Share your R/G or B/G conversions from non-rocketry related models or toys

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been too quiet in here and wanted to stir things up a little bit.

There are any number of flying toys or flying model kits or ARFs that people have converted from their original non-rocketry related originals into R/Gs or B/Gs.

Does not matter if it is R/C or free flight.

Does not matter if it is out of production or still around.

Feel free to post links to your conversion or construction threads, if you have one.

Some of my favorites are as follows:

1. The venerable Guillows foam Space Shuttle: lots of people have converted this, both free flight and R/C. I recently assembled two free flight versions and two more R/c versions. for the upcoming flyng season.

2. Back in the 1990s, there was a nice little very light weight molded depron/EPS foam sheet F-117 that was about 8" long. Have not seen them for years, but they made a killer parasite B/G as a singleton or as a pair on a BT20 or 50 booster and A and B motors. C motors were a little much for the thin depron wing. These only weighed a very few grams ready to fly. I still have one or two stashed away.

3. The Hobby King R/C Me-163 ARF foam model. comes with a an electric motor and prop on the nose. The rear end is perfect for an 18mm motor tube. Great fun to air start the rocket during a fly by.

Upcoming coversions:

1. I found a neat little profile free flight glider of the Boeing Sonic Cruiser at a LHS. It will be a parasite glider soon. Need to find the package and post a link.

2. I have a well worn but still flyable Robbe Concorde (foam ARF R/C model from circa 2003-2005) that will be converted into a F/G class R/C boost glider after the twin electric pusher motors are dismounted.

3. Still shopping around for a decent but not expensive R/C discus launch glider to convert into an R/C RG. I know a number have been converted by a number of modelers.

What have you got along these lines, past, present or planned for the future?

Last edited:
Robarts UFO Foam Gliders, and F117 Foam Glider. F117 converted to R/C If I only knew how to fly R/C, no picture of the F117

ldrs25_7-2-06 ral_img_5581.jpg

ldrs25_7-2-06 ral_img_5585.jpg

ldrs25_7-2-06 ral_img_5590.jpg

The old Robart F-117, F-16 and UFO gliders were fun. I have stashed back one of the UFOs, but have never gotten around to converting it.

A shame they are not still available.

Hobby King does have some cool little free flight molded foam jets that are not badly priced: F-16, F-22 and F-18. I have been meaning to get some of these to try as parasite gliders. the F-16 is about 12 or 13 inches in span.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55047__HobbyKing_X16_Jet_EPO_Chuck_Glider.html

they are about 6-7 bucks from the HK USA west warehouse and shipping is about 7 bucks for one or two kits, so I will buy at least two.

Hobby King and some of the other ARF importers has some tiny foam scale EDF models for 35 and 40mm fans that could be converted to Free flight. They are not as available as they were a couple of years ago and cost a good bit more than the Robart gliders, as well.

Parasite EDF models with R/C does sound fun, though....:)

Last edited:
The old Robart F-117, F-16 and UFO gliders were fun. I have stashed back one of the UFOs, but have never gotten around to converting it.

A shame they are not still available.

The UFO came back for a while, from Guillow, as the X-Racer But those too are also OOP, and Hard to find.

3. Still shopping around for a decent but not expensive R/C discus launch glider to convert into an R/C RG. I know a number have been converted by a number of modelers.

I have been shopping for an inexpensive Discus Glider just to use as a discus glider and there are not many "inexpensive" options out there!
This looks like it might be a good conversion if you are looking for a 1.5m wingspan: https://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto...omposite_DLG_Glider_Airplane_1550mm_ARF_.html
Here is another hand launch one that looks promising: https://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto..._V_Tail_Glider_Built_up_Wing_1140mm_ARF_.html

Sadly I missed out on the R2 hobbies 50% off sale - they have some cheap DLG and HLG that would be good to experiment with RCG but sadly all of the obvious conversions are out of stock.

I am sure that you're trolling the RCG classifieds but man DLG makes rockets look cheap, even used. Good luck!

Tom,
Do you have any suggestions for repairing a damaged nose for the Hobby Lab SR-71? I'm attaching some photos of the damage that I sustained in September of last year. I have plenty of 6 mm Depron.

IMG_2791.jpg IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2793.jpg

Back