A positive thread on what people believe Estes should produce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been said here before but would like bulk packs of Nose Cones. Rather than the mix and match, I'd like to see 4 or 8 packs of single size and shape. Same thing with launch lugs, bulk packs of a single size.
Anyway, I don't buy a lot of kits, but Estes has an interesting variety. I really like the crayon design, makes engine loading a snap.

Thank you for the update John! Glad to hear more scale is coming since that's my thing..About RC gliders, would love to see a nice Space Shuttle full stack kit with RC orbiter, similar to what Sheri's Hot rockets produced briefly. I know that's just a pipe dream and would probably not work for Estes but since everyone else here is posting their fantasy I figured I'd just pile on. I fly the Estes 1284 Shuttle stack and have often thought how nice it would be if you could control the descent of the orbiter.

Glenn

2X on More PSII kits - Upscale some good classics like the Honest John, Fat Boy, V2, etc. Jayhawk and Bomarc perhaps?

2X Bulk packs of C and D motors. Variety in delay times is OK, but no A8-3's packed with C's.

2X on Bulk packs of nose cones of the same type.

2X on Round cross-section sewing elastic shock cords. I buy this in bulk, but nice to have it in the kit already, perhaps with some kevlar as a leader to prevent it from burning.

Airplane models. Not asking for the old Centuri Fighter Fleet, (would be nice) but something more like the Sunward products that are no longer available. Make them BT-55/BT60 or PSII sized. The Screaming Eagle (Estes, not the Original Centuri 4fNC) is a good design. Builds Nicely, Upscale it.

PSII kit parts assortments (airframes, nose cones, etc.) for repairs and scratch building / parts commonality. Two pack of the tubes, perhaps, maybe a designers special with all PSII parts. That would be good for the folks who don't usually do a lot of scratch building without a net. Toss in a couple of 2x29mm centering rings in there, maybe a 3X and 4X 29mm for the PSII Der Red Max 4" tube, and put a couple of those in there.

Maybe sell the PSII kits without Chutes. Sell them separately. I have chutes coming out my ass. Perhaps do this for Skill 4 and 5 versions only.

I don't do a lot of kit building any more, but I have built most of the PSII kits after getting a Leviathan in a raffle. It was good quality. It got me buying kits again.

Leave the classics to Semroc/Erockets Glad that happened and Semroc will continue. We can get our SIB from them.

Just a marketing idea, can a lot of the duplicate rockets in the catalog. That just fattens the catalog. Looks like GM selling 5 copies of the same car with different front ends.

Last edited:
I was hoping to see a re-release of the BT-55 Bomarc, not necessarily the BG version.

I built a non glide version of this about 7 years ago and it is sitting in my office at work.

John Boren

I built a non glide version of this about 7 years ago and it is sitting in my office at work.

John Boren

Heh, I still have my Bomarc from (1982?) Of course, it has done the whole 'ship of Theseus' thing in that the only original parts left are the ramjet nose cones. The rocket has been completely rebuilt (twice!) with a built up balsa wood 'spine'.

Another opinion...I don't think Estes should do builder kits that are easily 'cloned'. It seems to be redundant, with existence of online archives (that you can download), and cottage industries that can cater to just about any tube size or simple nose cones. For instance, though the QCC Explorer has a 'simple' nose cone, the intakes would be a nightmare (unless you have a laser cutter machine) to duplicate in balsa. In that sense, it's a great kit for Estes...challenging, good looking, and not easily cloned. A perfect kit in that most of us builder types would simply buy another kit instead of trying to rebuild a completely destroyed one. Note I'm not saying that it couldn't be cloned, just that it would be MUCH easier to buy another one. Same thing with kits that have unique nose cones (anything that uses the old Rigel 3/Odyssey nose cone as an example)...'builder' kits that are good looking, challenging, and difficult to clone. Verses something like the Bomarc, which looks complicated on the face of it, but is actually pretty simple. The engine nose cones could be easily built from paper, the spine built from layered balsa, shaped and slotted as needed.

Looking at kits such as the Cosmic Interceptor, Black Star Voyager, Dark Energy, etc...I really like what I see.

FC

Last edited:
I was looking through old Centuri catelogs online while doing some research.
For those of us that want to see some older kits come back (excluding exotics) I was taking note how many of the late 60's, earliy 70' rockets look a lot like new kits.
Other than different colors, decals, names in some cases, and maybe a nose cone change; The Oldies are still around.
But I do like the package that says, "Classic Series". It just makes it special some how.
I try to buy 3 when I can. One to build n fly, 1 for investment to leave 1 each of to my two sons as collectors.
When I look at these old catelogs and see a MSRP of $3 - $5 on most of thins I'm spending $30 min. plus shipping for now... I don't think I can go wrong.
10 Times investment in as little as 10 years for the popular ones. I think future collectors will be looking a date codes more closely in the future so buy early.
The only problem so far I have with this is trying to get OOP rockets in lots of 3, and the funding for ALL kits.

I would like to echo Ktesh and a couple others - most bring-backs are easy enough to clone with parts available from other vendors, but I think a replica of the Cineroc with a digital camera inside would be a really big plus. There was a shear elegance to the Cineroc/Omega combo that is pretty much unbeatable.

