New Delaware Rocketry Club!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MDRA use to have a launch site at Coverdale Cross Rds and Rhodesdale, MD
I attended both of them once.
Rhodesdale, was bigger than Higgs.

JD

I remember sitting for days, well, hours maybe, on that bridge driving to Rehoboth one summer. THAT was less than ideal. Good luck with the club, Joker, used to be nothing but corn and chickens in that part of the world (Milton).

Thanks. And Milton still is nothing but chickens and corn.

Joker, do you have a launch field in mind? I guess it's a chicken and egg thing. You might start a club, but not find a place to launch; or find a place to launch, but not be able to start a club; or start a club and find a place to launch, but not be able to get a waiver. Lots to consider.

That being said, I'd drive to DE for a launch if it were on a different weekend from MDRA. I've missed the last three MDRA launches die to rain, so another option would be great.

Please do keep us informed on your progress.

Joker, do you have a launch field in mind? I guess it's a chicken and egg thing. You might start a club, but not find a place to launch; or find a place to launch, but not be able to start a club; or start a club and find a place to launch, but not be able to get a waiver. Lots to consider.

That being said, I'd drive to DE for a launch if it were on a different weekend from MDRA. I've missed the last three MDRA launches die to rain, so another option would be great.

Please do keep us informed on your progress.

We do actually have a field already reserved for our uses and I'm working on getting the section chartered by NAR. And as for the waiver, our field is only a little ways from where they used to hold punkin chunkin and they had a 10,000' waiver. Just incase.

Our biggest hurtle right now is going to be launch equipment. If we can't get any donations or gather the money up ourselves, then it's gonna be a pretty small set up from the start.

We do actually have a field already reserved for our uses and I'm working on getting the section chartered by NAR. And as for the waiver, our field is only a little ways from where they used to hold punkin chunkin and they had a 10,000' waiver. Just incase.

Our biggest hurtle right now is going to be launch equipment. If we can't get any donations or gather the money up ourselves, then it's gonna be a pretty small set up from the start.

That doesn't matter Patrick,,,
All clubs start small and accrue equipment over time...
You grow,,, you'll see...

Teddy

That doesn't matter Patrick,,,
All clubs start small and accrue equipment over time...
You grow,,, you'll see...

Teddy

Thanks for the insight Teddy. I hope some of the locals around here are willing to get into the hobby. Pretty hard to encourage when there isn't much for hobby stores anymore.

Great, that is just down the street from me (Seaford). You could start with a misfire alley set up.

Pat,,,,
If you get a decent launch site,,
and a nice high waiver,,
how much do you wanna bet everybody that lives NORTH of you that travels south
( right past your launch site ) to get to MDRA launches will join your club...
It's another launch opportunity.... Why wouldn't they....
Through the peak season the "Radical Rocketeers" run 2 launches / month....
Everybody wants to launch....

I'm not sayin it's going to be easy,,
But you will succeed and it will be worth while....

All the best Patrick,,,
Keep this thread goin,,,
I wanna know when I can join..............

Teddy

Scheduling will be an important factor. You've already said you will schedule on non-MDRA weekends so that will help get people (and equipment) out to your launches.

Here in New England, when the two big clubs were CMASS and CATO, we'd both make our schedules and if there wasn't a conflict, each club would see flyers from the other club.
MMMSC was started and set its schedule to try and avoid weekends for the other two clubs; this was especially necessary as the CMASS equipment was used until its own equipment stocks were built up.

RIMRA started last year and used equipment from CATO but many of their weekends coincided with MMMSC so those of us who were North of Boston went to Maine and those South of Boston went to Rhode Island.

This year, there will be an effort made to set schedules with no interference amongst the four clubs so that most New Englanders will have a weekly launch within 2 or 3 hours of them. For those who want, there are clubs in New Hampshire and Vermont as well as New York that will be closer than those mentioned above. Weather should be the only factor limiting someone from flying about as much as they could stand.

This year, there will be an effort made to set schedules with no interference amongst the four clubs so that most New Englanders will have a weekly launch within 2 or 3 hours of them. For those who want, there are clubs in New Hampshire and Vermont as well as New York that will be closer than those mentioned above. Weather should be the only factor limiting someone from flying about as much as they could stand.

This is exactly what I wish to accomplish when it comes to schedule. I'm not sure if there is any clubs in the northern Virginia area but I can do a little research and find out.

As far as launch equipment goes I'll probably be providing my own to keep everything simple. I have a pretty good design for the high power pads and the cost is around $35 each plus my time. But all those will have to wait until funds become available.

Once I see there is enough interest in the club I will complete the paperwork and have it all sent to NAR for approval. It seems as of right now the club will start off with about 15 members which in my mind is a good start.

Here's a question I would like some serious input on.

I am trying to write some bylaws and staging came to mind. Would it be wrong for me to state, "All rockets using staging or air start techniques must be equipped with a fail safe or cut off in the event of a malfunction, i.e. Accelerometer, tilt-o-meter or similar device."

