Recovery system question for LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldrandler

Reaction score
Dear Rocketeers,

The most common recovery system in LPR is Kevlar to elastic to nose cone and attach the parachute to the nose cone. Would there be any benefit if there were two lengths of elastic attached to the Kevlar; one for the nose cone and another for the parachute ? I make the assumption that there would be sufficient roon inside the body tube for the extra elastic. Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance, Les Randler

Unnecessary. Unless you're dealing with a heavy nosecone that would relieve stress on the shock after chute opening. For example, if the nosecone is weighted, when the chute opens, there might be stress on the attachment point. Adding some elastic there might help prevent the nosecone attachment from breaking. For an unweighted, it probably wouldn't matter. That extra cord, however, will cause more tangling on decent.

I do not use the elastic at all. Replace it with Kevlar thread. Make it longer as it does not stretch.

You can just tie an overhand loop in the elastic part of the shock cord between the nose cone and the rocket (or between the nose cone and Kevlar leader, if you're using one) and attach the parachute to that-- that way the nosecone has some elastic between it and the parachute.

Later! OL JR :)

You can just tie an overhand loop in the elastic part of the shock cord between the nose cone and the rocket (or between the nose cone and Kevlar leader, if you're using one) and attach the parachute to that-- that way the nosecone has some elastic between it and the parachute. Later! OL JR :)

Ditto!
The shock cords provided in kits are usually too short.
The rule of thumb is the shock cord should be 3 - 4 times the length of the model.

Don't tie the parachute shroud lines to the screw eye in the nose cone base.
If tied there, the nose cone will swing in and out of the shroud lines during recovery making a tangled mess.
Tie the parachute to the overhand loop 1/3 the way down from the nose cone.
At 1/3 the way down the model descends (from the top) parachute, nose cone and rocket body.

Ditto!
The shock cords provided in kits are usually too short.
The rule of thumb is the shock cord should be 3 - 4 times the length of the model.

Don't tie the parachute shroud lines to the screw eye in the nose cone base.
If tied there, the nose cone will swing in and out of the shroud lines during recovery making a tangled mess.
Tie the parachute to the overhand loop 1/3 the way down from the nose cone.
At 1/3 the way down the model descends (from the top) parachute, nose cone and rocket body.

Sounds good to me, I'll give this method a try !

Having two cords would actually be a bad idea. The ejection charge applies pressure against the nose cone, forcing it out. It drags the chute out with it. It is possible, with a chute on a second cord, that the nose cone could come out and leave the chute inside the rocket. Not a good design.

A second elastic cord is unnecessary.
If building Kits; Replace the always Way to short supplied shockcord with your choice of 1/8" oval Elastic or Kevlar with Oval Elastic or straight Kevlar (note if using Only Kevlar use a minimum of 60" to ensure the Nose has time to slow before reaching the end of the non-stretching Kevlar).
Over time I've found 4times the model length is usually sufficent. I personally use 36" to 42" of 70-90lb Kevlar with 36" of 1/8" Oval Elastic
Connecting the Chute to the model should not be connecting the shroud lines to the nosecone Eye. Instead tie a Butterfly knot about 1/3 the distance between the Nosecone and forward end of the body tube ensures the chute will open without over loading. While either knot will work the butterfly knot is perferred over an overhand knot as it doesn't weaken the elastic as much as the overhand.

Shock-Cord Mount-e-sm_ready for retro installation_09-28-06.jpg

Shock-Cord Mount-f-sm_Butterfly & nosecone added_09-28-06.jpg

Shock-Cord Mount-h2_Retro mount 6pic pg2of2_09-28-06.jpg

ButterFly Knot_4pic tutorial pg_07-20-05.jpg

Last edited:
I just use Kevlar Thread, and make it longer than I think it needs to be.
My Semroc Blue Bird Zero had the Kevlar to Elastic Set-up, and on its second Flight, managed to slam, prang, bounce or whatever they like to call it, the Nose Cone into the Muzzle of the Body Tube.
I had to fill the Dent in the Nose Cone, and have not flown it since.
Even the smaller Rockets I've built recently use just Kevlar, and lots of it. I'm talkin' like 120 Inches of 350# on my 24mm BT 60 Estes Patriot, and even 100 inches of the same on my 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM.
The more length the better in my opinion, and getting the recovery device, Streamer or Chute' as far away from the Body Tube as Possible.
The length allows for drag to slow the Laundry upon deployment, so as not to have it just wrench itself out of where it is attached or risk "Zippering". I usually "Mindsim" my Rockets to deploy the Laundry at no greater than 20 Feet per Second of Velocity, but have farted around with Sims and done some launches where the Delay was too long. All Rockets have survived, and in the case of my TAN-SAM on 2 D12-5s, only required minimal repairs.
I've found that it is better to have the Recovery Device come out while the Rocket is still going up than to have it deploy when the Rocket is coming down fast.
YMMV.

