Wildman Saab RB-05a 98mm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannyskid

Reaction score
On my way back to Iowa ready to start the new semester, I stopped at Wildman's. I was able to get my Saab-98 which is a new kit offered by Wildman utilizing the new thin walled tubing, HEDD end deployment, and the new polycarbonate nose cones. Currently, this kit is not quite ready to be shipped out to those who bought them on Black Saturday as the 4" versions of the new nose cones are not ready yet.

This kit includes:

4" diameter body tube
4" diameter coupler and vent band
2 x anodized aluminum bulkheads
75mm motor mount
6 x 1/8" thick G10 centering rings
8 x 1/8" thick G10 fins
4" polycarbonate nose cone

This is a very cool looking scale missile that utilizes light weight parts while still being able to fly larger motors. I expect to fly this rocket on large 54mm motors and small 75mm motors; however, depending on finished weight this rocket may be light enough to even fly large 38mm motors. Pictured below are the parts (minus the nose cone) and a dry fit (with 3:1 fiberglass nose cone to simulate how it will look) with a Pro54-6gxl case for size comparison.

IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2557.jpg

Manny

Thanks for posting, Manny. I have one of these on order and am looking forward to it. It's hard to tell from the photos, but I gather there's a small tab on the forward end of the fin to go in the slot. I couldn't help myself and had to do a side by side of my Pro54 6GXL and Pro75 4G cases. The 4G is a bit shorter, so I can see some extra L&M action in my future. With 6 CRs and injected fillets, the poor thing is going to look like a pin cushion with the amount of holes I'll have to make. :)

Looks like a really cool rocket! Can't wait to see some build pics.

On my way back to Iowa ready to start the new semester, I stopped at Wildman's. I was able to get my Saab-98 which is a new kit offered by Wildman utilizing the new thin walled tubing, HEDD end deployment, and the new polycarbonate nose cones. Currently, this kit is not quite ready to be shipped out to those who bought them on Black Saturday as the 4" versions of the new nose cones are not ready yet.

This kit includes:

4" diameter body tube
4" diameter coupler and vent band
2 x anodized aluminum bulkheads
75mm motor mount
6 x 1/8" thick G10 centering rings
8 x 1/8" thick G10 fins
4" polycarbonate nose cone

This is a very cool looking scale missile that utilizes light weight parts while still being able to fly larger motors. I expect to fly this rocket on large 54mm motors and small 75mm motors; however, depending on finished weight this rocket may be light enough to even fly large 38mm motors. Pictured below are the parts (minus the nose cone) and a dry fit (with 3:1 fiberglass nose cone to simulate how it will look) with a Pro54-6gxl case for size comparison.

View attachment 251424 View attachment 251425

Manny
The nose cone in the picture is not the cone that will come with the kit the cone that comes with will be a poly carb with phenolic tip .

Manny,

For record keeping sake, can you measure the OD of Tim's new thin wall 98mm tubing with a dial caliper and also measure the OD the 3:1 cone you have pictured?

Understood that the cone you have pictured is NOT the cone that comes with the kit, but I would be curious to know what the dimensional differences are.

Awesome looking rocket sir! Looking forward to seeing that puppy fly in Princeton. I am getting back into filming rockets this year... :grin:

Woohoo nice to hear you will be filming again young man

Manny,

For record keeping sake, can you measure the OD of Tim's new thin wall 98mm tubing with a dial caliper and also measure the OD the 3:1 cone you have pictured?

Understood that the cone you have pictured is NOT the cone that comes with the kit, but I would be curious to know what the dimensional differences are.

Awesome looking rocket sir! Looking forward to seeing that puppy fly in Princeton. I am getting back into filming rockets this year... :grin:

the fit looks very close in the picture. Tim do the new 4" cones have a metal tip????????????????????????

No he was using something else for the pic. Tim addressed it above.

Can't wait to get mine, that things going to get built first & fast!

CJ yes the NC is from the other guy but it looks like a close fit. Are you coming to Bong this Sat. the temps are going to be around 40. Its a heat wave up here in the North woods. I may see if Tim can bring my Saab with him with out NC so I can start to build it.
See Ya

CJ yes the NC is from the other guy but it looks like a close fit. Are you coming to Bong this Sat. the temps are going to be around 40. Its a heat wave up here in the North woods. I may see if Tim can bring my Saab with him with out NC so I can start to build it.
See Ya
Oh...heck NO!!!!

I'm home back down South, just got here a week before Xmas & I ain't goi'n nowhere till it warms up.....and that won't be till late Spring......see ya then.LOL

What am I missing? What are the top set of slots for? Are these slots simply covered up by the top two inches of the upper set of fins? Or, are there small tabs on the upper set of fins not seen in the photos?

Thank you,

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
If you look REALLY closely at the bottom fin in the picture it looks like there is a small tab just for alignment.

What am I missing? What are the top set of slots for? Are these slots simply covered up by the top two inches of the upper set of fins? Or, are there small tabs on the upper set of fins not seen in the photos?

Thank you,

For record keeping sake, can you measure the OD of Tim's new thin wall 98mm tubing with a dial caliper

Here are the measurements I took:

Tube:
OD: 4.008"
ID: 3.900”
Thickness: 0.054”

Coupler:
OD: 3.8675"
ID: 3.7515”
Thickness: 0.058"

Awesome! Glad to hear you are getting back into it, looking forward to see you out on the field!

Thank you,

View attachment 251501

The above posts are correct, there is a small tab on the fin that only goes in the thickness of the tube for alignment purposes.

IMG_2561.jpg

Back