rocketry and apartment complexes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
I just signed a lease in Austin, TX

The lease says "no flammable or explosive substances" or something like it, and I'm just wondering about how to do rocketry there.

I'm mainly concerned about having motors shipped in that says "flammable solid" on the package itself, and that could lead to interesting conversations with the property manager. So what can I do about this?

Well you can always buy your motors from vendors at the local launch clubs but the problem is you will still be in violation of your lease agreement. Maybe you should talk to property manager and get a further explanation about the lease agreement and see if there is any flexibility regarding rocket motors.

bigger problem is if vendors will even show up at launch sites around here.

I don't know if I can have other club members hold them for me

Storage locker. Have a trusted rocket buddy, friend, or family member hold them for you?

Between rockets and guns, I don't think I'll ever live in an apartment.

Don't ask...

Don't tell...

"flamable is such a broad term anyways" (could even include 190 proof Everclear)

Then beg for forgiveness...

I dont really have any well known friend here. I just arrived.

Apartment sucks but it's all I can afford at the moment.

I realize the don't ask don't tell thing, but when a motor shipment comes in with a BIG sticker saying "flammable solid", that's going to stir up a hornet's nest.

I live in an apartment with the same restrictions, and I asked for clarification, they told me no gasoline, or LP Gas canisters, which also means no BBQ. (Bastards!!!!!) I have my motors shipped to my office and I have never had a problem. Though I do get some curious looks from my co-workers when I get a package that has an explosives label on it, but they all know what a rocket nerd I am and know that it is just me getting more motors.

Our club, AARG, is having a quarterly club meeting on either the 22nd or 29th (not finalized yet). This is at Rudy's on north 183. Come meet some of the members and/or come to a launch (first Saturday of the month). We can discuss your problem then. You can follow launch info and other chatter here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rocketry-austin/conversations/messages

We expect to have a motor vendor at our launches, perhaps not every launch, but at many of them. You can contact him here:

https://www.the-motorman.net/6494.html

Welcome to Austin!

Jim

No clue. You'll need to get to know the Cap Metro schedules and routes.

The Rudy's BBQ of interest is at 11570 Research Blvd. Most likely, the 29th. Where's your appt?

Jim

That will be a bit of a hike, particularly around rush hour (Austin traffic is awful).

Jim

There was the same clause in the house I was renting, talked to the landlord and he said it was primary large quantities of gasoline etc. that clause was meant to restrict. Doesn't hurt to ask, it'll likely be ok, and it's better than getting evicted when maintenance comes by to fix something, and freaks out.

I was wondering if anyone's coming from South Austin may be able to get me a ride. I can help pay for gas.

Storage locker. Have a trusted rocket buddy, friend, or family member hold them for you?

Between rockets and guns, I don't think I'll ever live in an apartment.

Most storage lockers do not permit flammable material storage in their contracts.

Bob

I just asked for clarification and asked if model rocket motors were allowed, they said no.

I would just tell them that rocket motors are no more dangerous or hazardous than cleaning chemicals under your sink.:wink:

If they are REALLY that paranoid, that would probably include lithium (lipo) batteries if you're into electric RC.

I won't really argue with them. I think I will just get a box at a mailbox store and put it in a locked box.

I won't really do LPR much... I rather stick with HPR. I guess it would be fine if there's not a big warning label outside the box that would lead to interesting conversations.

Last edited:
Two things about this thread, rocket motors and Rudy's! I haven't had the worst BBQ in ages. I miss their pork tenderloin.

It's not worth discussing with the apartment complex, they are not going to make an exception for something they don't understand. Besides, most of those rules are written by insurance underwriters anyway. Don't draw attention to yourself. Get a PO box and mail all sorts of goodies there or pick up at local launches. Doesn't stop you from flying, heck it doesn't even slow you down a little.

I was just at that particular Rudy's... my stepmom's nephew treated me there. I'm staying at a hotel close to that particular store but my apartment complex is in South Austin. I'm not too sure how I'm going to get there, takes 30 minutes to drive there if the traffic is clear.

It's unlikely the apartment's rules relate to toy propellants on the LPR scale. Keep in mind, that a can of cooking spray is flammable and explosive. They can't ban everything that falls in line with their words. If it were me, I would ask for a list of things that they consider contraband and presuming it wasn't an outrageous list, I would be upfront about my activities, saying "toy model rockets like I get from Hobby Lobby or Micheal's" to rest any concerns. If they truly intend to ban rocketry items from the complex (which may or may not be within their power, depending on local laws), I wouldn't want to do it behind their backs.

Marc

It's unlikely the apartment's rules relate to toy propellants on the LPR scale. Keep in mind, that a can of cooking spray is flammable and explosive. They can't ban everything that falls in line with their words. If it were me, I would ask for a list of things that they consider contraband and presuming it wasn't an outrageous list, I would be upfront about my activities, saying "toy model rockets like I get from Hobby Lobby or Micheal's" to rest any concerns. If they truly intend to ban rocketry items from the complex (which may or may not be within their power, depending on local laws), I wouldn't want to do it behind their backs.

Marc

Cat is out of the bag already.

Well I would take Jim Jarvis' advice and switch the focus to the local scene. Probably goes without saying but you need to work out some kind of vehicular transportation other than the public buses. And get used to traffic everywhere, all the time. Good luck.

Last edited:
I just asked for clarification and asked if model rocket motors were allowed, they said no.

:facepalm:

This is why you "don't ask." Clearly people are ignorant. Whoever you asked doesn't have the foggiest idea what a model rocket motor is, or its properties. You and they have dozens of things that are FAR more flammable or hazardous all over the place in normal household stuff. You realize that toilet paper is flammable? I wonder how they feel about having all this easy-start, quick burning fire starting material in everyone's apartment.

Check out "Car to Go" in Austin. I don't know much about it but seen quite a few around there.

Back