New Delaware Rocketry Club!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joker050608

Reaction score
Hello to everyone on the forum.
A few friends and fellow rocketeers, along with myself, have decided it is time to create a rocketry club in the small state of Delaware. We are now working on the legalities and appointing certain roles to get this ball rolling smoothly. After contacting the fire marshal and organizing a meeting with him, we will be scheduling our first meeting.

If there is anyone on this forum from the state of Delaware or lives close by and wants to join, please contact myself or feel free to reply here. Im always looking at the forum so I will most likely see it sooner than later.
Please PM me for contact info.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Last edited:
Um, they already have one:

MDRA

www.mdrocketry.org

JD

I am very aware of MDRA, I am a member myself. They hold launches in the state of Maryland only and I know quite a few people that either cant drive long distances or would like to stay local. I have already tried to have launches held in Delaware with MDRA to no avail. This club, like others, will be open to anyone who wants to become a member. I am also working with a local school to start up a rocketry after school program.

I am very aware of MDRA, I am a member myself. They hold launches in the state of Maryland only and I know quite a few people that either cant drive long distances or would like to stay local. I have already tried to have launches held in Delaware with MDRA to no avail. This club, like others, will be open to anyone who wants to become a member. I am also working with a local school to start up a rocketry after school program.
Bravo. The more clubs, the better.

I don't know what the focus of the Delaware club will be or all of what goes on at MDRA, but I've got to figure you wouldn't be going through the trouble of starting a club if you didn't see a need or a use for it. I read about MDRA activities here and hear about them from people in this area that attend from time to time. It sounds like a great club.

If you have local schools, scouts and other groups in Delaware along with regular flyers that don't want to or can't make the trip to Maryland, you should have great support in getting your club going. Who knows, someone from Jersey may even wander down there.
Don't be bothered by the naysayers and I wish you well in your efforts.
Keep us apprised of your progress.

Bravo. The more clubs, the better.

I don't know what the focus of the Delaware club will be or all of what goes on at MDRA, but I've got to figure you wouldn't be going through the trouble of starting a club if you didn't see a need or a use for it. I read about MDRA activities here and hear about them from people in this area that attend from time to time. It sounds like a great club.

If you have local schools, scouts and other groups in Delaware along with regular flyers that don't want to or can't make the trip to Maryland, you should have great support in getting your club going. Who knows, someone from Jersey may even wander down there.
Don't be bothered by the naysayers and I wish you well in your efforts.
Keep us apprised of your progress.

MDRA is a great club to be a part of. All good people there.

In the past couple hours I've gotten ahold of some of my teacher friends who are going to look into starting some rocketry related programs in their schools. It's good to know science teachers.

Bravo as well Joker..
Good for you guy's...
MDRA is a fantastic club..
So will yours be...
I'm sure you guys will do just great...
Particularly with all the schools in the area...
I'm in central NJ and enjoy the MDRA launches very much...
If there is anything I can do to help,, please don't hesitate to ask...

It's going to be an exciting year for you all....
Good for you....

Teddy

Thanks teddy. I'm just hoping we can bring together enough interest in the club to keep it up and running.

Hi Joker, nice to hear you're forming a club. What type of rocketry is going to be it's focus? As everyone has mentioned, MDRA is an excellent club and I attend launches from time to time, but I'm into LPR and lower (BP) MPR type rocketry. While MDRA has an LPR rack(s), they're pretty much an after-thought to the mid and high power launches.

If you're going to be messing more with LPR—you would have my interest.

That's great news! The more the merrier. I live in the Newark-Wilmington area. Delaware is pretty long for a small state though. Where are you? If you're in southern Sussex, I'd still be an hour and a half away. With all that's going on, 20 or 30 minutes for a local destination is realistic, but traveling several hours each way wouldn't be a real possibility.

Hi Joker, nice to hear you're forming a club. What type of rocketry is going to be it's focus? As everyone has mentioned, MDRA is an excellent club and I attend launches from time to time, but I'm into LPR and lower (BP) MPR type rocketry. While MDRA has an LPR rack(s), they're pretty much an after-thought to the mid and high power launches.

We are focusing on all types of rocketry. LPR,MPR,and HPR. This way everyone gets to play. I plan on having more low power racks because of different schools and scouts that might want to attend and join.

Still working on some donations and an on site vendor. I'm hoping AMW would be happy to help even though they'd be tied up with MDRA most of the time.

That's great news! The more the merrier. I live in the Newark-Wilmington area. Delaware is pretty long for a small state though. Where are you? If you're in southern Sussex, I'd still be an hour and a half away. With all that's going on, 20 or 30 minutes for a local destination is realistic, but traveling several hours each way wouldn't be a real possibility.

