A positive thread on what people believe Estes should produce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have friends in Canada who can buy motors locally, but can't order those deals from Estes website.

I agree. Estes should allow Canadian orders on their website. Don't they realize that this would be great for the sport of rocketry all around?

A triple canted cluster PS II rocket for the new BP 29mm motors. As an added bonus, you get to sell three times as many motors!

Once upon a time you could purchase every part used in every Estes’ kit sold.

Just bring that back and I’d be satisfied.

I vote for that as it would solve many problems for hobbyists and answer the question too. If the parts and tubes, all sizes, were available those looking for the "golden oldies" could build anything ever produced without it being in kit form. Tubes shouldn't be that much of a problem but it would mean having all the special cones and bits available, particularly for the NASA rockets. No small task I'm sure.

Verna
www.vernarockets.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm

Last edited by a moderator:
C6-0/C6-7 combo bulk pack, 12 each.

Bulk packs of “D” motors. This would probably need to be limited to 12 motors or the price could get prohibitive.

Ditch the rubber band shock-cords.

Now for a word from “boomtube-mk2” with regards to Estes parachutes. While they are better than the ones from Quest, that isn’t saying much.

Cheap, fuzzy cotton string and shroud hole reinforcement stickers that don’t stick.
Basically Estes is supplying parachutes with their kits that in many cases go straight from the packaging straight to the trash can. The larger sizes seem to be better than the smaller ones but again, that isn’t saying much.

Supply me with decent parts and I’ll happily build them myself.

I finally got around to buying and building a Pro series kit (the Ventris) and I like the quality of the parts as well as the design. So, I would encourage Estes to expand into larger high power kits. In particular, I like many of the classic Estes designs and frequently upscale them. Often times finding a close match to the nose cone is difficult, if not impossible for some of the more elaborate designs. I'd like to see Estes offer up-scaled versions of nose cones and detail parts that fit *Standard Size Tubing*. My only concern is that Estes has chosen to introduce the higher quality tubing of the Pro Series in non-standard diameters. In addition, I'm a big fan of the new more complex designs being introduced, sometimes in very tiny sizes, so keep up the great design work. Lastly, as Estes moves into larger rockets bring larger sizes of the plastic motor retainers to market as well. Think about conversion to dual deploy when you design new rockets. As an example, I had to increase the length of the payload section on the Ventris to accommodate the main parachute. No big deal, but it would have been nice to have had another 3 or 4 inches of space there.

Include snap swivels in the higher skill level kits so that the builder can more easily swap out parachutes or streamers.

Round cross-section sewing elastic shock cords.

How about a night-flyer payload section? It would consist of a plastic nose cone, plastic payload tube, plastic nose block--so far, we're talking stuff that's already in the parts inventory--and a battery-powered lighting unit (white LEDs like you get in keychain flashlights) that fits into the payload tube--the only "new" part that you'd need to make. Offer them in all the popular body tube sizes: 20, 50, 55, 60, & 80.

I second the suggestion of a Cineroc-style digital video cam.

A BT-50 Sprite upscale would be kinda nice, too.

Here are my thoughts:
PNC bulk packs of one length/style per bag. And a variety per dia. Example: 2-PNC60RL or 4-PNC60NR or 4-PNC60BB(Baby Bertha) on down to PNC5.
More 2'' & larger kits to fall in-between the regular Estes line and the PSII.
Centering/Mmnt rings for the PSII line, singles and clusters. Bulkheads for the same. The 4'' can be purchased thru other vendors though. (BMS, Mercury Eng.)
A few more PSII PNC's - Upscale NC55AC, 55AO(DONE!), (55F, TC55-V2?) etc.. so we can scratch our favs, just BIGGER!
Maxi Brutes! Oh yeah, the above would cover this.
I can't see Estes getting into AP motors or electronics as both are well covered as is. The exception would be video products.
This repeats somewhat others have said but hey, that's what you asked for.
Great idea Cookie! Easily accessible premade LED lighting &/or Night rockets

Last edited:
Upscale.
I'd take the most popular 6 rockets (or wherever there's a distinct "knee" in the popularity curve) and do 4X versions.
Upscale Hornet #2030 please:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...scale-Estes-Hornet-2030&highlight=hornet+2030

attachment.php

Also, injection molded fin cans for MPR stuff. HPR fin cans are too much to ask for since Estes doesn't do HPR.

