MDRA 2015 Annual Christmas Tree Launch Photos!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I created an album of 60 pictures from the January 17, 2015 MDRA annual Christmas Tree launch. Unfortunately, there weren't a whole lot of Christmas trees launched while I was there. But I got some great pics of lots of rockets. Be sure to check out the half-scale Patriot on a sparky.

BTW, if you are reading this and want to claim your rocket, let me know the pictures number(s) and I will name you in the caption(s).

Alos, the pictures didn't upload in order, so they look kind of misplaced at times. Does anyone know how to change the order of pictures in an album?

Can you please post the URL of this gallery?

JD

I created an album of 60 pictures from the January 17, 2015 MDRA annual Christmas Tree launch. Unfortunately, there weren't a whole lot of Christmas trees launched while I was there. But I got some great pics of lots of rockets. Be sure to check out the half-scale Patriot on a sparky.

BTW, if you are reading this and want to claim your rocket, let me know the pictures number(s) and I will name you in the caption(s).

Also, the pictures didn't upload in order, so they look kind of misplaced at times. Does anyone know how to change the order of pictures in an album?

Thanks for uploading the photos! Those are some great shots.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/album.php?albumid=636&attachmentid=252160

That one is my 4" Vindicator on a LOKI K527 LOKI red.

Side note: I haven't found this rocket after the launch. I saw it coming down to the east without the main chute deployed (i think the chute wasn't out). It looked to be on the Higgs property. If anyone has seen it any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Those links both say I do not have permission to view........
Ohhh mannnnn...

Teddy

Danget teddy... you done messed up boy. :p I had no problems viewing the file. :) I'll post it here in a sec.

Here's one of them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you Neil.....
Man,, is that nuts....
Talk about a math query....
How much impulse does it take to get a 6 ft Christmas tree a hundred ft in the air.........lol......
In 2.5 seconds ...lol...

Teddy

Balsam or Douglas Fir.....:)

The best I can tell it is all Kentucky Windage......try and get the CG right, as best you can for a tree and give it enough power to go somewhere, hopefully up. Typically most of the tress just spin in circles right above the pad. to actually get them to fly take a little more doing. The good news is once the motor burns out the tree doesn't fly very far and drops right out of the sky......

My tree weighed 11.5 pounds and flew on a K-940........your mileage may vary........:)

Neil

The true definition of a rocket geek is someone who spends $150 on a motor to launch a $80 tree in the air for a few seconds... and considers it to be money well spent. :p

Balsam or Douglas Fir.....:)

The best I can tell it is all Kentucky Windage......try and get the CG right, as best you can for a tree and give it enough power to go somewhere, hopefully up. Typically most of the tress just spin in circles right above the pad. to actually get them to fly take a little more doing. The good news is once the motor burns out the tree doesn't fly very far and drops right out of the sky......

My tree weighed 11.5 pounds and flew on a K-940........your mileage may vary........:)

Neil

Hey Neil,,,
May I assume the drag coefficient is kinda high on those airframes....lol...

Teddy

Thanks also for the pictures ! My Mundane Noodle (named for a curse word from "The Old Man" in A Christmas Story) on an Aerotech J-250FJ can be seen in IMG0703, 0708, 0709, 0710, and 0711. Next year I may have to move up to "Neil Power" !

Here are a few pics from the launch that I took:

3littleTrees.jpg

2stageair1.jpg

AndyCECAir2.jpg

CoppertoneK.jpg

My Onyx2XLP last flight 5,385 ft via G-Wiz
main never deployed :(
JDOnyxK1159Blu.jpg

JD

Thanks for uploading the photos! Those are some great shots.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/album.php?albumid=636&attachmentid=252160

That one is my 4" Vindicator on a LOKI K527 LOKI red.

Side note: I haven't found this rocket after the launch. I saw it coming down to the east without the main chute deployed (i think the chute wasn't out). It looked to be on the Higgs property. If anyone has seen it any help finding it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

I put this info in the caption.

Thanks also for the pictures ! My Mundane Noodle (named for a curse word from "The Old Man" in A Christmas Story) on an Aerotech J-250FJ can be seen in IMG0703, 0708, 0709, 0710, and 0711. Next year I may have to move up to "Neil Power" !

You're in the captions. Thanks.

Wow is that a cool shot John,,,
Man am I pissed I didn't go...
And you guy's are just rubbing it in,,,lol
Looks like everybody had a wonderful time...
Good for you guy's ...

Teddy

Wow is that a cool shot John,,,
Man am I pissed I didn't go...
And you guy's are just rubbing it in,,,lol
Looks like everybody had a wonderful time...
Good for you guy's ...

Teddy

I looked for you, man! I even had my X-Celerator booster there so we could talk recovery. That'll teach you to stay home!

Seriously, though, it was a great day on Saturday. As long as you were well-dressed, it was clear, calm and perfect. Unfortunately, I lost my Sumo in that little clump of trees ("Sullivan's Woods"), so bye-bye to my L1 cert rocket, not to mention the 29mm 5G casing and closure that were in it, and a brand new, maiden parachute.

OOOOOchhh..
That hurts,,,
No way to go find it...
I am sorry for that one John..

Teddy

I found it, but it was about fifty feet up in a small tree. It hung there all day, laughing at me. Maybe it will be on the ground next month.

That's no joke,,
I'm sorry John,,
Bring a semi light spinning rod with you next month,,,
one that you're really accurate casting with....
Get It...

Teddy

And you missed this Ted:

View attachment 252401

Mannn
I know that bad boy for sure Dave.....
Go ahead,, why don't you rub it in a little...lol..
Go have fun at poor old me's expense...lol
Man are you guys full of cheap shots...lol
When's the next MDRA launch--- 3rd weekend in Feb...

Teddy

Back