Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat, or maybe charge a tourist

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
I doubt his name was Bullwinkle, but it could have been. I used a 24-105mm lens at the 105 setting, so he was pretty close to me when he popped out of the woods.

This all started when we had been watching a very calm female that had ambled down the walking path and then laid down about 25 feet from us. We got some great photos of her when we started hearing this chuffing sound from the woods. The trees and brush were too dense for us to investigate, so we just waited. After a few minutes two more people came down the trail. My wife went and told them about the moose so they wouldn't spook them. They approached quietly, but our friendly cow got spooked by more people and she got up and moved away from the trail. She laid down behind a tree 30 feet away and essentially disappeared from view. Hard to believe a 1,000 pound animal can be a mere 30 feet away behind a small tree and be nearly invisible.

After a few more minutes a second cow pops out of the woods and then disappears again, but we still hear the chuffing sounds. Now I'm convinced there is a bull around, but I'm not heading off into the brush with an amorous bull in the vicinity. Finally, we see Mr. Moose and he's stunning. He walks by a gap in the trees and I get this photo and a few more, but he quickly disappears again. I have a good idea where he is, but he can move quickly and quietly through the brush, while I move slowly and noisily. I am staying put.

However, the other guy has no such reservations. He heads off into the brush and comes back a few minutes later and says that the bull is just through the trees. Sorry, I'm not going anywhere where I can't move fast when I am surrounded by three large moose. The other guy decides to go talk to his wife. About 5 minutes later the second cow comes running through the trees about 180 degrees from where we thought she was. Mr. Moose is about three seconds behind her. I back off quickly as who knows what this guy might do. He might think we are attacking him, his lady friend or even be a competitor for her affections. By this time my wife and I had taken over 80 photos of these three moose and we decided it was time to leave. The other couple stayed and the guy actually went into the trees after the bull again. He was certain that the bull would ignore him as he was "interested in other things". I thought good luck buddy.

IMG_8774.jpg

WWWooowwww....
How beautiful is that ...........
He's gorgeous.....
That's a big boy,,,
You are very lucky to have had this opportunity...
I love close encounters with whitetail deer....
I would love to see a moose in the wild,, no less that close...

Good for you...
Very cool...

Teddy

Reminds me of the time was walking in wildlife refuge when the group suddenly came upon a large group of rattler's [den in tree roots surrounding the trunk] 8 that I immediately saw. They were all coiled &rattling very loudly, which is the warning "don't come any closer". They generally will not bother you, if you leave them alone. Rattling is their warning to do so.

Most all stopped dead in their tracks and began the customary slow retreat in reverse......except one....she headed in closer to "pet" one. I ran after the idiot, grabbed her by the belt and snatched her back as she was bending over to pet one.
I was rewarded not by a thank you,[ as the group was explaining what would have happened as a certainty] but by getting a slap in the face for touching her. Bitching the entire rest of the walk about how I handled the incident instead of thanking me for saving her life.

One of the other members of the group who knew her, told me later. "You would have done everybody that know her a favor, if you just let her die that horrible writhing death....I could have caught in on my phone and You Tubed it. Her husband probably would pay you a reward."

Go figure.... as they say down here "t'ain't no fix'n stoooopid"

I forgot to mention that this photo was taken at Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.

I forgot to mention that this photo was taken at Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia.

WHAT...........
Hey fella,,,,
Dats a pretty important part to forget about....lol...
I tought it was in OHIO..............
I was in Maine just a couple of years ago,,,
Moose watching,,,,
Ya know how many i saw.....
None....lol...

Still good for you...

Teddy

Great pic! Moose are definitely nothing to mess with casually! My understanding is they are more dangerous than bears.

Reminds me of the time was walking in wildlife refuge when the group suddenly came upon a large group of rattler's [den in tree roots surrounding the trunk] 8 that I immediately saw. They were all coiled &rattling very loudly, which is the warning "don't come any closer". They generally will not bother you, if you leave them alone. Rattling is their warning to do so.