OK - my wish list

New sci fi / odd roc/ fantasy kits (like the Black Star Voyager, Asteroid Hunter, etc)
Bring back / upscale some old sci fi / odd roc/ fantasy kits (Mars Snooper, Trident, Orion Starfighter)
Parts - especially custom plastic & nose cones
The D12 bulkpack would be great
Digital camera

Shipping kits to other countries (not motors, just kits) would probably be well received by a lot of people (e.g. Canadians).

YES! USPS would be great, as it is the easiest and cheapest option on this side of the border.

Shipping kits to other countries (not motors, just kits) would probably be well received by a lot of people (e.g. Canadians).

Yes. That's true. I'm lucky enough to live close to the WA border. I can pick up packages shipped to a US address. I was able to take advantage of the PSII 2014 sale. It was well worth it. Canadians are often accustomed to paying shipping (USPS, not UPS) for items coming from America. Heck, I used to mail order my rockets directly from Estes back in the 70's.

I would like to see re-release of the 1:100 scale Saturn 1b. Also bring back the A3-6T motor for mini multi-stage models and featherweight flyers.

Can we get an RTF with a 3" hole so I can do a quick L3?

Let's face it.... his statement wasn't a challenge...it was a "screw off". We're not Estes market. Never going to be again. There are plenty of companies making kits we want, and are responsive to input. AAANNNND make stuff in the US.

Can we get an RTF with a 3" hole so I can do a quick L3?

Let's face it.... his statement wasn't a challenge...it was a "screw off".

I don't agree.

We may not be Estes' primary market any more, but they do still make a lot of kits that we buy. I think John listens to input, reads way more of the negative commentary on this forum than anybody gives him credit for, and possibly gets frustrated with a lot of the complaints that he simply can't respond to due to financial realities. Without Estes, this hobby is dead, period. No more new modelers. Nobody browsing in Michael's or Target, seeing an RTF kit, remembering how much fun they had, and buying one for their kid to get them started. He's looking for ways to make his product more interesting to a broader audience. I can't blame him.

For my part, I'd like it if the RTF/E2X kits weren't all pretty much the same 3FNC rocket with different decals. But maybe that's what's needed, when little Janie wants a pink one.

Let's face it.... his statement wasn't a challenge...it was a "screw off". We're not Estes market. Never going to be again.
There are plenty of companies making kits we want, and are responsive to input. AAANNNND make stuff in the US.

Sheesh! This wasn't a "screwoff!"
Mr. Boren would have never posted in the first place if Estes didn't care. Be glad he checks the forums.
People request repros and Estes brings out the "Classics" line with balsa fins and nose cones. They sell, but maybe not enough.
So they go on clearance.
People want mid power - Estes produces larger kits. The Nike Smoke and Big Red Max are great rockets.
They can't do it all.
I'm happy to see the upcoming Mercury Redstone re-release and Level 5 Odyssey.

Rockets with cameras, simple as that. Estes made this market, and I believe one of the offerings remains the biggest selling model of all time. And yet they haven't sold a camera rocket in many years now, despite the fact that the electronics are constantly getting better, smaller, lighter, cheaper.

To paraphrase a post up top, people are taping key fob cams to their Big Berthas, for crying out loud.

Could be higher quality still photos, a variable shot angle, digital video to flash memory, real time to ground monitor (as with the new Estes quad copter), or some combination.

