Telemini

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sr-71

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the telemini 1.0 will be back in stock or where to find a used one?

I wish I knew. I am afraid to fly mine anymore because they are so hard to get. I've tried finding a used one a few times with no luck.

I just talked with Bdale regarding when dongles will be back available. He said they were on track to have them ready to go in February, with teleBTs out a few weeks later. So it sounds like things are beginning to come back in stock.

s6

Does anyone know when the telemini 1.0 will be back in stock or where to find a used one?

We've been too busy with other products to get back to TeleMini. We built a couple of prototypes of a 0.8" wide version, but never got them working (TI was having production problems with the CPU we use after switching manufacturing facilities). We'd love got get some feedback on what you're looking for in a new version. The original one never sold very well, so we want to tweak the design to try and make it useful for more people.

I LOVE the original one. There is really nothing I would change about it. The small size is awesome, there is just nothing that gets close to it when you consider that it fits in such a tiny space! I was able to get a Telemini, a Raven 2, two batteries, a screw switch and a magnetic switch all in a 29mm nosecone flew it to 12k+ and mach 2+ then recovered it without issue. I just wish I could get my hands on one more just in case I ever lose mine. I'm really surprised they didn't sell well. Maybe people were just intimidated by the small size or that it sounds complicated?? I don't know.

The reason why I am trying to find a Telemini is because I am trying to go for an altitude record. The electronic for this rocket design must meet four criteria. It needs to fit inside an 18mm tube, fire a pyro channel, give an altitude reading, and have some form of tracking. If the telemini is not available, does anyone know of a different electronic that will work.

No, not that I am aware of. But if there was another, I'd buy a couple. I'd like a single pyro with recording and tracking. Not sure how much.smaller single could be if at all.

The reason why I am trying to find a Telemini is because I am trying to go for an altitude record. The electronic for this rocket design must meet four criteria. It needs to fit inside an 18mm tube, fire a pyro channel, give an altitude reading, and have some form of tracking. If the telemini is not available, does anyone know of a different electronic that will work.

I don't think there is anything out there that small that is all-in-one that you desire. If you're going for a TRA record, as long as you're under 30k' baro device is fine. Above 30k' they require GPS with an "approved" device. I bet when the next batch
of records come in, they will be with Altus Metrum controllers. Kurt

Bdale and I chatted last night and decided to just build a few more TeleMini v1.0 boards by hand so we can have them in stock again.

Bdale and I chatted last night and decided to just build a few more TeleMini v1.0 boards by hand so we can have them in stock again.

I will take one Keith for sure. Let us know when they are ready.

Greg

SMT assembly isn't as hard as you imagine. You silk-screen solder paste onto the PCB and then stick the parts into that under a binocular microscope. Then cook the loaded boards in a griddle. Lots of tutorials on the net if you're interested; the only expensive tool I use is a binocular microscope. I've seen people use a big magnifying glass instead.

I ordered enough parts to build 12 units, and I'll post a note here when I get them finished.

SMT assembly isn't as hard as you imagine. You silk-screen solder paste onto the PCB and then stick the parts into that under a binocular microscope. Then cook the loaded boards in a griddle. Lots of tutorials on the net if you're interested; the only expensive tool I use is a binocular microscope. I've seen people use a big magnifying glass instead.

I ordered enough parts to build 12 units, and I'll post a note here when I get them finished.

Silk screen? Yeah that would make sense if doing a low volume production. Just get the registration correct, apply the paste with a squegee, apply the components then heat. Some use a low air flow volume heat gun to assist with getting the paste to flow
but I guess that isn't always necessary. I've heard of folks populating a kit board and if they can't get it done in one sitting, storing it in a refrigerator until they can do the rest of it. Kurt

Back