Most all stopped dead in their tracks and began the customary slow retreat in reverse......except one....she headed in closer to "pet" one. I ran after the idiot, grabbed her by the belt and snatched her back as she was bending over to pet one.
I was rewarded not by a thank you,[ as the group was explaining what would have happened as a certainty] but by getting a slap in the face for touching her. Bitching the entire rest of the walk about how I handled the incident instead of thanking me for saving her life.

One of the other members of the group who knew her, told me later. "You would have done everybody that know her a favor, if you just let her die that horrible writhing death....I could have caught in on my phone and You Tubed it. Her husband probably would pay you a reward."

Go figure.... as they say down here "t'ain't no fix'n stoooopid"

She's probably pissed because you prevented her from winning a Darwin Award.

I'm sure she'll get a second chance at one.

Great pic! Moose are definitely nothing to mess with casually! My understanding is they are more dangerous than bears.

There is different kinds of Bear. around me anyways. Brown (Grizzley) Clear Hair (know as Polar) and Black. Though I've only seen 1 clear in my lifetime.
I would rather be attacked by any size moose than a bear anyday. They either will rare up and you can tip them, or they head down and lung.
No fang, no claws, no grasps to the ground. Just don't get hoofed or gored. Easy to do behind a tree.

There is different kinds of Bear. around me anyways. Brown (Grizzley) Clear Hair (know as Polar) and Black. Though I've only seen 1 clear in my lifetime.
I would rather be attacked by any size moose than a bear anyday. They either will rare up and you can tip them, or they head down and lung.
No fang, no claws, no grasps to the ground. Just don't get hoofed or gored. Easy to do behind a tree.

I wouldn't want to be attacked by any large animal, so picking and choosing which one I'd rather be attacked by is tough! I think the info I had was that moose are more likely to attack than bears are, not that a moose attack is worse than a bear attack. So maybe being attacked by a moose is better than attacked by a grizzly bear. If I'm going to be attacked by wildlife, I'd like it to be a butterfly.

I wouldn't want to be attacked by any large animal, so picking and choosing which one I'd rather be attacked by is tough! I think the info I had was that moose are more likely to attack than bears are, not that a moose attack is worse than a bear attack. So maybe being attacked by a moose is better than attacked by a grizzly bear. If I'm going to be attacked by wildlife, I'd like it to be a butterfly.

I'd rather be a an Iron Wood Stump!!!

Top,,
Are you far enough north,,,
are their any moose by you ??

Teddy

Plenty of Moose around in this neck of the Woods. I know better than to get to close, but I do get the honor of seeing them from time to time.
Deer I Spook everytime I go walking on my Logging Trails.:)

ETA: I have'nt seen a Moose in a few Years, but my Mom had a Mother and Calf that she took Pictures of in her back Yard last year, about a mile from my house.

Last edited:
Plenty of Moose around in this neck of the Woods. I know better than to get to close, but I do get the honor of seeing them from time to time.
Deer I Spook everytime I go walking on my Logging Trails.:)

ETA: I have'nt seen a Moose in a few Years, but my Mom had a Mother and Calf that she took Pictures of in her back Yard last year, about a mile from my house.

Man that's too cool...
I love white tail watchin,, just because they're so beautiful...
I found a new way to go home from the field in Great Meadows NJ that's a bit out of the way but late in the afternoon you just can't beat the whitetail watchin...
I recently saw the biggest buck I've ever seen up close and personal,, he was standing on the side of the road in broad daylight,,, I pulled over,, he couldn't care less...lol...
I think it'd super cool to live where you'd see moose every now and again...
I really miss bowhunting so much...
There's a young man in my club,,
you know him as "Rocket Hunter" on TRF..
He lives on a farm and bowhunts his own property.....
Oh man,, I'm so jealous....lol...

Teddy

Never had the opertunity to eat moose.
But Whitetail Heart is good for making fahita's. Lettuce, cheese, littlw A1, fried mushrooms n onions,mmmmm Think I'm gunna go poach one today.
And Whitetail burger in chilly is the best.
I was born 100 years too late.

Back