Best would be a truly well thought out modular system, with photographic nosecones or payload assemblies that can be moved from one dedicated launch vehicle to another - single stage, multi-stage, PSII, boost glider (I'm serious) that are all marketed in an aerial photography series.

The really dedicated home rocket builder can cobble something like this together, sure. But an off the shelf Estes-branded dedicated rocket/camera system is something that will appeal to a much larger audience and should always be in the catalog, in one form or another, evolving along with available technology.

Last edited:
Sheesh! This wasn't a "screwoff!"
Mr. Boren would have never posted in the first place if Estes didn't care. Be glad he checks the forums.
People request repros and Estes brings out the "Classics" line with balsa fins and nose cones. They sell, but maybe not enough.
So they go on clearance.
People want mid power - Estes produces larger kits. The Nike Smoke and Big Red Max are great rockets.
They can't do it all.
I'm happy to see the upcoming Mercury Redstone re-release and Level 5 Odyssey.

I'm also glad to see level 4 and 5 kits. I agree they can't do everything, and shouldn't try. They should do what makes them money.

But to say "lets see if you can get 20 people to agree on the exact same thing, and not a B14, and not old kits, and something more than .1% of people will want" (paraphrased) Is saying "screw off" ( which after seeing people trash something I just worked on, I dont blame him. but it's still a screw off)

Last edited:
The B-14 is not going to happen (Do you want to hand-drill those BP grains?).
What I WOULD like to see is a 24 mm B motor. Make this sucker 1.75 inches long, like the old "S" motors. this should come out to a B-10 or B-11. would be great for low altitude heavy-lift situations, not to mention great for staging options.
What a great idea! A set of Short B10-0, 2, 4, 6 motors. Also the return of the A3-2T and an upper-stage A3-5T, and B4-6. More Bulk motor packs, D's, E's and even BP F's. Heavier wall BT20 and BT50's. Upscale versions of the Mars Snooper and original Trident. Finally USPS shipping to Canada. You used to do it, and all your competitors do it, it would likely have little effect on your distribution model into Canada as the number of us adult enthusiasts is a fraction of the business through the local hobby stores. Mom and Dad's will still purchase those Starter kits and individual kit/motor packs at the local retailers, but direct mail allows us to participate in all products and deals that currently only our American cousins enjoy.

Garth Illerbrun
CAR S-4
NAR 26894

I'm also glad to see level 4 and 5 kits. I agree they can't do everything, and shouldn't try. They should do what makes them money.

But to say "lets see if you can get 20 people to agree on the exact same thing, and not a B14, and not old kits, and something more than .1% of people will want" (paraphrased) Is saying "screw off" ( which after seeing people trash something I just worked on, I dont blame him. but it's still a screw off)

No, it is not.

No, it is not.

sure it is. People thrashed the new catalog. He points out the obvious that all the stuff people constantly ask for and complain about aren't sellers, mentions a few of the usual requests from here. A thread is started to meet the impossible challenge of getting good advice. Thread fills with requests for new motors, old motors,ind parts (which can't be done) and old kits, all things for the .1% His point wasn't a request....it was a statement that no 20 people thrashing the catalog want the same thing and if you can't get 20 people here to want to buy something...there's not a market for it....

This thread is proof he was right.

Last edited:
First: What I really NEED from Estes is your motors. Everything else, I could get elsewhere if I needed to (parts, kits, etc.). Your production and distribution of motors is what nobody else can match (don't get me started on Quest BP... they're fine, but their variety and distribution can't match yours). So, I want you to do whatever it takes for you to be able to continue to produce and distribute via mass market your motors. If this means a whole lot of RTF/ARF/E2X etc (which I never buy), then more power to you. Overpriced flight packs at Target/Walmart? Bring 'em on! I want your business model to be healthy, and I understand and won't complain if this means most of your birds are not of interest to me.

After reading the thread, Marc essentially hit on it for me.

Across the room I can see my stash of Estes Rockets and my range box with Estes motors. I buy far, far more Estes motors than I do Estes rockets. Moreover, for this hobby to remain viable for me, I need a local source for motors (preferably at a place that offers 40% off coupons with strange frequency).

