• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Space Cowboy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to head out into the BlackRock desert and see if I can find/steal Chris' rocket. I think that's my best chance.

s6

I've looked for it for many hours/miles. I'm willing to bet it's off the playa. I'll look there come May.

It may have lost all 3 fins by the time I find it!

Tony

The build and flight were an awesome experience for me. I grew a lot in rocketry. My one major regret was launching in pretty high winds. Probably go fever. My decision, but if I could have that one back, I should have waited a day. Planning to go back with a rebuild, in some form or another. Have all of the parts, just deciding which ones I will use.

I've looked for it for many hours/miles. I'm willing to bet it's off the playa. I'll look there come May.

It may have lost all 3 fins by the time I find it!

Tony

Thanks Tony. I really appreciate it. You and the AeroPac crew do a great job at Black Rock.

From a machining standpoint those fins would be a PITA. The first side would be easy, just tape the material down to a board. The second side you'd basically have to machine a mold to support the material while you machined it.

One of these days I'll get serious about working in 3D, but software wise there's a large investment in both in cost and time to learn the tools.

From a machining standpoint those fins would be a PITA. The first side would be easy, just tape the material down to a board. The second side you'd basically have to machine a mold to support the material while you machined it.

One of these days I'll get serious about working in 3D, but software wise there's a large investment in both in cost and time to learn the tools.

So true. While something like this may be a tad difficult to mill professionally (would be easier with a 4 or 5 axis mill), it's nearly impossible for a hobbyist working on a 3 axis mill. It is doable, but it would take hours and hours with a lot of wasted workpieces along the way. The finer tolerances were down to 5000th of an inch. The leading edge at the tip was 0.007" (0.1778 mm).

Greg

Oh wow. I just finally found a picture of these fins. Now I understand the magic behind them. These things are a work of art. :)

Most of what Eric produces was a work of art. Our new launch pad is one of a kind and awesome. Now I have to buy trailer to carry to and from the launches. It will not fit in the trailer.

His kits and fins were well done. I pull one out to build and realize he stopped making them. I need to build another kit form badd azz.

Please see my post in Vendors section

Hi Eric,

Great to hear from you. I wasn't trying to get you out of retirement! Take it slow. Whether you are back some, a lot, not at all, it has been my pleasure knowing you from a distance anyway. Just glad to hear that you are still around.

Back