How Many Here Modify Estes Engine Hooks?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you modify your Estes kit's engine hook?

• Always

• Usually

• Occasionally

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious...

How many here modify Estes engine hooks to remove the finger tab? Why do you or don't you do it? If you do, do you do it every time, or only occasionally?

Me, I usually ~90% remove the extra with a cut from some pliers and some flexing. Then I put the rough edge inside the body tube to reduce the chance I'll be injured removing a motor. For me it's usually about the rocket being able to sit on its tail w/o rocking on that point. Other times, I do it for period accuracy (I like cloning older kits), I don't do it for weight reduction.

Thanks!
Jim

Last edited:
odd that you bring this up. noticed the other day that my Cherokee had modded it's hook on the last flight/landing. the extra bit is now folded back on itself :).
Rex

We use clothespins clipped to the rod to keep the rocket off the blast deflector. After having several Estes hooks catch the pin and prevent liftoff, I started whacking them off.

edit: added photo

CaughtOnRod.jpg

Last edited:
I've never modified mine, except when converting something to MD, in which case it obviously has to go. I once had a rocket with an engine hook come down hardish on pavement, but the engine hook took the hit and saved the fins, acting, like said above, as a shock absorber. After losing a 24/40 casing after it ejected at apogee, I now always put a wrap or two of gorilla tape around the engine hook to help hold it in place.

Nate

Here's why I don't use engine hooks. All three motors exited the rocket at deployment. Heat? Who knows. I was fortunate that I got my upscaled Aston Cobra back via chute. The motor mount had to be replaced.

DSCF3542.jpg

I don't actually remove the finger tabs. I just turn it around and install the engine hook with the finger tab at the forward end.

I don't actually remove the finger tabs. I just turn it around and install the engine hook with the finger tab at the forward end.

Exactly what I do. By using this method in combination with an engine block results in a hook that is clean looking, and in combination with the 'tabbed' part being hooked around the engine block, minimizes the chance of the hook sliding out of position in either direction.

FC

I prefer to cut the 'hang on the launch pad' tab with a Dremel cutoff wheel. The tab on the mini hooks gets in the way of the motor exhaust. I liked the old design much better.

I rather like them, find them convenient and haven't had a problem with them. In fact, some of my homemade ones are very similar.

Just curious...

How many here modify Estes engine hooks to remove the finger tab? Why do you or don't you do it? If you do, do you do it every time, or only occasionally?

Me, I usually ~90% remove the extra. For me it's usually about the rocket being able to sit on its tail w/o rocking on that point. Other times, I do it for period accuracy (I like cloning older kits), I don't do it for weight reduction.

Thanks!
Jim

100% of the time Jim:
The finger tab extension is really aimed at younger & first time builders who have trouble with the old standard hooks. Since I'm neither I always cut off and round the supplied hooks.

I will occasionally modify both ends by snipping off the finger tab and bending the forward tab up.
Usually I'll do this on heavier rockets like the Estes Xarconian Cruiser to fit 18mm D reloads.

Oh, ok... I misunderstood the question. Answered "occasionally" when I should have answered "always". I HATE those stupid extra long thumb-unlocking Estes "tabbed" motor hooks. First thing I do when I build a kit with them in there is grab the linesmen pliers and cut the tab off, making it like a regular motor hook.

Years ago I bought a fistful of Semroc 'regular' motor hooks in various sizes, and that coupled with a collection of wiper blade refill stainless steel strips ensures I can make any motor hook I'd ever want or need for a long time to come. That, and the "quick snip" treatment to the existing Estes hooks.

Those things are just a convenience to newbs and kids...

Later! OL JR :)

I stopped using them altogether, friction fit everything.

I bend the finger hook back. When I help out at Scout launches, they invariably have "T" rockets, where the motor hook impinges on the nozzle; I clip them off with dikes. A3's burn long enough that the thrust will go sideways, sending the rocket on interesting flight paths.

Back