So, in marketing terms, what I want Estes to do is continue to design and sell whatever rockets at the Hobby Lobbies of the world, the Walmarts of the world that will continue to also keep those motors in stock at those locations.

It's good for Estes and its good for me. (Probably even good for Rocketry as well.)

Longer delays, especially small motors e.g. A3-6T
If Semroc returns to their former glory, we won't need Estes parts.
We've all noticed that mass merchandisers that carry hobby rockets greatly increase their starter kit inventory before Christmas, and that inventory is almost empty by New Year. This is the Estes target customer. And that's where the money is, we understand that. Those that get hooked soon find that there are dozens of model rocket manufacturers out there. Plus the high power people. I have a pile of Estes kits in the build queue but they get pushed aside because there is something interesting I want to try.

Back to topic: Longer motor delays; a Cineroc style nose cone with a video camera, preferably to fit various diameters; short 18mm motors ("S" series, I make my own.)

So, in marketing terms, what I want Estes to do is continue to design and sell whatever rockets at the Hobby Lobbies of the world, the Walmarts of the world that will continue to also keep those motors in stock at those locations.

It's good for Estes and its good for me. (Probably even good for Rocketry as well.)
Bingo!

Last edited:
Rockets with cameras, simple as that. Estes made this market, and I believe one of the offerings remains the biggest selling model of all time. And yet they haven't sold a camera rocket in many years now, despite the fact that the electronics are constantly getting better, smaller, lighter, cheaper.

To paraphrase a post up top, people are taping key fob cams to their Big Berthas, for crying out loud.

Could be higher quality still photos, a variable shot angle, digital video to flash memory, real time to ground monitor (as with the new Estes quad copter), or some combination.

Best would be a truly well thought out modular system, with photographic nosecones or payload assemblies that can be moved from one dedicated launch vehicle to another - single stage, multi-stage, PSII, boost glider (I'm serious) that are all marketed in an aerial photography series.

The really dedicated home rocket builder can cobble something like this together, sure. But an off the shelf Estes-branded dedicated rocket/camera system is something that will appeal to a much larger audience and should always be in the catalog, in one form or another, evolving along with available technology.

This is so true. I've got a keychain camera, but I hate dealing with the screwy user interface. And it doesn't seem very "rocketry" to be taping a key fob to the side of a rocket. People absolutely LOVE posting pictures and video these days of everything they do. A nice camera module that has a simple interface for downloading to your computer and/or uploading to social media would be great. And think of the boost to the hobby of being able to easily post your awsome flights to YouTube or your favorite social sites.

There have been off-the-shelf RC RGs from Estes a few times in the last 20 years (you may have missed them) from the AstroBlaster (a real builders model) to the T-25 Centurian (an ARF rocket glider).

Quote Originally Posted by JumpJet View Post

Maybe someone can start a positive thread on what people believe Estes should produce, and no, the B14 motor isn't going to happen. Lets see if you can get 20 people to agree on the exact same thing, and I'm not talking about 20 people wanting the same discontinued kit being brought back. Think new and exciting stuff that more than .1 percent of the fliers out there might be interested in. I'll read the thread and maybe I'll "Learn Something" as stated on the NCIS New Orleans TV show.

His point wasn't a request....it was a statement that no 20 people thrashing the catalog want the same thing and if you can't get 20 people here to want to buy something...there's not a market for it....

This thread is proof he was right.

I think your term for it was a bit harsh but I too read this as if he had his sarcasm filter on (which I don't have any problem with BTW; I believe that, at heart, John Boren is one of us). And I think you are right on about this thread. Keep on wishin' y'all !

Last edited:
Whether Estes takes any of these suggestions to heart (or too development), I don't see any harm in putting together this kind of wish list. Maybe someone else will see a market for these ideas and will do it instead of Estes.

Back