Wildman Interceptor AAD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyrocket

Reaction score
Got the Interceptor from Wildmans during the Black Saturday Sale. I am close to getting this put together. I do have one question for anyone who has built one. I just put a rocksim together for the rocket and it shows unstable with a small 38mm motor. Is nose weight needed for this? Not sure if it is the split fine design causing problems or not. Anyone know where the CP should be? My file shows the CP right at the top of the fins. Am I way off? Seems about right just by my "calibrated" eye. Thanks.

Find a sim file for this and Upscale it.

That should give you more definitive results. If I remember, I had to add some nose weight to my Estes version. So i would not be surprised to see this needs some.
Use the old fashioned method....balance the finished model & see how many calipers CG is in front of CP, then add what needed to make it stable.

I'm going with this paint on my Interceptor AaD-54 , when I get around to the build.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 6.30.38 PM.png

Last edited:
BSS sale....see below:

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 7.25.01 PM.png

How'd you miss that one Gary?

Especially looking forward to building the 4in Xtreme version!

I looks pretty close to the pic in post above......

I just saw Tim today and picked up the SAAB. Yes the 4" AAD would be nice. Very windy at the Bong today not much flying. It was a good day to pick up BSS items and talk to the guys.

OK. I wish I knew that before I put the bulkhead plate in the nose cone. I guess that's why they make drills?

Why would you ask...AFTER ..you buttoned it up? LOL.....
Little late then, well you can always unscrew the tip and fill it up.:flying pig:

Heck who knows..... might not need any, you'll find out when you balance it.

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking. Most of the Wildman kits don't need weight. Just got ahead of myself.

Unlike the other nose cones with the metal tip, this one does not have removable tip. Oh well. That would have made things a little easier. Do you know if this kit was prototyped at all for flying? Just curious. Probably not since it seems like you do most of the checkouts of the new kits.

I was just pulling your leg about unscrewing the tip....LOL I know there isn't any.

Well Tim did a bucket load of new kits for BSS 12-14?? I only built the V-2 Sport, Punisher 3, EagleClaw Sport & did those all in a week.[they all fly fine]
He spread out the building of the proto's....I don't know who got to do the Interceptor or if it's flown.
But based on the rocket it is similar to, I suspect it might need a bit since it is a scale kit and the other one needs bit.
You can add big quick links to the NC eyebolt till you figure how much is needed, then weigh them and add that to the NC, by drilling a 1/4 hole, BB's, epoxy.

The Interceptor Jr. has flown on a J2..something. It had zero nose weight but it was the proto version and was built with the original heavier tubing and heavier nose cone. Like C/J said, best thing to do is check your C/G and compare that to a sim.

Why would you glue the bulkhead into the nosecone? It is potentially useful space for trackers and nose weight. Makes very little sense to me.

well, I do not have a tracker and I got it as a smaller rocket to fly at my in-laws house in Va. I can go to about 1000 feet without any problems. Normally I do not put bulkheads in, but just did this time. Based on my sim, about 4 - 6 oz should be good to keep it stable with the largest that I might fly.

Yes, that is one way to do it. Since it looks like I need to cut a hole in the NC bulkhead, I could make an adjustable weight system with threaded rod. Still thinking the best and easiest way at this point.

Back