OK, Finger Lakes locals: Let's talk wine!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't come to the Finger Lakes without coming home with some kickass Riesling. I like the dryer stuff, on the Kabinett end of the scale. Got any recommendations? Thanks!

I am about as far from local but......
My wife and some other girls went to Swedish Hill Winery. They were very nice, not a lot of visitors and got the full tour

Dr Franks. WELL worth the trip (not terribly far from the field) for a tasting. Dr Franks tastings are free, educational, and you'll taste more than the usual 4 wines for $5...

We love the Dry Riesling... also a Chardonnay Reserve that is fantastic...

in addition to Reislings there are others worth a taste... Rkatsiteli, Gruner Veltliner, Gewürztraminer....

N

It's been almost 27 years since I lived in Western New York and made regular visits to the Finger Lakes. Harvest time in the fall is the best with all the pressing going on and roadside stands selling fresh grapes.

Because of shipping laws, I haven't been able to keep up on what's happening there. That's okay; there is a great vineyard just a few miles away from me on the NH state line so I have a good supply.

I find it upsetting that the Finger Lakes wines don't get marketed too far outside their area. Enjoy your trip and exploring.

I understand that MA recently (like Jan 1) changed that law, so you may be able to acquire some more NY wines.

From what I've read, each individual winery must apply to ship into whatever state. That could keep some from going through the expense.
When I get back out that way, I'll have to find some who are willing.

Back