Dream model rocket to build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xan2482

Reaction score
Hi,
Do you ever have a model rocket that would be considered in your mind the ultimate dream rocket to build? My dream model rocket would be the Estes Conquest model rocket.

Xan

Estes Strikefighter or 1284 Shuttle. I had both built in my younger years but never flew either. The good news is that I have both kits on hand; it is only the free time I currently lack. The Strikefighter just begs to be upscaled to HPR.

Doug

That's a difficult question to cast in absolute terms. The answer depends on where one happens to "be" in one's personal exploration of the hobby.

For me, right now, building the Mars Snooper and Mars Snooper II models would qualify. But building a large scale (HPR) Astrobee 1500 would too. A perfect entry for C Eggloft would round it out the selection, for now. Next year, that will change.

I can't pick one... But the short list is:

1/48 scale Saturn V (capable of flight)
1/1 scale AIM-9P Sidewinder Missile
Estes Cineroc 701-RC-8 (combo offer) from the kit.

Hi,
Do you ever have a model rocket that would be considered in your mind the ultimate dream rocket to build? My dream model rocket would be the Estes Conquest model rocket.
A dream to some... a nightmare to others!

Sea Slug:
Sea_Slug_missile.png

Of course, nobody is going to build a kit of this, especially not with detaching boosters. So it's going to have to be a scratch-build. Some day...

I can't pick one... But the short list is:

1/48 scale Saturn V (capable of flight)

Seen the cover of the January/February issue of "Sport Rocketry" yet? Chris Flanigan has been working on a 1/48-scale Saturn 1B for several years now. It's just a short hop from there to a similar Saturn V!

James

1:9 Scale (Actually 1:8.8877 scale) Boeing Bomarc: 5-D12 Clustered ejectable Pod, RC Controlled Glide Recovery. Been on the Drawing Board for over 10 years, Now that I'm two weeks from Retiring She might actually get built:)

1:9 Scale (Actually 1:8.8877 scale) Boeing Bomarc: 5-D12 Clustered ejectable Pod, RC Controlled Glide Recovery. Been on the Drawing Board for over 10 years, Now that I'm two weeks from Retiring She might actually get built:)

What size main BT is this? I've done gliding Bomarcs up to 4" diameter, and have some 6" BlueTube just sitting here.....considering making it a Bomarc since it would need 'only' like a 40" span delta main wing, and this would/may fit in the car too. Have to be 54mm, though..

You can do a BT80 Bomarc (sans ramjets) on an Estes BP motor and it glides pretty darned well. In fact, about 4 years ago I hit a boomer thermal and nearly lost it!! Also, have done them with cardstock/Depron to save even more weight...since the pod is the real 'backbone' of the craft you can get away with having the one-ply cardstock BT suffice for flight.

Not only this, but I've done a *paper* BT55 version (same size as classic Citation model). Yes, one ply paper for the main BT, and 2mm Depron for the flats, and even a rolled paper BT5 for the pod, since this flew on mini-motors. One 'hot' charge cooked it pretty good though.

Everyone should have a gliding Bomarc in their fleet, or five.

What size main BT is this? I've done gliding Bomarcs up to 4" diameter, and have some 6" BlueTube just sitting here.....considering making it a Bomarc since it would need 'only' like a 40" span delta main wing, and this would/may fit in the car too. Have to be 54mm, though..

You can do a BT80 Bomarc (sans ramjets) on an Estes BP motor and it glides pretty darned well. In fact, about 4 years ago I hit a boomer thermal and nearly lost it!! Also, have done them with cardstock/Depron to save even more weight...since the pod is the real 'backbone' of the craft you can get away with having the one-ply cardstock BT suffice for flight.

Not only this, but I've done a *paper* BT55 version (same size as classic Citation model). Yes, one ply paper for the main BT, and 2mm Depron for the flats, and even a rolled paper BT5 for the pod, since this flew on mini-motors. One 'hot' charge cooked it pretty good though.

Everyone should have a gliding Bomarc in their fleet, or five.

LOL! Mike you Are Correct! Everyone should have at least a few Bomarcs in their fleet!
I have Scale Scratch built Bomarcs from 1:125 Micro Maxx to BT-80 D-12 Clustered models, I think the fleet currently has 5 or 6 different scales. Adding the 1:8.888 Scale in standard Estes BT-101 (3.938"OD) would be as Large as this modeler will go as I do not fly APCP Period. Already have the turned built-up balsa nosecone tho I have yet to hollowed it out.

Based on my childhood years of slobbering over catologues and never having one would be the Centuri Saturn V. Perhaps a point of interest is that I do have Sheri's Saturn V waiting to be built. A second place model would be the Estes K-36 Saturn V which I also possess but yet to start. I've also got the Centuri Saturn 1b yet to be built.

Canaroc Starcruiser Warlock

Bought one as a kid but it was too hard for me at the time. It has been lost somewhere in time now.

I had built a Centuri Saturn V a long time ago....I was 16 and received it for my birthday but I really don't think I did it any justice. I'd love to have another to build again.

Back