The only launch site we have rights to as of now is in Milton. I am currently talking to a couple of land owners in Middletown for a nice open area. This way anyone in northern Delaware will feel a little better about a shorter drive. I'm actually located in a perfect little town for Any launch site. Half an hour from anywhere!

I tend to disagree, MDRA owns enough LPR racks to launch up to I believe 16 at a time. Also, the club buys, builds, and maintains a "rocket bucket" full of C powered rockets to encourage and get more kids involved, I for one have watched some of the HPR guys (L2 and 3) watch the kids faces at our launches and make comments like "thats what its all about" etc. MDRA is accomodating to all levels of rocketry and invites/sponsors both the scouts and the Civil Air Patrol groups that attend regularly. So, to say LPR is pretty much an after thought doesn't do the club justice.

I tend to disagree, MDRA owns enough LPR racks to launch up to I believe 16 at a time. Also, the club buys, builds, and maintains a "rocket bucket" full of C powered rockets to encourage and get more kids involved, I for one have watched some of the HPR guys (L2 and 3) watch the kids faces at our launches and make comments like "thats what its all about" etc. MDRA is accomodating to all levels of rocketry and invites/sponsors both the scouts and the Civil Air Patrol groups that attend regularly. So, to say LPR is pretty much an after thought doesn't do the club justice.

Yes the MDRA does have LPR racks but the only time they bring all the racks is during red glare for the most part. And their bucket of rockets is one of the best things they could do for all the little ones running around out there. A bunch of the rockets in there (if not lost by now) I donated.

I too aim to have something for everyone.

I agree with dgreger. One of the things I have always liked about MDRA is the fact that LP rocketeers are given the same status at launches as the big guys. If they don't put more racks out there it's because there aren't enough people launching, but if there is a queue more racks are set up. I have personally witnessed days when the launch was canceled due to poor conditions EXCEPT for the LP rack that was set up to accommodate one single child who was visiting his father and wanted to fly. Any excuse to push the button is pretty much the way they roll at MDRA.

More power to you if you want to start a club closer to home, but I do think it's incorrect to characterize any part of the hobby as being an afterthought at MDRA. When Dick Stafford brought out the water rockets we all watched with interest. If it goes up, we want to see it.

Freedom to Fly

Last edited:
I don't think anyone was dissing anyone. I plan to focus equally on all rocketry types

PLENTY of room for more clubs. I actually think it's pretty sad that people are bringing up a club hours away as a default answer to someone talking about a club in a certain spot. Yo people, we need more! Closer! Not everyone is into taking a big road trip to go launch rockets.

Is it physically possible to launch a high power rocket in the State of Delaware and actually have enough distance for safety?

Or would that put the LCO in the middle of the bay?

It’s a joke people.

I'm just saying he's exaggerating on the distance and time.

You are correct. I didn't use a mapping program. I was going from memory when I went to the Bay Bridge and must have encountered less than ideal conditions. Same thing applies, not local by any stretch. Congrats on your ability to drive up and down the turnpike, not really enviable.

Is it physically possible to launch a high power rocket in the State of Delaware and actually have enough distance for safety?

Or would that put the LCO in the middle of the bay?

It’s a joke people.

I like it. Might only get a 300 feet waiver... That way it doesn't drift into Maryland.

I'm just saying he's exaggerating on the distance and time.

Good luck on your venture.

JD

Maybe he is stretching a the truth a little, but he is right, the more the merrier. There are people who either want to stay local, or can't travel an hour to make a Launch in Maryland. I dunno how MDRA is, but there are clubs out there that don't really advertise themselves outside of their local area and on NAR/Tripoli websites, so there is the concern of people really not knowing such places exist. Those are some concerns for another thread though.

You are correct. I didn't use a mapping program. I was going from memory when I went to the Bay Bridge and must have encountered less than ideal conditions. ...

I remember sitting for days, well, hours maybe, on that bridge driving to Rehoboth one summer. THAT was less than ideal. Good luck with the club, Joker, used to be nothing but corn and chickens in that part of the world (Milton).

Last edited:
Maybe he is stretching a the truth a little, but he is right, the more the merrier. There are people who either want to stay local, or can't travel an hour to make a Launch in Maryland. I dunno how MDRA is, but there are clubs out there that don't really advertise themselves outside of their local area and on NAR/Tripoli websites, so there is the concern of people really not knowing such places exist. Those are some concerns for another thread though.

MDRA is a great club to launch with and I will continue to launch with them. With their 17,000 feet waiver, what's not to love. But isn't life all about choices? With more choices people can have more fun.

I plan to deliberately schedule launch dates that do not overlap theirs for those people who really want to launch and can't make it that weekend and also the hardcore, wanna fly every day rocketeers. I can't promise that I'll have a great vendor like AMW, but if I have to work out some sort of consignment deal with him I will.

Back