Calling Scottish Rocketeers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyNoir

Reaction score
My wife and I are contemplating a trip to Scotland the weeks of June 22 and 29. I'd be interested in connecting with any Scotish rocketeers for a pint (or two) and dinner to exchange rocket lies, I mean stories.

Any interest?

My wife and I are contemplating a trip to Scotland the weeks of June 22 and 29. I'd be interested in connecting with any Scotish rocketeers for a pint (or two) and dinner to exchange rocket lies, I mean stories.

Any interest?
Welcome to Scotland, in advance!

Hopefully SARA (Scottish Aeronautic and Rocketry Association) will have a flying session on Saturday 27th June. If so, you're welcome to join us. :) Otherwise, where are you planning on going during that week?

I know that there's a few people who enjoy rocketry in Scotland (Thanks to James May).

[video=youtube;DyMw7DdlESs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMw7DdlESs[/video]

Watch and find out if Action Man makes to Mach... Will Sindy survive or is she a "Gone Girl"? Watch and find out!

Welcome to Scotland, in advance!

Hopefully SARA (Scottish Aeronautic and Rocketry Association) will have a flying session on Saturday 27th June. If so, you're welcome to join us. :) Otherwise, where are you planning on going during that week?

Plans still in flux at the moment. We're reading up on guidebooks and such to see how we'd want to tour around. Historically, we find a spot, camp out for 2-7 days and do stuff in the immediate area. We'll probably start in Edinburgh and go from there.

Where are you guys located? A launch would be a hoot!

Watch and find out if Action Man makes to Mach... Will Sindy survive or is she a "Gone Girl"? Watch and find out!
49:19: "After 3 days of looking, they hadn't found her."
This is untrue. Sindy was recovered 2 days after launch. I was there when they brought her back.

197sindy_found_small.jpg

Sindy was subsequently offered part of a celebratory cake:

233sindy_cake_small.jpg

However, she declined. She has to watch her figure as she's a model. :D

The above activities took place during International Rocket Week, which takes place each year in Scotland at the end of August. It's a pity that the original post mentions a visit during June rather than August, but anyone who wants to visit us in August would be welcome to join in!

Last edited:
Plans still in flux at the moment. We're reading up on guidebooks and such to see how we'd want to tour around. Historically, we find a spot, camp out for 2-7 days and do stuff in the immediate area. We'll probably start in Edinburgh and go from there.

Where are you guys located? A launch would be a hoot!
Launching happens on the west coast near the little town of Fairlie, which in turn is near the larger town of Largs. But I live in Edinburgh... Where, incidentally, there's a campsite at Mortonhall:
https://www.meadowhead.co.uk/MortonhallHome.aspx

This is untrue. Sindy was recovered 2 days after launch. I was there when they brought her back.

View attachment 252481

View attachment 252482

The above activities took place during International Rocket Week, which takes place each year in Scotland at the end of August. It's a pity that the original post mentions a visit during June rather than August, but anyone who wants to visit us in August would be welcome to join in!

Gee... Thanks for the Spoiler! :wink:

Too bad James et al, didn't finish with this. That cake photo is classic! I especially like being able to read what's written on Sindy's rocket. I couldn't read the "Supersonic" in the video. Nice Touch!

Last edited:
Launching happens on the west coast near the little town of Fairlie, which in turn is near the larger town of Largs.

Well Largs looks interesting from my armchair Internet traveller perspective. I like the international flavor we get here from time to time.

View attachment 252481

View attachment 252482

Sing me a song of a lass that is gone
Say, could that Sindy fly?
Merry of soul, she launched on a day
Up in the sky to Skye

Sing me a song of a lass that is gone
Say, could that Sindy fly?
Merry of soul, she launched on a day
Up in the sky to Skye
If she'd gone anywhere near Skye, Sindy would most certainly have been lost! Arran is somewhat closer but still well out of range.

Contrary to reports in the media, Action Man and Sindy were friends. Here they are together:
038sindy_ejection2a_small.jpg

However, when he tried to get too close, Sindy escaped:
039sindy_ejection2_out_small.jpg

If she'd gone anywhere near Skye, Sindy would most certainly have been lost! Arran is somewhat closer but still well out of range.

Contrary to reports in the media, Action Man and Sindy were friends. Here they are together:
View attachment 252607

However, when he tried to get too close, Sindy escaped:
View attachment 252608

I guess Action Man isn't getting any action.

Good thing she didn't land in Argentina or Alabama because James May could not have recovered her at either of those locations.

I wonder what the cost differential was between the Sindy model rocket and the Action Man amateur rocket. Action Man must have been working for ESA.

Speed Sindy doll like a bird on the wing
Onward the rockets fly
Carry the lass that's born to go zing
Up in the deep blue sky

Speed Sindy doll like a bird on the wing
Onward the rockets fly
Carry the lass that's born to go zing
Up in the deep blue sky
Oh, I like that! At least one of the guys responsible for Supersonic Sindy probably will as well, and as I know he's active on this forum, I've just sent him an e-mail link to that post.

Latest posts

Back