Another thought - is it possible to extend the 13mm casings to 2.75 inches? Not for all the T motor line, but to add a small 13mm B motor, and maybe move the A10 to the longer casing so you could add longer delay A10 motors. An A10-5 or 6 would be awesome for contest flying!

The Cineroc capsule could become a carrier vehicle for a number of electronic items, obviously starting with altimeters.

Maybe a "Cyberoc" with downloadable video and downloadable enhanced altimeter info?

Since the actual electronics are smaller now, they could be scaled down for launch in BT-20 or -50 size models. Or maybe offered as plug-in modules which could be adapted to different BT sizes.

If the Omega/Cineroc were brought back, I'd really love for them to have that CINEROC omega decal included for the Omega's sustainer. I know it didn't ship w/the original, but it was on the model in the catalog, and I can assure you, that our 3rd party decal makers have had a lot of grief over them (sorry guys for all the grief).

Since the 808 Keychain cameras are so popular, how about a capsule nosecone designed to carry the camera. something with a hole to peek out, and easily loadable on the pad so you can turn the camera on just before flight?

Since the 808 Keychain cameras are so popular, how about a capsule nosecone designed to carry the camera. something with a hole to peek out, and easily loadable on the pad so you can turn the camera on just before flight?

I would think it would be possible to order up a cartonload of the 808 cameras, take the guts out of the keychain shell and put them inside some kind of plastic fairing which could adapt to fit almost any BT size, and build a similar fairing which could hold an altimeter.

I suppose we're not too many years away from reasonably affordable smartphone apps which could transmit or download video and other telemetry in real time (or within minutes after landing).

+1 on more scales !

More Scale: There's more to come
:D :D :D
An idea on scale !
a blast from the past like theme, not all have to be on the same scale the Mercury Redstone(I know its coming soon)
Mercury Atlas, Gemini Titan(2 engine cluster), the Titian IIIE you have the nosecone and adapter (TARC), Saturn IB, Space Shuttle Stack,
And, Probably NASA has asked too, ... an SLS model :D :D :D :D
I might be asking too much.

Rubber Shock Cords: LONG LIVE RUBBER SHOCK CORDS, Down with Kevlar. Places like Apogee welcome your purchase of their Kevlar. Kevlar burns and breaks just like rubber, plus it zippers.

John Boren[/QUOTE]

I get where you're coming from; I have burned some Kevlar shock cords myself. I don't think it's the rubber shock cord as much as the tri-fold tea bag mounting method. I love little rockets with bt 5 tubes, but that bottleneck in the tube from the shock mount is a consistent pain in the rear. And if you do burn the rubber it takes some tedious surgery to peel off the old mount and replace it.

Last edited:
I would think it would be possible to order up a cartonload of the 808 cameras, take the guts out of the keychain shell and put them inside some kind of plastic fairing which could adapt to fit almost any BT size, and build a similar fairing which could hold an altimeter.

I suppose we're not too many years away from reasonably affordable smartphone apps which could transmit or download video and other telemetry in real time (or within minutes after landing).

+1
I really like the Idea of the fairing. You buy the fairing with the camera component in it, then you buy the a 3M adhesive backed base plate to fit the BT you want to use it on. That way you can buy as many different base plates for however many different sized rockets you want and just snap the camera from one rocket to another.
You could mount it anywhere on the air frame to give the best of lift off, flight and recovery. The gray 3M tape used on automotive moldings is the strongest that can be had. They use the same tape in high rise buildings to keep glass panels in as well as store front framing.

I would like to see the shock cord mount change from the tea bag to a kevlar attached to the motor mount and a swivel for the rubber cord attached just below the top of the air frame. INMO that is the best set up for LPR.

I've had some Kevlar zippers too -- I use sewing elastic (usually 1/4") anchored with a version of the "shock lock" illustrated in older editions of the HBOMR.

Last edited:
Another thought - is it possible to extend the 13mm casings to 2.75 inches? Not for all the T motor line, but to add a small 13mm B motor, and maybe move the A10 to the longer casing so you could add longer delay A10 motors. An A10-5 or 6 would be awesome for contest flying!

Excellent Idea.

I have been playing with the Aerotech 18mm D motors, they give small but heavier projects (BT55 based Colonial Viper) the thrust they need without having to use 24mm.

A longer 18mm motor casing, say as long as an E9 would allow for longer burning motors, 18mm BP D's, (maybe) and use the same motor hook.

Also, on shock cords. I have done some work with heat shrink tubing over the kevlar. I switched to the kevlar at the MMT to get away from the "teabag" but yeah, it can zipper. The tubing is easy to reapply. It acts as an ablative.

One other method I have used on larger airframes is to mount a kevlar loop inside the top of the airframe that does NOT extend past the end, but is easy enough to hook a snap swivel to it.

Last edited:
... snip ...
Here are a few items I can comment on.

More Scale: There's more to come

Upscale old kits: YES. in most cases this might be better then a simple bring back.

