Stuck Coupler

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevian

Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

I purchased the Level 2 as it seems it was a good rocket and had a great motor variety vs. altitude.

Anyway, unboxed it and the coupler is stuck in the upper body tube. Just finished washing everything and even did cold then hot water to try to expand it a bit to knock the coupler out with a dowelrod and mallet. No dice, any ideas?

20150118_193052.jpg

I had my FG coupler stuck it my FG nose cone. I used a large screw driver. I held it inside the nose cone and slid it aft to knock the coupler out of the nose cone. I didn't use the blade, but the handle. The forward face of the screwdriver handle made a really good piece to drive the coupler out with. It also gives you a good piece to grab on to to drive it out with.

Good luck

odds are that you are trying to drive it the wrong direction, try driving it the opposite direction from which you were trying.
Rex

That was a great idea, wonder why the search didn't bring that up (LOL). I gave it a shot, didn't budge and I was putting my full weight (195lbs) onto and I am a powerlifter so strength is not an issue.

odds are that you are trying to drive it the wrong direction, try driving it the opposite direction from which you were trying.
Rex

Gave it a shot both ways, not budging. Maybe try seaming the edges with vaseline or something similar? I'll have to go to the store tomorrow to get some.

That was a great idea, wonder why the search didn't bring that up (LOL). I gave it a shot, didn't budge and I was putting my full weight (195lbs) onto and I am a powerlifter so strength is not an issue.

Gave it a shot both ways, not budging. Maybe try seaming the edges with vaseline or something similar? I'll have to go to the store tomorrow to get some.

You might want to hold off on using any petroleum based product on unsealed FG. At least until you talk to the more experienced forum builders. I have had the same problem however the method published worked for me, I also made sure I washed the FG as thoroughly as possible with dish soap then dried before I tried that method. My concern would be the oil seeping into the FG and causing expansion, delamination, bonding issues for paint, etc. But like I said this is based on logic and not experience, so you should seek play it safe and some advice.

Pushing on it won't due a thing. I always lay it flat on sturdy table or floor, use the BP as described and a pipe or wood dowel at least 1in.diameter, so it can't flex when whacked, and whack the heck out of it with a hammer or sledge. Sometimes easier if a second person holds tube in position or stands on it..[not on top of stuck coupler].... middle or other end. It's the shock of sudden impact that will get it out, just like an impact driver used to loosen stuck nuts on cars.
Sometimes use 2 BP's to prevent possible damage to just one.
I haven't met a coupler yet I couldn't get out.......and there were some nasty ones!

That is true about the oils...didn't think about what that could have done. I'll keep trying! I might try to get a bigger piece PVC as the smaller dowel rod may not be transferring enough energy through to get this lil' pain out. Thanks guys!

Back