I don't want to discourage fliers that use staging but I also don't want to see anyone get hurt.

I am trying to write some bylaws and staging came to mind. Would it be wrong for me to state, "All rockets using staging or air start techniques must be equipped with a fail safe or cut off in the event of a malfunction, i.e. Accelerometer, tilt-o-meter or similar device."

I don't want to discourage fliers that use staging but I also don't want to see anyone get hurt.

Starting out with a list of what you can't do is not, IMHO, not the way to go. A simple statement that all rockets will be reviewed for safe flight should suffice. Add in something like "Got something special? Talk to us before you bring it" if you want to help cover the bases.

Last edited:
Once you get your section chartered with the NAR, apply for a $250 section grant. It used to be just for safety equipment but they have opened it up to many other needs. I am sure launch equipment will be approved. SWARM received $250 for an excellent PA system.

Starting out with a list of what you can't do is not, IMHO, not the way to go. A simple statement that all rockets will be reviewed for safe flight should suffice. Add in something like "Got something special? Talk to us before you bring it" if you want to cover the basis can help.

Yes this is more along the lines of what should be written. Bylaws are more or less just the guidelines to follow as common procedure, so phased this way will keep the topic open.

Once you get your section chartered with the NAR, apply for a $250 section grant. It used to be just for safety equipment but they have opened it up to many other needs. I am sure launch equipment will be approved. SWARM received $250 for an excellent PA system.

As soon as I get the green light from the fire marshal for my safely and emergency protocol I will submit my charter application and then once that comes back, my grant application.

Fingers crossed on the grant.

The bylaw as it is written- "All rockets must receive an RSO approval before flight. "

Let us not argue over how many slices of the pie can be cut!

It is more important to recognize that there is pie that is NOT! being eaten!:2:

Bake A Bigger Pie!

Some one get this guy a pie. ASAP!!!

Maybe that was too deep dish for you to follow! But I was trying to bolster your point of there is room for more clubs.

Not every club is going to have a turf farm and 10k(M³sc) or 17k(MDRA) waiver, but every soccer field will do for A, B, C motors.

Don't you have to spend the money first then, they will reimburse you with provided receipt?

JD

Maybe that was too deep dish for you to follow! But I was trying to bolster your point of there is room for more clubs.

Not every club is going to have a turf farm and 10k(M³sc) or 17k(MDRA) waiver, but every soccer field will do for A, B, C motors.

Not too deep, I just love pie! In fact I ended up driving to the store and getting some pies. Really hit the spot.

Don't you have to spend the money first then, they will reimburse you with provided receipt?

JD

That is an option. The grants have to be used in such a manner where all receipts need to be documented and sent in to NAR. Below is a more practical way before paying out of pocket.

"Description of the funding requested; please provide detailed description of any equipment to be purchased (copies of catalog pricing, quotes, cost estimates)"

Bylaws are a permanent legal document that defines the purpose of the club, the club structure, organization, affiliations and defines the roles of the principals of the club and issues like elections, membership, committees, dues, etc. It does not define range procedures, and other policies that the committees of the club or the officers or members develop and may be changed without a vote of the members.

Here's a link to the CMASS Bylaws. https://www.cmass.org/images/documents/cmass_bylaws.pdf

Range rules are policies that the club will adopt and have no place in the bylaws.

Bob

Middletown, DE is where I stop for gas on the way home.
It's 28-30 miles to MDRA's Higg's farm from there....

JD

The only launch site we have rights to as of now is in Milton. I am currently talking to a couple of land owners in Middletown for a nice open area. This way anyone in northern Delaware will feel a little better about a shorter drive. I'm actually located in a perfect little town for Any launch site. Half an hour from anywhere!

Bylaws are a permanent legal document that defines the purpose of the club, the club structure, organization, affiliations and defines the roles of the principals of the club and issues like elections, membership, committees, dues, etc. It does not define range procedures, and other policies that the committees of the club or the officers or members develop and may be changed without a vote of the members.

Here's a link to the CMASS Bylaws. https://www.cmass.org/images/documents/cmass_bylaws.pdf

Range rules are policies that the club will adopt and have no place in the bylaws.

Bob

Yea I misunderstood the guidelines from the NAR website. I've fixed all the drafts now.

When you've set up a web site and have a launch site, please add your club to RocketReviews.com's Rocketry Club Database at:

https://www.rocketreviews.com/add-a-club.html

Thanks!

-- Roger

Once I find someone who can help me creat a website I will do just that.

Middletown, DE is where I stop for gas on the way home.
It's 28-30 miles to MDRA's Higg's farm from there....

JD

Middletown might be just a dream. With summit airport having exclusive airspace rights, a waiver might be impossible to obtain.

Well good news ladies and gents. The fire marshal has given the green light for the rocketry activity in Delaware and we should be up and running soon.

Wooooo Hooooooooooo....
lol...

Good for you Pat....

Teddy

Back