Higher Skill Level kits: For many years Estes didn't have any skill level 4 and skill level 5 kits, now we do and there are more to come.

Orbital Transport type model: I've got two in testing.

... snip ...
John Boren

Well these four certainly make me happy. Now I think we need a new thread to see just which kits we'd like to see upscaled. I'd suggest aiming for scales appropriate for 29mm motors.

Thanks, as always.

Well these four certainly make me happy. Now I think we need a new thread to see just which kits we'd like to see upscaled. I'd suggest aiming for scales appropriate for 29mm motors.

Thanks, as always.

Blackhawk, Strike Fighter, SR-71, trident II, Explorer Aquarius would all be cool upscales....

Phoenix, executioner, Optima, Super Big Bertha, Big Daddy Could all withstand a PSII conversion in current scale.

2x Mars Lander and/or Outlander and/or Asteroid Hunter upscales would be near the top of my list. Most of the other 3FNC kits can be replicated pretty easily from existing parts. I have the parts and decals for a 2x QCC Explorer and a 4x Big Daddy (yes, 12" diameter) already. I'll second Phill's request for a larger Mars Snooper III revisit too. BTW, I have the Conquest kit sitting next to me, I just need to scan the parts for an upscale before I build it. If Estes does not have plans to revive or upscale older kits, can we get them to release the CAD drawings for the parts? Most of the new kit designs coming out are excellent and I have a huge build pile waiting for me to retire.

Upscales? PSII Cherokee D, Centuri Hornet, Yellow Jacket, Patriot (Citation, not the missile), Maxi Icarus, Sizzler (1906), HOJO, Centuri Spirit of America.

Updated to PSII? Optima

Last edited:
An ejection charge that isn't quite as robust as the typical .44 Magnum round?

A3-6T : We tried, can no longer get 6 seconds of delay in the case with the black powder available

I was afraid that was the answer. Drat.

Sounds like some fun stuff coming. Are you going to be out here for NARCON?

But, following up on Bill E's comment just above - maybe some more case space can be had by toning down the ejection charge just a bit? :D

+1 on the Saturn 1B
+1 on the thicker tubes BT-20 BT-50
+1 on nose cones
+1 on parts (I know this is probably not going to happen though, from a financial standpoint having a parts inventory for one off sales is costly hence part packs) Hopefully eRockets will bring this Semroc quality back to fruition
+1 on more builder PSII kits
I like the idea of having limited edition runs of classic kits, though I would rather see investment in R&D around new designs and pushing the envelope. There are plenty of places out there to get the info and parts to scratch a classic design. Well most of them.
I like unusual builder kits. Sci-Fi that sort of thing.

Get rid of rubber band's in the PSII kits. Or offer an upgrade pack to the PSII kits that have a Kevlar replacement.

Lots and lots of great suggestions. I would buy...well, a lot of them :D

I totally get the financial angle. I work in a small company, and it's front-and-center to almost every decision. Whether I like it or not :p

I DO like the upscales and re-releases. Those happen to appeal greatly to BARs and older modelers. That's ALSO just the way it is.

I'll just throw out a few of the things I'd like to see, that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Maxi-Brute/NCR X-wing fighter. I had the "small" one, and enjoyed the heck out of it. The big one went OOP before I could afford it. I would SO buy one of those. It does have a lot of plastic. Anything that requires new tooling (if they don't still have the old ones) is going to require serious financial justification. I would settle for the small one. The small ones can be had on the auction site, but the big one is mucho difficult to find.

I'm going to echo the upscales again. Interceptor, Satellite Interceptor, etc. Especially the kits that are above 3FNC (call them 3CFNC for 3 complex fins and NC).

Colonial Viper - this would be better upscale, but like the X-wing, I'd take the smaller one. The only unique things are decals and the funky nose cone (I'm OK with the "non-scale" BT as fuselage, without the taper).

Upscale the Orbital Transport (yes, I have aspirations to doing one from scratch, but - and this applies for me, and for lots of people, to lots of these kits - time is in REALLY short supply. I'd buy a kit before I'd ever get around to gathering all the stuff. Because rocketry is only ONE of the things I do.)

Electronics - this is kind of open-ended. With the advent of the Maker Movement, and micros and sensors everywhere (Arduino, TI Launchpad, Beaglebone, etc, etc, etc), it might be good to come up with some hardware and perhaps some example software compatible with one of these popular ecosystems. The other side of that (and where more potential profit rests, honestly) is complete, ready-to-use electronics like cameras and such, as many here have proposed already. The trick for Estes is: generate good ideas (meaning ones they can make money on), and executing (getting the designs without spending or hiring a lot). I don't know if they have thought about that much. They obviously have done electronic products in the past, but the economics are fairly different now. This is actually part of my profession, so it crosses my mind a lot. I think it's something to pursue. Even if Estes rebrands and resells items that are obtainable elsewhere (keychain cameras, USB-based widgets), BUT adds support material like instructions, example video, etc aimed at the beginner, that could be a low-risk, low-entrance-cost path for them. And that kind of thing would probably find some support in the educational market also.

I must say, I am enjoying this thread greatly.

Back