I usually attach the elastic to the Kevlar, if I use elastic at all. In either case, I put the chute on the end of the shock cord and the nosecone is attached about 12" - 18" below that. Works very well and the nosecone doesn't tangle in the shroud lines.

I just use Kevlar Thread, and make it longer than I think it needs to be.
My Semroc Blue Bird Zero had the Kevlar to Elastic Set-up, and on its second Flight, managed to slam, prang, bounce or whatever they like to call it, the Nose Cone into the Muzzle of the Body Tube.
I had to fill the Dent in the Nose Cone, and have not flown it since.
Even the smaller Rockets I've built recently use just Kevlar, and lots of it. I'm talkin' like 120 Inches of 350# on my 24mm BT 60 Estes Patriot, and even 100 inches of the same on my 13mm AIM-120 AMRAAM.
The more length the better in my opinion, and getting the recovery device, Streamer or Chute' as far away from the Body Tube as Possible.
The length allows for drag to slow the Laundry upon deployment, so as not to have it just wrench itself out of where it is attached or risk "Zippering". I usually "Mindsim" my Rockets to deploy the Laundry at no greater than 20 Feet per Second of Velocity, but have farted around with Sims and done some launches where the Delay was too long. All Rockets have survived, and in the case of my TAN-SAM on 2 D12-5s, only required minimal repairs.
I've found that it is better to have the Recovery Device come out while the Rocket is still going up than to have it deploy when the Rocket is coming down fast.
YMMV.

TopRamen:
just so you know your lengths are very reasonable but the line weight doesn't have to be so heavy to do the job and outlast the model it's installed in;)
Yes it is very possible to use Kevlar only for your shock cords as long as they are indeed Long enough to allow the Nosecone to slow down before hitting the end of the cord.

Normally for most of my LPR & MPR models with motor mount anchored shockcords I'll start with 36-48" of Kevlar but Not anything nearly as heavy Strength wise as suggested above, usually 70-90lb Twisted or braided for models Up to about 2.5lbs and 100-130lb braided for models 2.5 to 3.3lbs Lift off weight. To this Kevlar is overhand knotted another 36" to 42" of 1/8" Oval elastic for LPR and MPRs up to about 2.5lb or, 36" to 60" of 1/4" flat elastic on larger MPR and Clustered Upscales. So you see the overall shock-line length of 10' to 12' isn't that extreme.

If using ONLY Kevlar than 10 to 12feet of 70-90lb or 12 -15feet of 100-130 for MPR models has proven to be just about right. This give the ejected nose cone plenty of Slowing down travel time without letting the body catch up or jurk it back creating "the Dreaded ESTES Dent".

Heavier MPR or HPR models would require longer lengths.

Years ago I purchased a roll of 250lb Braided kevlar that I've never found a good Rocket use for. I think I made a horizontal teather sling with it for my UpScale BT-80 size Orbital transport but I could just as easily used the 100 or 130lb braided Kevlar.
Heavier Kevlar lines May be needed on Larger Heavier HPR models but it is just to heavy and stiff for anything I fly.

Just about all my current fleet of Micro models use Kevlar only shocklines of 50-70lb x 30" to 36". Haven't lost a Nosecone or zippered a body on any size model over the last decade or so.

Why one may ask do I still use Kevlar/Elastic combinations? Actually I'm using Stainless Leader/Kevlar/Elastic combo's on all my LPR and MPR models now but that's another story.
The reason for the combination is to allow some stretch in the line to help lessen the opening load on the recovery system. by Placing the attachment point Butterfly knot about 1/3 of the shockcord length below the Nosecone it helps greatly reduce the opening shock on the chute while allow the Body and Nose to decelerate without bounce back.

TopRamen:
just so you know your lengths are very reasonable but the line weight doesn't have to be so heavy to do the job and outlast the model it's installed in;)
Yes it is very possible to use Kevlar only for your shock cords as long as they are indeed Long enough to allow the Nosecone to slow down before hitting the end of the cord.

