

These are pretty common around these parts, you can usually find one in nearly any back yard...

9fa39697-dd95-474e-b323-100e0d356ebf_1000.jpg

a86adc096d469a1dd7669ea4cb0627796832dcb7.jpg

Back