Normally for most of my LPR & MPR models with motor mount anchored shockcords I'll start with 36-48" of Kevlar but Not anything nearly as heavy Strength wise as suggested above, usually 70-90lb Twisted or braided for models Up to about 2.5lbs and 100-130lb braided for models 2.5 to 3.3lbs Lift off weight. To this Kevlar is overhand knotted another 36" to 42" of 1/8" Oval elastic for LPR and MPRs up to about 2.5lb or, 36" to 60" of 1/4" flat elastic on larger MPR and Clustered Upscales. So you see the overall shock-line length of 10' to 12' isn't that extreme.

If using ONLY Kevlar than 10 to 12feet of 70-90lb or 12 -15feet of 100-130 for MPR models has proven to be just about right. This give the ejected nose cone plenty of Slowing down travel time without letting the body catch up or jurk it back creating "the Dreaded ESTES Dent".

Heavier MPR or HPR models would require longer lengths.

Years ago I purchased a roll of 250lb Braided kevlar that I've never found a good Rocket use for. I think I made a horizontal teather sling with it for my UpScale BT-80 size Orbital transport but I could just as easily used the 100 or 130lb braided Kevlar.
Heavier Kevlar lines May be needed on Larger Heavier HPR models but it is just to heavy and stiff for anything I fly.

Just about all my current fleet of Micro models use Kevlar only shocklines of 50-70lb x 30" to 36". Haven't lost a Nosecone or zippered a body on any size model over the last decade or so.

Why one may ask do I still use Kevlar/Elastic combinations? Actually I'm using Stainless Leader/Kevlar/Elastic combo's on all my LPR and MPR models now but that's another story.
The reason for the combination is to allow some stretch in the line to help lessen the opening load on the recovery system. by Placing the attachment point Butterfly knot about 1/3 of the shockcord length below the Nosecone it helps greatly reduce the opening shock on the chute while allow the Body and Nose to decelerate without bounce back.

I know I did'nt need to use such heavy weight Kevlar for LPR, but the only 100# stuff I could find I've had to order from Apogee.
I can get the 350# stuff from Amazon WAY CHEAPER as it is sold as "Spear Fishing Line", and does'nt cost $9 in Shipping and Handling alone.
Pretty sure I'll be sticking with Spearfishing Kevlar for the forseeable future. If I could get the yellow 100# stuff for my LPR Rockets at a reasonable price, in 30 or 50ft. lengths, with free shipping like I get on the Spearfishing Line, I'de gladly be using that for my LPR instead.

You can just tie an overhand loop in the elastic part of the shock cord between the nose cone and the rocket (or between the nose cone and Kevlar leader, if you're using one) and attach the parachute to that-- that way the nosecone has some elastic between it and the parachute.

Later! OL JR :)

I don't recommend this for several reasons. 1) I have tried this and the nose cone can snap back and foul the chute. 2) If the nose cone reaches the air frame the constanly bang all the way down. 3) In even the slightest wind the nose cone will end up spinning around n around n around wrappin thing up. And if you have a camera attached the rocket it doesn't do the video an good.
Just my 2 cents.
I use kevlar at the motor mount, to a swivel to elastic to a snap swivel to the cone, and shrould lines to a snap swivel to the nose cone.

I know I did'nt need to use such heavy weight Kevlar for LPR, but the only 100# stuff I could find I've had to order from Apogee.
I can get the 350# stuff from Amazon WAY CHEAPER as it is sold as "Spear Fishing Line", and does'nt cost $9 in Shipping and Handling alone.
Pretty sure I'll be sticking with Spearfishing Kevlar for the forseeable future. If I could get the yellow 100# stuff for my LPR Rockets at a reasonable price, in 30 or 50ft. lengths, with free shipping like I get on the Spearfishing Line, I'de gladly be using that for my LPR instead.

I believe I bought mine from Rocketarium by the foot. It was faily cheap. Can't say about shipping as I never order just one item. I'm sure it made no difference as light as it was with the rest of my order.

Just found some 70# Braided Kevlar on Amazon for like $30 for 300 Meters.
That oughta' last awhile.

I don't recommend this for several reasons. 1) I have tried this and the nose cone can snap back and foul the chute. 2) If the nose cone reaches the air frame the constanly bang all the way down. 3) In even the slightest wind the nose cone will end up spinning around n around n around wrappin thing up. And if you have a camera attached the rocket it doesn't do the video an good.
Just my 2 cents.
I use kevlar at the motor mount, to a swivel to elastic to a snap swivel to the cone, and shrould lines to a snap swivel to the nose cone.

You don't want a ton of length of elastic between the loop for the parachute and the nosecone. NO WAY do you want it "halfway down" so the cone can "bang into" the rocket as it descends.

Most rockets spin under the chute to some degree anyway, so I don't see that as a huge issue.

YMMV. Later! OL JR :)

Back